Venerable members of this group:

Noung$, mauler@+, legbagede, The Debutante@, aneurin, Voodoo Chile, tinymurmur, CloudStrife, Tlachtga, Kalkin, bishopred1, bookw56, Velox, Haschel47, McCart42, QuietLight, Tiefling, KGBNick, Domin, Zibblsnrt, pylon, Diabolic, Halcyonide, Two Sheds, gitm, LeoDV, Asphodel, Palpz, phiz, tokki, The Lush, Aerobe, MCX, Bakeroo, Mercuryblues, Nadine_2, Gorgonzola, Lila, futilelord, Auduster, per ou, dragon rage, yudabioye, TerribleAspect, corvus, Nzen, mcd
This group of 47 members is led by Noung$

Hannibal Barca, Carthaginian general; b. Carthage 247 BCE, d. Libyssa (near modern Bursa), Bithynia 183 or 182 BCE.

"Of all that befell the Romans and Carthaginians, good or bad, the cause was one man and one mind--Hannibal." --Polybius, Roman historian

Of all the great generals the world has seen, Hannibal Barca, son of the Carthaginian general Hamilcar Barca, ranks as one of the most able--and one of the most unlucky. His many victorious battles yielded scant gain and his few defeats were monumental in consequence. His name translates to "Joy of Baal" but ultimately the gods of Rome would laugh last.

Legend says that young Hannibal first went to war, alongside his father, during the conquest of southern Iberia. Following the First Punic War and the loss of Carthaginian territories, the Carthaginians turned their attention westward and let the Romans keep the Mediterranean islands they had gained. There in Iberia, the same story goes, his father, as part of the deal to take him to Iberia with him, swore him to dedicating his life to fighting Rome. Whether he took that oath as a child or not, this did become Hannibal's single pursuit in life.

Hannibal who, along with his brothers Hasdrubal, Hanno and Mago, would be one of a fearsome foursome of generals dubbed "the lion's brood" by the Romans, was afforded the education worthy of a general's son and was groomed for military life from a very young age. Indeed, by the age of 26, he had proven himself a skilled commander in the field and was himself chosen to be a general by the army he would command, taking over the Carthaginian troops in Iberia following the death of his brother-in-law (who had himself taken over after the death of Hamilcar in 230). He began to consolidate the Carthaginian hold on Iberia, took a local princess by the name of Imilce for his wife and, one by one, picked off any of the peninsula's tribes that resisted him.

In 218 the Second Punic War began. Hannibal viewed the close Roman relationship with Saguntum, an independent Greek enclave in Carthaginian territory, as a threat to the Carthaginian dominion in Iberia. With an army of veterans under his command, he attacked Saguntum and set the stage for a direct confrontation with Rome. After the eight-month siege ended in victory, he crossed the Ebro river and set out against Rome. It is during the sixteen years that followed that Hannibal and the motley army of mercenaries that he held together with sheer willpower and skilled leadership became a fighting force that is studied in military training 22 centuries later.

His trek across the Pyrenees and the Alps with his band of Numidian, African and Iberian men, overcoming hostile tribes in the former and famously guiding his elephants over the latter (though the exact route he took and whether it was the same one followed by Napoleon 2000 years later is still the subject of debate), is now the stuff of legend. Between the two mountain ranges, he fought and negotiated his way through Celtic, Greek and Roman territory but never intended to hold it. His mind was set on one prize: to break Roman domination over northern Italy and once again make Carthage mistress of the western Mediterranean.

In single-midedly pursuing this grand goal he ravaged Italy, leaving Roma and her allies with a death toll of at least 300,000. Every Roman legion he encountered, he routed with insight and tactics ahead of his day and age. He proceeded thoughtfully, taking care to have a good base in the rear before advancing and pioneered modern-style military intelligence where scouts, doubling as liaisons to the indigenous tribes, went ahead of the army and gathered useful information about the terrain and population ahead.

Indeed, nothing seemed to be able to stop this masterful general from taking his 35000 men and 37 elephants all the way to Rome. While he lost most of his elephants and 9000 of his men on his way to Italy, some due to defections by Iberian troops, some due to the Alpine winter and the hostile tribes of the Alps, his forces numbered about 40000, including a 6000-strong cavalry (with the addition of the Gaulish allies he had gained in the area). Since most of his elephants perished in the Alps, they did not all charge into the Roman legions spreading panic, as romantic historians would have it. A few elephants only go so far towards inciting fear and it was his cavalry that won victory over the Romans.

During the two years that followed he pressed southwards but skirted Rome itself, preferring instead to take a show of strength on the road and try to impress Rome's allies into switching allegiance while he solidly defeated every Roman army that came his way. In the field of diplomacy, his greatest but by far not sufficient success came when 12 of 30 colonies refused to contribute men to the Roman struggle. Even when he came within three miles of the city walls, he never made the decision to attack the city itself but continued to try and incite hostility against the Romans. Given Rome's track record of rebounding given half a chance, that turned out to be a grave strategic error.

Around the same time he made a pact with Philip V of Macedonia, wanting him to keep the Romans occupied in Greece. His good political sense did not have the material backing he had promised Philip and, when the Carthaginian navy never materialised to help Philip in his own war, the alliance fell apart.

"Hannibal ad portas!" -- "Hannibal at the gates," was a Latin phrase which is still used today to indicate an imminent threat by a formidable force. His name served Roman parents as an ancient equivalent of the bogeyman for many years.

During this campaign, the Romans countered with a propaganda war, which was designed to discourage their smaller allies from siding with Hannibal. While the man may have been made the subject of many rumours, including cannibalism, the less biased accounts portray him more in the light of the gentlemanly (by the measure of the times, of course) warrior more commonly seen in the 18th and 19th centuries who treated his slain enemies with respect, negotiated prisoner swaps and took no more property than he needed to provision his army. Any sins the Romans ascribed to him were more likely to have been committed by his lieutenants or generals than by the man whose wit and personality held together an unprecedented patchwork of men for sixteen years and took care of them as well as their animals.

After a relative stalemate for the next few years in which Hannibal continued to parade up and down the Italian peninsula and gained and lost Sicily while the Romans reconsolidated their hold on northern Italy, the year 209 saw the war turn against him. Roman forces not only captured Cartagena, one of his main supply bases but also defeated his brother Hasdrubal in northern Spain as he marched to join Hannibal and gave Hannibal the news by throwing his head into his camp. For the next five years the Romans fought a war of attrition against the virtually resident invasion force and Hannibal saw his supplies stretched thinner and thinner while the Romans decided how to get rid of him. Hannibal proved himself to be an unrivalled master of tactics in the field but his army, like any army in hostile territory, was vulnerable to the Roman version of guerilla warfare. In the end, he was a fine strategist but not good enough to overcome the odds piling up against him and too bent on his own campaign to pay attention to the big picture and to his own domain.

In 204 Rome finally decided that the best way to get Hannibal out of Italy would be to reciprocate Hannibal's occupation of Italy by launching an invasion of Carthage. Scipio the Younger, later Scipio Africanus in honour of his African exploits, not only landed in North Africa but also, with his successes, forced Hannibal to send word that Carthage should sue for peace and accept his recall to his homeland. There, however, the presence of the hated Romans was too much for him to resist and he broke the armistice and attacked them. The decisive battle of that war in 202 saw a better-equipped Scipio, long a student of Hannibal's tactics, apply them against his unwilling teacher and deal him a solid defeat.

Following the end of the war that established Rome as the supreme power in the western and central Mediterranean and left Carthage without a navy or the ability to wage war, Hannibal remained an influential figure in Carthage and became a Shophet, or chief magistrate between 200 and 196. Hannibal, an honest man who, despite his failures in the field, had only the best in mind for his country, launched a full-scale attack on the privileges and corruption of the ruling aristocrats. As a leader of the people he became so influential and listened to that the rulers of Carthage themselves wanted him gone. They denounced him as part of a plot involving Antiochus III of Syria to attack Rome again. Rome promptly dispatched a team of investigators to Carthage but Hannibal was more or less convinced that they were coming to shoot first and ask questions later.

His flight took him to the court of his alleged co-conspirator in Ephesus, where he turned what had probably been a frame job into reality and incited Antiochus to take on Rome. An exile now, he still believed in Rome being the ultimate enemy. Antiochus' defeat in 190 spelled another journey for Hannibal since Antiochus' terms of surrender included handing over Hannibal to the Romans. His whereabouts during the following years are unknown but his mastery of both Latin and Greek (and probably an acquired skill in local dialects and knowledge of customs) saw him by some accounts in Crete, by others in Armenia where he helped found the city of Artaxata. Ultimately he found himself in Bithynia, at the court of king Prusias I whom he served as military advisor in his war with the Roman-backed king Eumenes II of nearby Pergamum, in which war he scored his only and famous naval victory by hurling pots full of snakes at the enemy ships in a crude and odd but imaginative form of biological warfare.

In 183 or the following year, unknown by what means, the Romans finally cornered their aging nemesis in a Bithynian village called Libyssa. There the old warrior, rather than suffer humiliation at the hands of his eternal foe, took the poison he had carried with him for at least 15 years in anticipation of this finale. Ironically, around the same time, his victor, Scipio, died... himself ostracised by his native Rome. In fact, Plutarch tells of an encounter at Ephesus in which Hannibal placed himself third on the list of great generals, after Alexander and Pyrrhus, both of whom he had studied as a youth. Upon Scipio's remark that he had, after all, defeated him, Hannibal said that, had he not been defeated by Scipio, he would have ranked himself first. Plutarch also mentions an oracle foretelling the circumstances of Hannibal's death: "Libyssan shall Hannibal enclose." The same historian, in his biography of Flaminius, also provides Hannibal's famous last words:

"Let us ease," said he, "the Romans of their continual dread and care, who think it long and tedious to await the death of a hated old man."

His tomb, built by the Roman emperor Severus, still exists near the Turkish town of Gebze.

One strange influence Hannibal has had on today's world comes, surprisingly, from the field of psychoanalysis. Sigmund Freud refers to Hannibal as a key to his own identity and role in life as a Jew under attack by Rome, the Rome of today being the Catholic church. Freud identifies himself and his father with Hannibal and Hamilcar and compares the impact of being told one of his father's childhood tales of oppression to that of the oath taken hy Hannibal as a boy.

And thus, with that little twist, ends the tale of one of the great warriors of old.

Roman religious tolerance is sometimes exaggerated. Religious groups were generally left alone as long as they seemed not to present any political or social threat; but non-traditional faiths (particularly the more outlandish Eastern imports) tended to be relegated to the outskirts of towns and were subject to the mockery of satirists and novelists. New or threatening ones were occasionally suppressed. Christianity wasn't alone.

In classical Rome, religious and public life were the same. Political power was enmeshed with religious ritual. Priests and magistrates were often the same men; Julius Caesar, who wasn't particularly devout, went to quite a bit of trouble to be elected chief priest (pontifex maximus), and the emperors always adopted the same title. Magistrates had religious duties as well as secular ones. Religious organizations were regulated surprisingly strictly; in particular, they were forbidden to keep a lot of cash on hand or to gather in large numbers, for fear that they planned some sort of insurrection. (In some ways, there's a parallel in modern Chinese governments: Realistically, the communist party leaders are probably not very interested in personal beliefs, but, with things like the Taiping rebellion in mind, they are very concerned about the political threat of new religious organizations.)

Though there was a sort of Roman orthodoxy, particularly after Augustus, Roman religion was very broad and very plastic. It generally accommodated foreign gods (though it was likely to eventually absorb them as aspects of existing deities) and rituals. Roman rulers were therefore pragmatic about things like respecting the faiths of conquered peoples: They weren't on a crusade and weren't eager to unnecessarily antagonize restive frontier peoples. At the same time, though, they were prepared to come down fairly hard on religions that seemed genuinely incompatible with the state religion. This included sects that:

  • were just distasteful (like the Gaulish druids, suppressed by Claudius on grounds that they practised human sacrifice);
  • were likely to be the centre of nationalist sentiment (arguably a more important reason for the eradication of those druids);
  • were linked to some kind of social disorder (like the cult of Bacchus outlawed in 186 BCE);
  • created closed communities, particularly ones that did not respect the Roman social order (Christianity was all the more alien and threatening because the early church preached egalitarianism at a time when the system of Roman social orders was becoming increasingly rigid);
  • insisted on strict exclusivity.

Exclusivity was a serious problem. At bottom, there were religious justifications for the way things worked in the Roman state; and even if these weren't widely believed or even much thought of, openly denying the existence of the traditional gods meant implicitly questioning Roman power and the whole order of Roman society. People whose faith prevented them from acknowledging religious festivals or otherwise going through the motions found themselves in a difficult position, and one that became much worse in the imperial period when it became good form to venerate the emperor. The Romans didn't (outside of Egypt, at least) worship the emperor per se, but they did worship dead ones that had been deified and sometimes -- more confusingly -- the "spirit" (genius or numen) of the current one. If you were a devotee of Isis or Mithras or a priest of some obscure Egyptian hippopotamus god, there was no problem; if you were Jewish or Christian, your faith forbade you to do any such thing.

Then there was simple fear and scapegoating. Nero, the first real persecutor, seems to have attacked the Christians to deflect public outrage over the fire of 64 (which he was later accused of having set himself) and his own misbehaviour. At other levels of society, it's not hard to see that the Christians might come to be hated and feared: Non-participation can be very threatening. Lurid stories came to be told of the strange, self-segregating Christians -- they killed babies1, and so on. While there's not a lot of evidence for anti-Christian pogroms, persecutions might easily have been politically popular.

The association of Christianity with Judaism didn't help either. Claudius (and he was not the first) expelled the Jews from Rome because of their "constant rioting"; according to Suetonius, "Chrestus" was to blame2. Later emperors faced a series of huge Jewish revolts in Palestine and riots in Alexandria. They came to see the independence-minded Jews as troublemakers, but left their formal persecution largely to later Christian emperors -- partly because a Jewish revolt was a much more serious threat than a Christian riot, partly because the Romans respected the antiquity of Judaism (as a modern Westerner might be more respectful of a Jain or Buddhist than a member of the wacky charismatic cult their neighbour had just started). Some writers and rulers feared the fanaticism and unruliness of both sects -- or, perhaps, the potential for trouble with cranky traditionalists within the same population.

Non-reasons for the persecutions include monotheism and other strictly theological differences. The Christians were not the empire's first or only monotheists.

* * *

The scale of the persecutions is contentious. Much of the information comes from Christian writers of the fourth century and later, and the Catholic church has always had an interest in emphasizing the demented cruelty of the persecutors and the heroism of the innocent martyrs -- most people have a vague idea that Christians were fed to lions, and anyone who's been treated to a Catholic upbringing (or spent much time in Italian churches) probably has vivid ideas of the sorts of hideous deaths involved. We can say that the persecutions did happen, in the sense that people were executed for being Christians; that there were probably eight to ten periods when they occurred; and that the scale seemed to increase as time went on.

The persecutions were of different types. The first was a sloppy attack on one of Rome's more defenceless minorities. Later ones became much more formal; under Trajan, being a Christian was illegal and there was a hearing (or, for citizens, a trial)3. By the third century the whole thing had become rather elaborate, with a standard protocol for the examinations. Generally, defendants were asked whether they were a Christian, and, if they responded in the affirmative, were given a choice between renouncing Christianity (sometimes by sacrificing to some other deity) and being executed. It has been suggested that the persecutions strengthened the church in various ways -- by giving it martyrs and a heroic past, by underlining the division between the Christian mini-society and the world at large, by impressing potential converts with the fervour of the martyrs, and by gaining sympathy among other citizens who saw Christians murdered simply for their religious beliefs.

All that said, here's a rough chronology of the persecutions:

The persecutions ended with the reign of Constantine (306-337, alone from 324), who was always sympathetic and was himself baptised on his deathbed (though he seems to have gradually converted years earlier). The short reign of Julian "the Apostate" marked the last test of Christianity, but by that time it was far too well-established to be really attacked. In the centuries that followed, the Roman and Byzantine churches established their spheres of influence, fought hard with heterodox sects over theological issues that now seem trifling or abstruse, and began, like abused children turning on the next generation, to dabble in persecutions of their own -- of the Jews, of pagans, and, increasingly, of "heretics" who rejected some part of orthodox theology.


1 This has always been a popular rumour to spread about religious sects. It was also told (by Christians) about Jews for something over a thousand years (it comes up in the Brothers Karamazov, for example), about masons, about some modern sects that have usually turned out to be pretty innocent, and about supposed "Satanic cults" that were thought to practise ritual child sexual abuse but generally turned out to not exist.

2 Suetonius may have this wrong -- it's probably too early for that sort of thing -- but it's significant that at the time he wrote (c.110) there was an idea about that Christianity was somehow linked to social disorder.

3 Trajan advises Pliny on how to go about the persecution: "These people must not be hunted out; if they are brought before you and the charge against them is proved, they must be punished, but in the case of anyone who denies that he is a Christian, and makes it clear that he is not by offering prayers to our gods, he is to be pardoned as a result of his repentance however suspect his past conduct may be." (Pliny, X.97; trans. Betty Radice)

Facts run by:
The Letters of the Younger Pliny, trans. Betty Radice, 1963.
A History of Rome, M.Cary and H.H. Scullard.
Oxford Classical Dictionary, Third Edition, 1996.
Religions of Rome, Beard, North and Price, 1998.
...among other sources.

The Dictionary of Classical Mythology is meant as a companion to the ancient Greek and Roman myths and legends. The story of every character, whether human or divine, major or minor, is retold here, detailing every version and variation. Naiads, dryads, hamadryads, nymphs, fauns, satyrs and centaurs - the different types of mythological figures are distinguiashed and fitted into the overall pattern of legendary events, and the places where these happened, such as Olympus, Arcadia, Troy, Crete and Parnassus are identified and described.

Forty genealogical tables (at the end of this index) explain the complex and often bizarre relationships between interlocking families of gods and men. An exhaustive section of reference lists every mention of each character in the classical literature. It's fascinating reading - enjoy.

A special thanks to the following for their motivation and editorial help: Apatrix, Pseudo_Intellectual, schist, whizkid.

{Table of Sources}


- A -

Abas              Aeetes            Agron             Amphion           Antiochus         Asopus
Aborigines        Aegaeon           Aius Locutius     Amphisthenes      Antiope           Aspalis
Acacallis         Aegestes          Ajax              Amphitrite        Aphrodite         Assaon
Acacos            Aegeus            Alalcomeneus      Amphitryon        Apis              Asteria
Academus          Aegiale           Alcathus          Amulius           Apollo            Asterion
Acalanthis        Aegimius          Alcestis          Amyce             Apriate           Astraea
Acamas            Aegina            Alcinoe           Amycus            Apsyrtos          Astyanax
Acanthis          Aegisthus         Alcinous          Amymone           Arachne           Astymedusa
Acarnan           Aegypius          Alcmaeon          Ananke            Arcas             Atalanta
Acastus           Aegyptus          Alcmene           Anaxagoras        Archelaus         Ate
Acca Larentia     Aeneas            Alcon             Anaxarete         Archemorus        Athamas
Acestes           Aeolia            Alcyone           Anchemolus        Areion            Athena
Achaemenides      Aeolus            Alcyoneus         Anchises          Ares              Atlantis
Achates           Aepytus           Alebion           Anchurus          Arethusa          Atlas
Achelous          Aerope            Alectryon         Androclus         Argennus          Atreus
Acheron           Aesacus           Aletes            Androgeos         Argonauts         Attis
Achilles          Aeson             Alexander         Andromache        Argos             Aucnus
Acis              Aethalides        Aloadae           Andromeda         Argynnus          Auge
Acontius          Aether            Alope             Anius             Argyra            Augias
Acrisius          Aethilla          Alphesiboea       Anna Perenna      Ariadne           Aura
Acron             Aethra            Alpheus           Antaeus           Arion             Aurora
Actaeon           Aetna             Alpos             Anteia            Aristaeus         Auson
Actor             Aetolus           Althaea           Antenor           Aristeas          Autoleon
Admete            Agamedes          Amalthea          Antheias          Aristodemus       Autolycus
Admetus           Agamemnon         Amata             Antheus           Artemis           Automedon
Adonis            Agapenor          Amazons           Anticleia         Ascalabus         Auxesia
Adrastus          Agave             Ampelus           Antigone          Ascalaphus        Avilius
Aeacus            Agdistis          Amphiaraus        Antilochus        Ascanius
Aechmagoras       Agenor            Amphictyon        Antinoe           Asclepius
Aedon             Aglaurus          Amphilochus       Antinous          Asia              Androktasia

- B -

Babys             Battus            Bia               Boreas            Bouphagus         Bryte
Bacchus           Baubo             Bianna            Bormos            Branchus          Busiris
Baios             Baucis            Bianor            Botres            Brangas           Butes
Balius            Bellerophon       Bias              Boucolos          Briseis           Buzyges
Basileia          Bellona           Bona Dea          Boulis            Brises            Byblis
Baton             Belus             Boreades          Bounos            Britomartis       Byzas

- C -

Caanthus          Caphene           Cephalus          Chrysaor          Cocytus           Crisamis
Cabarnus          Caphira           Cepheus           Chryseis          Codrus            Crisus
Cabiri            Capys             Cerambus          Chryses           Coeranus          Critheis
Cabiro            Carcabus          Ceramus           Chrysippus        Coeus             Crocon
Caca              Carcinus          Cerberus          Chrysopelia       Colaenus          Crocus
Cacus             Carmanor          Cercaphus         Chrysothemis      Comaetho          Cronus
Cadmus            Carme             Cercopes          Chthonia          Comatas           Croton
Caeculus          Carmenta          Cercyon           Cichyrus          Combe             Crotopus
Caeira            Carna             Cercyra           Cicones           Cometes           Crotus
Caelus            Carnabon          Cerebia           Cilix             Condyleatis       Cteatus
Caeneus           Carnus            Ceres             Cilla             Consentes         Ctimene
Caieta            Cassandra         Ceryx             Cillas            Consus            Curetes
Calamus           Cassiopia         Cetes             Cimmerians        Copreus           Curtius
Calchas           Cassiphone        Ceto              Cinyras           Cora              Cyane
Calchus           Castalia          Ceyx              Cipus             Corcyra           Cyanippus
Callidice         Castor            Chalciope         Circe             Corinnus          Cybele
Calliope          Cathetus          Chalcodon         Cithaeron         Corinthus         Cychreus
Callipolis        Catillus          Chalcon           Cleomedes         Coroebus          Cyclopes
Callirhoe         Catreus           Chaon             Cleopatra         Coronides         Cycnus
Callisto          Caucasus          Chaos             Cleostratus       Coronis           Cydnus
Calydnus          Caucon            Chariclo          Cleothera         Coronus           Cydon
Calydon           Caulon            Charila           Clesonymus        Corythus          Cylabras
Calypso           Caunus            Charites          Clete             Cragaleus         Cyllarus
Cambles           Cecrops           Charon            Clinis            Cranaus           Cyllene
Camenae           Cedalion          Charops           Clisithera        Cranon            Cynortas
Camers            Celaeno           Charybdis         Clite             Crantor           Cynosura
Camesus           Celbidas          Chelidon          Clitor            Creon             Cyparissa
Camilla           Celeus            Chelone           Clitus            Creontiades       Cyparissi
Campe             Celeutor          Chimaera          Clymene           Cres              Cyparissus
Canace            Celmis            Chimaereus        Clymenus          Cresphontes       Cypselus
Canens            Celtus            Chione            Clytemnestra      Cretheus          Cyrene
Canopus           Centaurs          Chiron            Clytia            Creusa            Cytissorus
Capaneus          Centimani         Choricus          Cnageus           Crimisus          Cyzicus
Caphaurus         Cephalion         Chrysanthis       Cocalus           Crinis

Calydonian boar hunt

- D -

Dactyls           Danae             Deioneus          Demophon          Dido              Dis Pater
Dada              Danaides          Deiphobus         Dendritis         Dimoetes          Dolius
Daedalion         Danaus            Deiphontes        Dercynus          Diomedes          Dolon
Daedalus          Daphne            Deipylus          Deucalion         Diomus            Doris
Daitas            Daphnis           Delphus           Dexamenus         Dion              Dorus
Damaethus         Dardanus          Delphyne          Dexicreon         Dione             Drimacus
Damascus          Dares             Demeter           Diana             Dionysus          Dryas
Damasen           Daunus            Demiphon          Dias              Diopatra          Dryope
Damastes          Decelus           Demodice          Dicte             Dioscuri          Dryops
Damysus           Deianeira         Demodocus         Dictys            Dirce

- E & F -

Echemus           Enipeus           Erichthonius      Eulimene          Eurymedon         Faustinus
Echetlus          Entoria           Eridanus          Eumaeus           Eurymus           Faustulus
Echetus           Enyo              Erigone           Eumelus           Eurynome          Febris
Echidna           Eos               Erinoma           Eumolpus          Eurynomus         Februus
Echion            Epaphus           Erinyes           Euneus            Eurypylus         Ferentina
Echo              Epeius            Eriphyle          Eunomus           Eurysaces         Feronia
Eetion            Ephialtes         Eris              Eunostus          Eurystheus        Fides
Egeria            Epidius           Eros              Euphemus          Eurytion          Flora
Elatus            Epigeus           Erylus            Euphorbus         Eurytus           Fons
Electra           Epigoni           Erymanthus        Euphorion         Euthymus          Fornax
Electryon         Epimelides        Erysichthon       Euphrates         Evadne            Fors
Elephenor         Epimetheus        Erytus            Europa            Evander           Fortuna
Eleusis           Epione            Eryx              Eurus             Evenus            Furies
Elis              Epirus            Eteocles          Euryalus          Evippe            Furrina
Elpenor           Epopeus           Ethemea           Eurycleia         Fama
Elymus            Erato             Etias             Eurydice          Fames             Epimenides
Empusa            Erebus            Eubouleus         Eurygania         Fatum
Enarophorus       Erechtheus        Euchenor          Eurylochus        Fauna
Endymion          Erginus           Eudorus           Eurymachus        Faunus

- G -

Gaia              Ganymede          Gerana            Golden Age        Gouneus           Gyges
Galaesus          Garanus           Geryon            Gordias           Graces            Gyrton
Galatea           Garmathone        Giants            Gorge             Graeae
Galates           Gavanes           Glauce            Gorgons           Granicus
Galeotes          Gelanor           Glaucia           Gorgophone        Griffins
Galinthias        Gelo              Glaucus           Gorgophonus       Grynus
Ganges            Genii             Glyphius          Gorgopis          Gyas

- H -

Hades             Harpyreia         Hemera            Hesperides        Hippothoe         Hylaeus
Haemon            Hebe              Hemicynes         Hesperus          Hirpi Sorani      Hylas
Haemus            Hecaergus         Hemithea          Hestia            Historis          Hyllus
Hagno             Hecale            Heosphorus        Hiera             Homoloeus         Hylonome
Halesus           Hecamede          Hephaestus        Hierax            Homonoia          Hymenaeus
Halia             Hecate            Hera              Hilaera           Honos             Hymnus
Haliacmon         Hecaterus         Heracles          Hilebie           Hopladamus        Hyperboreans
Haliae            Hecatoncheires    Heraclids         Himalia           Horae             Hyperion
Haliartus         Hector            Hercules          Himerus           Horatii           Hypermestra
Halirrhotius      Hecuba            Hercyna           Hippe             Hostius           Hyperochus
Halmus            Hegeleus          Hermaphroditus    Hippo             Hyacinthids       Hypnus
Hals              Heleius           Hermes            Hippocoon         Hyacinthus        Hypsicreon
Hamadryads        Helen             Hermione          Hippocrene        Hyades            Hypsipyle
Harmonia          Helenus           Hermochares       Hippodamia        Hyamus            Hyrieus
Harmonides        Heliades          Hermus            Hippolochus       Hyas              Hyrneho
Harpalion         Helicaon          Hero              Hippolyta         Hybris
Harpalyce         Helice            Herophile         Hippolytus        Hydne
Harpalycus        Helios            Herse             Hippomedon        Hydra of Lerna
Harpy             Helle             Hersilia          Hippomenes        Hyettus
Harpinna          Hellen            Hesione           Hippotes          Hygieia

- I & J -

Iacchus           Iasus             Ilia              Iodama            Iris              Itylus
Iaera             Icadius           Ilione            Iolaus            Irus              Itys
Ialemus           Icarius           Ilioneus          Iole              Ischenus          Iulus
Ialmenus          Icarus            Illyrius          Ion               Ischys            Iustitia
Ialysus           Ichthyocentaurs   Ilus              Ionius            Isis              Iuventus
Iambe             Ismalius          Imbrasus          Iope              Ismene            Ixion
Iamus             Ida               Inachus           Ioxus             Ismenus           Iynx
Ianiscus          Idaea             Incubi            Iphianassa        Isola Tiberina    Janus
Ianthe            Idaeus            Indigetes         Iphicles          Issa              Jason
Iapetus           Idas              Indus             Iphiclus          Isthmiades        Jocasta
Iapyx             Idmon             Ino               Iphidamas         Istrus            Julia Luperca
Iarbas            Idomeneus         Io                Iphigenia         Italus            Juno
Iardanus          Idothea           Iobates           Iphimedia         Ithacus           Jupiter
Iasion            Idyia             Iobes             Iphis             Ithome            Juturna
Iaso              Ieoud             Iocastus          Iphitus           Itonus

- K & L -

Keres             Lamus             Lavinia           Lethaea           Libya             Lycius
Labdacus          Laocoon           Leagrus           Lethe             Lichas            Lyco
Labrandus         Laodamas          Leander           Leto              Licymnius         Lycomedes
Lacedaemon        Laodamia          Learchus          Leucadius         Ligys             Lycopeus
Lacestades        Laodice           Lebeadus          Leucaria          Lilaeus           Lycophron
Lacinius          Laodocus          Leda              Leucaspis         Limos             Lycoreus
Lacius            Laomedon          Leimon            Leucatas          Lindos            Lycurgus
Lacon             Laonome           Leimone           Leuce             Linus             Lycus
Ladon             Laonytus          Leipephile        Leucippe          Liparus           Lydus
Laertes           Lapiths           Leitus            Leucippidea       Lityerses         Lymphae
Laestrygonians    Lara              Lelex             Leucippus         Locrus            Lynceus
Laethusa          Larentia          Lemures           Leucon            Lotis             Lyncus
Laius             Lares             Leonassa          Leucophanes       Lotophagi         Lyrcus
Lamedon           Larinus           Leonteus          Leucosia          Lua               Lysidice
Lamia             Larissa           Leontichus        Leucothea         Lucifer           Lysippe
Lampetia          Las               Leontophonus      Leucothoe         Luna
Lampetus          Latinus           Leos              Leucus            Luperci
Lampsace          Latinus Silvius   Lepreus           Liber             Lycaon
Lampus            Lausus            Lesbos            Libitina          Lycastus

- M -

Macar             Marica            Melantho          Menoetes          Minerva           Morpheus
Macareus          Marmax            Melanthus         Menoetius         Minos             Mors
Macaria           Maron             Melas             Menthe            Minotaur          Mothone
Macedon           Marpessa          Meleager          Mentor            Minyads           Mucius Scaevola
Macello           Mars              Meleagrids        Mercury           Minyas            Munichus
Machaereus        Marsyas           Meles             Meriones          Misenus           Munitus
Machaon           Mecisteus         Melia             Mermerus          Mnemon            Musaeus
Macistus          Mecon             Meliads           Merope            Mnemosyne         Muses
Macris            Medea             Meliboea          Mesopotamia       Mnestheus         Myceneus
Maenads           Medeus            Meliboeus         Messapus          Modius Fabidius   Myenus
Maenalus          Medon             Melicertes        Messene           Moirae            Mygdon
Maeon             Medus             Melissa           Mestra            Molionidae        Mylas
Maera             Mefitis           Melisseus         Meta              Molorchus         Myles
Magnes            Megaclo           Melissus          Metabus           Molossus          Myrice
Maia              Magepenthes       Melite            Metanira          Molpadia          Myrina
Malcandrus        Megara            Meliteus          Metapontus        Molpis            Myrmex
Mamercus          Megareus          Melus             Methymna          Molpos            Myrmidon
Mamurius          Meges             Melpomene         Metiochus         Molus             Myrrha
Mandylas          Melampus          Membliarus        Metion            Momus             Myyrsus
Manes             Melampygus        Memnon            Metis             Moneta            Myrtilus
Mania             Melancraera       Memphis           Mezentius         Mopsus            Myrto
Manto             Melaneus          Menelaus          Midas             Morges            Myscelus
Marathon          Melanippe         Menestheus        Midias            Moria
Marathus          Melanippus        Menesthius        Miletus           Mormo
Mariandynus       Melanthius        Menoeceus         Mimas             Mormolyke

- N -

Naiads            Nausicaa          Neoptolemus       Nessus            Nilus             Numitor
Nana              Nausithous        Nephalion         Nestor            Ninus             Nycteus
Nanas             Nautes            Nephele           Nicaea            Niobe             Nyctimene
Nannacus          Naxos             Neptune           Nicomachus        Nireus            Nyctimus
Nanus             Neda              Nereus            Nicostrate        Nisus             Nymphs
Narcissus         Neleus            Nereids           Nicostratus       Nixi              Nysa
Nauplius          Nemanus           Nerio             Nike              Notus             Nysus
Naus              Nemesis           Nerites           Nileus            Numa Pompilius    Nyx

- O -

Oaxes             Oeager            Oenone            Olympus           Orcus             Orthopolis
Oaxus             Oeax              Oenopion          Olynthus          Orestes           Orthros
Oceanus           Oebalus           Oenotrus          Omphale           Orestheus         Osinius
Ochimus           Oecles            Oeonus            Oneiros           Orion             Otos
Ocnus             Oedipus           Ogygus            Opheltes          Orithyia          Otreus
Ocrisia           Oeneus            Oileus            Ophion            Ornythus          Oxylus
Ocyrrhoe          Oenoclus          Olus              Opus              Orontes           Oxynius
Odysseus          Oenomaus          Olymbrus          Ops               Orpheus           Oxynthes

- P -

Pactolus          Peitho            Phaon             Phylius           Polycaste         Proetides
Paean             Pelasgus          Pharos            Phyllis           Polycrite         Proetus
Paeon             Peleus            Phasis            Phytalus          Polycritus        Promachus
Palaemon          Pelias            Phegeus           Piasus            Polyctor          Prometheus
Palaestra         Pelopia           Pheidippus        Picolous          Polydamas         Promethus
Palamedes         Pelops            Phemonoe          Picus             Polydamna         Promne
Palans            Penates           Pheraea           Pierides          Polydectes        Pronax
Palanto           Peneius           Phereboea         Pierus            Polydora          Pronus
Pales             Peneleus          Phereclus         Pietas            Polydorus         Propodas
Palici            Penelope          Pheres            Pilumnus          Polygonus         Propoetides
Palinurus         Penis             Philammon         Pindus            Polyidus          Proserpina
Palladium         Pentheus          Philandrus        Piren             Polymede          Prostmna
Pallantidae       Penthesilea       Philoctetes       Pirene            Polymela          Protesilaus
Pallas            Penthilus         Philoetius        Pirithous         Polymestor        Proteus
Pallene           Penthus           Philolaus         Pisaeus           Polymnus          Prothous
Pamphos           Peparethus        Philomela         Pisidice          Polynices         Protogenia
Pamphylus         Peratus           Philomelides      Pisistratus       Polyphates        Prylis
Pan               Perdix            Philomelus        Pistor            Polyphemus        Psamathe
Panacea           Pergamus          Philotes          Pisus             Polyphides        Psophis
Pancratis         Periboea          Philotis          Pitane            Polyphonte        Psyche
Pandareus         Periclymenus      Philyrs           Pittheus          Polyphontes       Psyllus
Pandarus          Perieres          Phineus           Pityreus          Polypoetes        Pterelas
Pandion           Periergos         Phix              Pitys             Polyxena          Ptoliporthos
Pandocus          Perigoune         Phlegethon        Platanus          Polyxenus         Pygmalion
Pandora           Perimele          Phlegyas          Pleiades          Polyxo            Pygmies
Pandorus          Periphas          Phlias            Pleione           Pomona            Pylades
Pandrosus         Periphetes        Phlogius          Pleisthenes       Pompo             Pylaemenes
Pangaeus          Peristera         Phobos            Plemnaeus         Pontus            Pylaeus
Panides           Pero              Phocus            Pleuron           Porphyrion        Pylas
Panopeus          Perse             Phoebe            Plexippus         Porthaon          Pylenor
Panthous          Perseis           Phoebus           Pluton            Portheus          Pylia
Paphos            Persephone        Phoenix           Plutus            Portunus          Ptlius
Paraebius         Persepolis        Pholus            Podalirius        Porus             Pyraechmes
Paralus           Perses            Phorbas           Podarces          Poseidon          Pyramus
Parcae            Perseus           Phorcys           Podarge           Pothos            Pyrene
Paris             Peucetius         Phormion          Podes             Prax              Pyreneus
Parnassus         Phaea             Phoroneus         Poeas             Praxithea         Pyrgo
Parrhasius        Phaeacians        Phosphorus        Poemandrus        Presbon           Pyrias
Parsondes         Phaeax            Phrasius          Poine             Preugenes         Pyrrha
Parthenopaeus     Phaedra           Phrixus           Polhymnia         Priam             Pyrrhicus
Parthenope        Phaestus          Phronime          Poliporthes       Priapus           Pyrrhus
Parthenos         Phaethon          Phrygius          Polites           Prochyte          Pythaeus
Pasiphae          Phalaecus         Phthius           Pollux            Procles           Python
Patroclus         Phalanthus        Phthonus          Poltys            Procne
Patron            Phalanx           Phylacus          Polybus           Procris
Pax               Phalces           Phylas            Polybotes         Procrustes
Pegasus           Phalerus          Phyleus           Polycaon          Proculus

- Q - R -

Quirinus          Remus             Rhesus            Rhoecus           Rhytia            Romus
Ramnes            Thacius           Rhode             Rhoeo             Robigo            Rutuli
Rarus             Rhadamanthys      Rhodope           Rhoetus           Roma
Ratumena          Rhea              Rhodopis          Rhopalus          Romis
Recaranus         Rhea Silvia       Rhodus            Rhoxane           Romulus

- S -

Sabazius          Saron             Selinus           Silvanus          Sopatrus          Striges
Sabbe             Sarpedon          Semachus          Silvius           Sophax            Strophius
Sabus             Saturn            Semele            Simois            Soranus           Strymo
Sagaris           Saryria           Semiramis         Sinis             Sosthenes         Strymon
Sagaritis         Satyrs            Serestus          Sinon             Sparta            Stymphalus
Salacia           Saurus            Sergestus         Sinope            Spartoi           Styx
Salambo           Scamander         Servius Tullius   Siproetes         Spercheius        Summanus
Salamis           Scamandrius       Setaea            Sirens            Sphaerus          Sybaris
Salius            Schedius          Sevechorus        Siris             Sphinx            Syceus
Salmoneus         Schoeneus         Sibyl             Sisyphus          Staphylus         Sychaeus
Salus             Sciapodes         Sicanus           Sithon            Stentor           Syleus
Samon             Sciron            Sicelus           Smaragus          Sterope           Syme
Sanape            Scirus            Sicinnus          Smerdius          Steropes          Syrinx
Sancus            Scylaceus         Sicyon            Smicrus           Stheneboea        Syrna
Sangarius         Scylla            Side              Smintheus         Sthenelas         Syrus
Saon              Scyphius          Sidero            Smyrna            Sthenelaus
Sardo             Scythes           Silenus           Solois            Stilbe
Sardus            Selene            Sillus            Solymus           Stirus

- T -

Tages             Tegyrius          Terminus          Themistro         Thyestes          Tricca
Talassio          Telamon           Terpsichore       Theoclymenus      Thyia             Triopas
Talaus            Telchines         Tethys            Theonoe           Thymoetes         Triptolemus
Talos             Telchis           Teucer            Theophane         Thyone            Triton
Talthybius        Teleboas          Teutamus          Theras            Tiberinus         Trochilus
Tanais            Telecleia         Teutarus          Thero             Tiburnus          Troezen
Tantalus          Teledamus         Teuthras          Thersandrus       Timalcus          Troilus
Taphius           Telegonus         Thalia            Thersites         Timandra          Trophonius
Taras             Telemachus        Thalpius          Theseus           Tinge             Tros
Taraxippus        Telemus           Thamyris          Thespius          Tiphys            Turnus
Tarchetius        Telephassa        Thanatos          Thesprotus        Tiresias          Tyche
Tarchon           Telephus          Thasus            Thessalus         Tisamenus         Tychius
Tarpeia           Tellus            Thaumas           Thestius          Tisiphone         Tydeus
Tartarus          Telphouse         Theanira          Thestor           Titans            Tyndareus
Tatius            Temenus           Theano            Thetis            Titanides         Typhon
Taurus            Temon             Thebe             Thoas             Tithonus          Tyro
Taygete           Tenerus           Theia             Thon              Tityus            Tyrrhenus
Tecmessa          Tenes             Theias            Thoosa            Tlepolemus        Tyrrhus
Tectamus          Terambus          Theiodamas        Thrace            Tmolus            Tyrus
Tectaphus         Tereus            Thelxion          Thrasymedes       Toxeus
Tegeates          Termerus          Themis            Thriai            Trambelus

- U & V -

Ucalegon          Vacuna            Veiovis           Vertumnus         Virbius           Vulcan
Uranus            Valeria           Venus             Vesta             Volturnus

- W - Z -

Xanthus           Zagreus           Zelus             Zethus            Zeus              Zeuxippe
Zacynthus

- GENEALOGICAL TABLES -

Table  1          Table  9          Table 17          Table 25          Table 33
Table  2          Table 10          Table 18          Table 26          Table 34
Table  3          Table 11          Table 19          Table 27          Table 35
Table  4          Table 12          Table 20          Table 28          Table 36
Table  5          Table 13          Table 21          Table 29          Table 37
Table  6          Table 14          Table 22          Table 30          Table 38
Table  7          Table 15          Table 23          Table 31          Table 39
Table  8          Table 16          Table 24          Table 32          Table 40

It has been reported to e2 that this is a translation of Pierre Grimal's 1951 Dictionaire de la mythologie grecque et romaine.

According to Ammianus Marcellinus, a Roman soldier and historian who served at the scene under emperor Valens, the mid-fourth century AD had been pretty lousy for the roughly 60,000 Visigoth and Ostrogoth tribal folk living in the region just north of the Black Sea, around the fertile lands surrounding the Sea of Azov. By this point the Gothic tribes had settled into a fairly stable form of agricultural and craft society. They were particularly renowned for their metalwork and steel, which surpassed the skill of the Roman smiths in the south. By roughly 340-360, the Goths were on good relations with their neighbors to the West, the Alans (or Allemani, ’all- men’), and to the East, the Avars and Getans. In fact, it seems the Goths in the region up to this point actually acted as a buffer between the Romans along the Southern portion of the Black Sea and the nomadic tribes which circulated in the Caspian and Urals regions.

That societal stability and military equilibrium shifted radically around 376 AD. Things had been all quiet on the Western Front so-to-speak since the reign of Diocletian (285-305). Rome’s imperial talons had been specifically retracted in many regions, particularly the volatile regions of northern Gaul and Eastern Germania, so that her borders were not so hopelessly far-flung. Italy, after all, by the early 4th c. was having difficulty feeding herself while paying for ever-extending fortifications, patrols, legions, logistics and recruits. However, from 305 – 375, Rome’s far more pressing problem had been the Persian encroachment on the newly established Constantinople (324-360). Conditions for Ostrogothic refugees, then, must have been the last thing Emperor Valens would have been concerned with as dispatches began to trickle in from the north, informing him thousands of refugees were crossing through Odessa en route to the Danube River.

Why precisely the Visigoths undertook this sudden migration is unclear: no written record of their movements were kept until they settled into Northern Spain more than a century later, and even then the histories were written by others (Saint Isidore of Seville wrote one such treatise). At the time, the generals were convinced a new threat had swept down on the Goths from the Kazakh region, forcing them into flight – the Scythians (the Roman name for the Huns) were a popular scapegoat at the time. However, archaeological research in the region is ongoing, and others have rejected the Huns as a Prime Mover during the period, suggesting instead the Goths might have simply been looking for better soil, access to other trade goods or more forgiving climates. Whatever the reasons, Valens was uninterested in trouble, occupied as he was the Persian menace. He ordered his administrators at the emplacement on the Danube Delta (now Tulcea, Romania) to provide what material relief they could and to allow the Goths full asylum, provided their men agree to help fight the Persians.*
(…see I always had this image in my head of Rome’s destruction. The screaming frenzy of the barbarian hordes hurtling out of the dark misty forests of the north while the chargers of the nomads galloped in from the east, both finally casting long shadows against the white marble of Rome with their torches…turns out no serious historian has believed that for a century…)
Anyway, the Visigoth migration might have gone swimmingly but for a few corrupt Roman border clerks who began demanding payment (in metals or even slave-children) before any food or asylum was dispensed. There are even indications they sold the starving refugees massing on the northern shore of the Danube dog meat and pig feed as food. Valens had ordered food and blankets be dispensed as gesture of goodwill and to ensure loyalty from the Gothic leaders if push came to shove with the Persians. Instead, thanks to timeless old fashioned small-town corruption, he soon had thousands of very pissed off Goths on his hands – men, women and children – all led by two warrior-kings, Fritigern and Alavivus. The Goths were escorted south to Marcianople, the regional military headquarters in Thrace, in preparation for their permanent re-settlement by Valens. However by now the Goth men were furious, as food for their starving and tired families had still not been delivered as promised. A Roman general, Lupicinus, tried to placate the leaders of the tribe by throwing a feast, but the families were left outside the city gates and went still unfed. The Gothic leaders were only further enraged; fighting broke out on both sides of Marcianople’s walls and the Romans barely managed to eject the Gothic leaders from the city now surrounded by thousands of starving, betrayed Goths, who soon fled into the hills around the Dobrudja region.

For two years they held up, hunting and fishing, rejecting Roman decrees that they leave the area and relocate to Asia Minor. The Goths realized emperor Valens wanted to use them as a buffer between Constantinople and Persia, and most likely came to the conclusion they’d rather chew glass, i.e. take their chances as ‘rebels’. This was all well and good until Valens himself, with 40,000 elite legion shock-troops, showed up to read the Goths an ultimatum at Adrianople. In the late summer of 378, on the dusty wind-swept plain north of the fortress-town, Valens read his terms to the Visigoth chieftain, Alavivus. Negotiations went badly as the Goths no longer trusted any of the Roman proposals, and talks broke off. The next day, the Roman phalanxes began to move across the plain toward the Visigoth encampment. Thick plumes of dust spiraled around the formations as they began to move forward, emperor Valens on horseback at their center. Skirmishes began along the front line; the Roman infantry closed ranks and pressed forward, not mindful they’d shifted all their strength for a full frontal assault on the Gothic rebel camp.

Only when the first Romans forded the river at the plains’ edge and were at the camp walls did they realize there was no one there; the campfires burning untended. The dust clouds kicked up by 40,000 soldiers crossing sparse, dry ground made it difficult to see back far enough in the lines to see what was happening as each new line of troops pressed onward like lemmings. By then it was too late; Visigoth cavalry charged out of the tree line to the east and west, and in pincer fashion tore into the weakened, unprepared Roman flanks. Spearmen and swordsman soon followed, wielding iron blades far stronger than the common Roman bronze armor. The most elite force of the Eastern Empire was decimated, two-thirds slain outright, and Emperor Valens himself was slain. However, the Visigoths never moved against Adrianople itself. Alavivus, despite his disgust with the Roman treachery, is said to have told his troops, “Our people attack armies, not cities. We have no quarrel with walls.”
* That exchange of military service for land had been used by Romans to conscript for their border armies since Marcus Aurelius settled with the Quadians almost two centuries earlier.

Sources: Ammianus Marcellinus, XXXI, 1-19; A. A. Vasiliev, The Goths in the Crimea (Cambridge, 1936); H. Wolfram, History of the Goths (Berkeley, 1988); Roger Collins, Early Medieval Europe, 300-1000 (McMillan, 1991); Ancient History Sourcebook: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/378adrianople.html
Sometimes referred to as The Game of Twenty Squares, The Royal Game of Ur was originally a race game played by both the Egyptian rulers and the common gamblers. The game was played all over the Eastern World, and is thought to date from around 3000BC. The board (see bellow), has been excavated in Iraq, Iran, Syria, Jordan, Turkey, Crete, Palastine and Israel, and a descendant of the game is still played in India today. The example of the board bellow is based on the one discovered in a royal grave in the Sumerian city of Ur by Sir Leonard Woolley. Thought to date from 2600BC, it is now on display in the British Museum in London.

 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _         _ _ _ _
| # |<--|<--| 1 |       | # |<--|
|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _ _ _|_ _|_ _|
|   |-->|-->| # |-->|-->|-->|-->|
|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|
| # |<--|<--| 2 |       | # |<--|
|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|       |_ _|_ _|

The rules listed here are based on a cuneiform tablet from Babylon shortly after 200 BC, the oldest set of gaming rules ever discovered. Player 1 starts on the square marked 1, and player 2 starts on the square marked 2. Each player has seven throwing pieces, and share four throwsticks, which are thrown against the table. The first player to move all his pieces to the end of the board is the winner. Players pieces are entered from opposite sides of the board. As with many ancient eastern games, throwing sticks are used. These are sticks with one side flat and the other rounded. If a stick lands with the flat side down, the stick is said to be 'rounded', vice versa. The player with the highest score on the throwing stick starts. The throwstick scores are as follows:

1 flat, 3 rounded = 1
2 flat, 2 rounded = 2
3 flat, 1 rounded = 3
4 flat            = 4
4 rounded         = 0

The first square counts as 1. Only one piece can be moved each go, and can only be moved forward. If you land on a rosette (#), take another turn (you do not have to move the same piece the second time). Only one piece is permitted in a square at any one time. The first two squares and the last four squares are safe territory for each player. If your opponent lands on a piece occupied by you in the middle section of the board, your piece is knocked off the board and you must start again. You must make a move if at all possible, and an exact throw is needed to move a piece off the board to the finish.

Rules for Alternate Gambling Version

Each player has 5 "bird" playing pieces.

Storm bird   1 point
Raven        2 points
Cockerel     3 points
Eagle        4 points
Swallow      5 points
Throwing sticks:
Thirty white counters, 1 point each
Ten red counters, 2 points each
Ten blue counters, 3 points each

To begin with, each player takes 5 points of counters from the pool. The player with the highest throw-score begins first. Taking alternate turns, try to align your pieces in numerable order on the board. You must throw 1, 2, 3 and 4 to start the Storm Bird, Raven, Cockerel and Eagle respectively. If you throw 5, you may launch the Swallow, which, being "wild", may be placed on any square immediately before a rosette square. Pieces cannot move until all are entered into formation. If you land on a square occupied by an opponent, his piece is removed, and he must start again by throwing the appropriate score. If a piece in on a rosette square, it is immune to being knocked off, and you may gain another go. As with the original version of the game, if possible you must always make your move or else substitute your go.

When a piece lands on a rosette, take counters from the pool, for example, five for a swallow. If you pass over a rosette, you must pay the corresponding ammount into the pool, unless the square is occupied by your opponent, in which case the counters go to him. If you cannot pay, the piece must be removed from the board and the necessary throw must be made to start. The winner of the round is awarded 5 points from the pool, and the loser pays the value of all the pieces still in play or still waiting to re-start to the winner. If he has insufficient points to do so, the winner takes instead from the pool. The final winner is the one with the most points after three rounds.


Source: Ancient Board Games, by Irving Finkel