Scottish football team who are based in Glasgow.
Shirt colours are green and white hoops.
Biggest rivals are the other Old Firm team, Glasgow Rangers
A term used to describe the Celts, a group of related ethnic groups who migrated into Europe around 1000 BC, and the languages and cultures which have their origin in these people.

The Celts or Gauls slowly migrated across Eastern and Western Europe, and descendants of the Celts were either eliminated or assimilated by the Romans. Today, all the surviving cultures and languages that can trace their roots to the Celts are found in extreme northwest Europe, where they generally exist as minorities in larger nations.

During the 19th century, nationalist groups in Great Britain and France took on the mantle of "Celtic" culture as a way to unify their various movements and to indentify themselves with a unique and proud history. A mythology of "Celtic" tradition was particularly popular in Victorian England.

Much of what we now think of as "Celtic" is a creation of 19th-century romanticism--and almost nothing in our popular image of Welsh and Irish culture can be directly traced back to the culture of the Celts who founght Julius Caesar back in the 1st century BC.

A branch of the Indo-European family of languages, which can be divided geographically and chronologically into the Continental Celtic languages and Insular Celtic. The former are generally divided into the old languages of Lepontic, Celto-Iberian, and Gaulish, which were spoken throughout much of western Europe from around 500 BC to 500 AD. The Insular Celtic group consists of the more modern Goidelic (Irish, Scottish, Gaelic, and Manx) and Brythonic (Welsh, Breton, and Cornish) branches. Celtic is currently known chiefly in the British Isles and in Brittany.

Celt"ic (?), a. [L. Celticus, Gr. . See Celt.]

Of or pertaining to the Celts; as, Celtic people, tribes, literature, tongue.

[Written also Keltic.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Celt"ic, n.

The language of the Celts.

The remains of the old Celtic language are found in the Gaelic, the Erse or Irish the Manx, and the Welsh and its cognate dialects Cornish and Bas Breton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.