Κυχρευς

The son of Poseidon and Salamis, the daughter of Asopus. Cychereus killed a serpent that was ravaging the island of Salamis, and the islanders made him their king in gratitude. It was also said (and this was the version followed by Hesiod, in a fragment which has come down to us through Strabo) that this monstrous serpent had been raised by Cychreus himself, until it was expelled by Eurylochus: the creature then fled to Eleusis, where Demeter welcomed it as one of her attendants. On the island of Salamis, a cult grew up around Cychreus, as one of its guardian heroes. During the naval battle of Salamis, a serpent appeared among the ships: the oracle of Delphi revealed that this was the incarnation of Cychreus, who had come to aid the Greeks and fortell their victory.

Cychreus had a daughter, Chariclo, who was the mother of Endeis and the mother-in-law of Aecus. Cychreus died without male issue, and left his kingdom to his great-grandson Telamon, Aecus's son (Table 30). According to another tradition, Cychreus's daughter was called Glauce; she married Actaeus, and bore his son Telamon - who was thus not only Cychreus's great-grandson in one account, but also his grandson in another.

{E2 DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY}

Table of Sources:
- Appolod. Bibl. 3, 12, 7
- Tzetzes on Lyc. Alex. 110; 175; 451
- Diod. Sic. 4, 72, 4
- Strabo 9, 1, 9, p. 394
- Plutarch, Solon 9; Thes. 10
- Paus. 1, 36, 1

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.