jupiter, and it's position in the sky at birth is used in astrology to describe the areas in which a person can expand within their life. jupiter symbolizes:

in astrological charts, jupiter is symbolized as:

     ,-.
    (   |
       /   |
      /    |
     {_____|__
           |
           |
Roninspoon forwarded this url to me: http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/7390/eso_ast.html

"The glyph of the planet Jupiter combines the cross and the crescent, with the circle conspicuously missing. The crescent stands upon the left arm of the cross..."

"...the circle refers to the ring of the Sun, which is the experience level of consciousness, and the cross refers to the Earth, which is the substance of the experience. That the circle is missing in the glyph of Jupiter indicates that the issues of Jupiter are beyond the experience level of consciousness, beyond the conscious mind, yet still affecting the substance of experience..."
Jupiter:

Mass..........................4.186 x 1027 lbm, 1.8988 x 1027 kg
Density.......................83.0lb/cubic foot
Mean Radius...................44,423 miles
Max Distance from Sun.........507,000,000 miles
Min Distance from Sun...........459,800,000 miles
Gravity relative to Earth ....2.364
Rotation Period.................9 h, 55 min, 30 s
Revolution time around Sun....12 years (4,332 d, 14 h, 8 min, 9 s)
Orbital Velocity..............8.12 miles/second
Number of Moons.................16 - Adrastea,Metis, Amalthea, Thebe, lo, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Leda, Himalia, Lysithea, Elara, Ananke, Carme, Pasiphae, Sinope.

jump off into never-never land = J = K

jupiter vt.

[IRC] To kill an IRC bot or user and then take its place by adopting its nick so that it cannot reconnect. Named after a particular IRC user who did this to NickServ, the robot in charge of preventing people from inadvertently using a nick claimed by another user. Now commonly shortened to `jupe'.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Also a class of US intermediate-range ballistic missiles (IRBMs) developed in the 1950s by a team led by Wernher Von Braun, who helped develop the V-1 and V-2 rockets for Nazi Germany.

There are no true "seasons" on Jupiter. The lack of seasons is a result of Jupiter's axis of rotation being almost perpendicular to its orbital plane. The tilt is only 3 degrees which is less than the tilt of any other planet in our Solar System. What that means is that Jupiter rotates around an axis that is practically perfectly vertical relative to its orbit, consequently no part of Jupiter gets more direct sunlight at some time of the year than at any other time of the year. If no part is closer to the sun at any one time of year than another time of year then the climate doesn't vary according to the time of year and thus you don't get seasons.

Thanks to hobyrne for a minor correction.

Jupiter is the common name for the MIT Lab for Computer Science Weather Information System. It is an automated interface which utilizes voice recognition and text-to-speech technology in providing an interactive method of getting weather forecasts. You can ask Jupiter about temperature, wind speed, humidity, sunrise/sunset times, and advisories, and it will respond with the relevant data. It knows about 500+ cities worldwide, most of those being in the United States. Jupiter remembers queries, so you can say something like "Will it rain tomorrow in Boston?" and subsequently ask, "What about Paris?" The system reportedly has 89% word recognition for new users, and 98% for experienced ones, which is an excellent success rate - especially considering the amount of sound quality lost over the phone line.

The toll-free number for calling Jupiter is 1-888-573-TALK (1-888-573-8255). If you wish to call Jupiter from outside North America, the number is 617-258-0300. This is not a toll free number, and you will be responsible for the (international) long-distance charges.

For more information about Jupiter, visit http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/sls/whatwedo/applications/jupiter.html.

An Overview

Jupiter is the fifth planet from our Sun and the largest. It is associated in most people's minds primarily with its Giant Red Spot, a large hurricane.


Interior of Jupiter

Most of the interior of Jupiter is liquid, primarily hydrogen with about 10% helium. The central temperatures are thought to lie in the range of 13,000-35,000 degrees Celsius, and the central pressure is about 100 million Earth atmospheres.The inner layers of highly compressed hydrogen are in a state that has never been produced on the Earth. Under the extreme pressure found deep inside Jupiter, the prevailing scientific theory suggests that the electron is released from each hydrogen atom and is free to move about the interior, allowing hydrogen to conduct heat and electricity in the manner of a metal. Electrical currents in this region of metallic hydrogen give rise to Jupiter's intense magnetic field due to their rapid rate of spin. An environment as alien to us as Jupiter provides an opportunity for us to test our understanding of the properties of matter under extreme conditions


The Internal Source of Energy

Jupiter radiates 1.6 times as much energy as falls on it from the Sun and therefore it can be concluded that Jupiter must have an internal heat source. It is thought that much of this heat is residual thermal energy from the original collapse of the primordial nebula which formed our Solar System, although some of it may derive from slow planetary contraction. This internal heat source is presumably responsible for driving the complex weather patterns in its atmosphere, unlike the Earth on which the primary energy source for the weather is the Sun.


Features of the Magnetic Field

Jupiter's magnetic field is large, complex, and intense. It is thought to arise from electrical currents in the rapidly spinning metallic hydrogen interior. The Earth has a strong magnetic field, but even at the top of the cloud layer, Jupiter's magnetic field is 10 times stronger than that of the Earth. Furthermore, the Jovian magnetic field has much higher complexity than that of the Earth, with some aspects of Jupiter's fields having no equivalent on Earth. These differences from our own magnetic field are probably related to the greater speed of rotation and larger metallic interior of Jupiter.

The field is toroidal (doughnut shaped) and contains much larger versions of the Earth's Van Allen Belts which trap high-energy charged particles (mostly electrons and protons). Because of the forces associated with the rapid rotation of Jupiter and its magnetic field, these belts are flattened into plasma sheets. The field rotates in synchrony with the approximately nine hour rotational period of the planet. The satellites Amalthea, Io, Europa, and Ganymede all orbit through this region; they are affected by it and in turn affect the magnetic field and charged-particle belts. Io, for instance, has many active volcanoes on its surface which throw up particles which become ionized as Io moves about its orbit and which eventually diffuse into Jupiter's upper atmosphere. This effect is one of the primary sources of the charged particles which are trapped in the Jovian magnetic field.

Ju"pi*ter (?), n. [L., fr. Jovis pater. See Jove.]

1. Rom. Myth.

The supreme deity, king of gods and men, and reputed to be the son of Saturn and Rhea; Jove. He corresponds to the Greek Zeus.

2. Astron.

One of the planets, being the brightest except Venus, and the largest of them all, its mean diameter being about 85,000 miles. It revolves about the sun in 4,332.6 days, at a mean distance of 5.2028 from the sun, the earth's mean distance being taken as unity.

Jupiter's beard. Bot. (a) A South European herb, with cymes of small red blossoms (Centranthus ruber). (b) The houseleek (Sempervivum tectorum); -- so called from its massive inflorescence, like the sculptured beard of Jove. Prior. (c) the cloverlike Anthyllis Barba-Jovis. -- Jupiter's staff Bot., the common mullein; -- so called from its long, rigid spike of yellow blossoms.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.