Cor*rupt` (k?r-r?pt"), a. [L. corruptus, p. p. of corrumpere to corrupt; cor- + rumpere to break. See Rupture.]

1.

Changed from a sound to a putrid state; spoiled; tainted; vitiated; unsound.

Who with such corrupt and pestilent bread would feed them. Knolles.

2.

Changed from a state of uprightness, correctness, truth, etc., to a worse state; vitiated; depraved; debased; perverted; as, corrupt language; corrupt judges.

At what ease Might corrupt minds procure knaves as corrupt To swear against you. Shak.

3.

Abounding in errors; not genuine or correct; as, the text of the manuscript is corrupt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cor*rupt", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Corrupted; p. pr. & vb. n. Corrupting.]

1.

To change from a sound to a putrid or putrescent state; to make putrid; to putrefy.

2.

To change from good to bad; to vitiate; to deprave; to pervert; to debase; to defile.

Evil communications corrupt good manners. 1. Cor. xv. 33.

3.

To draw aside from the path of rectitude and duty; as, to corrupt a judge by a bribe.

Heaven is above all yet; there sits a Judge That no king can corrupt. Shak.

4.

To debase or render impure by alterations or innovations; to falsify; as, to corrupt language; to corrupt the sacred text.

He that makes an ill use of it [language], though he does not corrupt the fountains of knowledge, . . . yet he stops the pines. Locke.

5.

To waste, spoil, or consume; to make worthless.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt. Matt. vi. 19.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cor*rupt" (k?r-r?pt"), v. i.

1.

To become putrid or tainted; to putrefy; to rot.

Bacon.

2.

To become vitiated; to lose putity or goodness.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.