Venerable members of this group:

Noung$, mauler@+, legbagede, The Debutante@, aneurin, Voodoo Chile, tinymurmur, CloudStrife, Tlachtga, Kalkin, bishopred1, bookw56, Velox, Haschel47, McCart42, QuietLight, Tiefling, KGBNick, Domin, Zibblsnrt, pylon, Diabolic, Halcyonide, Two Sheds, gitm, LeoDV, Asphodel, Palpz, phiz, tokki, The Lush, Aerobe, MCX, Bakeroo, Mercuryblues, Nadine_2, Gorgonzola, Lila, futilelord, Auduster, per ou, dragon rage, yudabioye, TerribleAspect, corvus, Nzen, mcd
This group of 47 members is led by Noung$

Why then do the European states claim the right to spread Civilization and manners to other Continents? Why not to Europe itself?
~ Joseph Roth, 1937

Roth's sentiment was not uncommon among people of his day, and had he known what was coming he would justifiably have viewed things even more darkly. The logic of Hitler's war showed itself nowhere more clearly than his establishment of a Greater Germany and his racial policy within in. Hitler and the entire Nazi movement was greatly under the influence of German geographer Karl Haushofer1, who asserted that Germany had the right to impose its will on nations in the Pacific, Asia and Europe. They wished to do so so that they could obtain Lebensraum, or "living space". Hitler had written in Mein Kampf that -

The soil in which some day German generations of peasants can beget powerful sons will sanction the investment of the sons of today, and will some day acquit the responsible statesmen of blood guilt and sacrifice of the people.

Most of this living space was to be sought at the expense of the Slavic regions, particularly the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. The Soviet Union had a good sense of this and vainly sought alliance with the West against Hitler before eventually trying to buy as much time as possible with the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, which betrayed and partitioned Poland for yet another time in its history. But by the time the war began with the joint invasion of Poland, some of Greater Germany had already taken shape.

Greater Germany (Großdeutsches Reich) was to be the political unit that contained all the German people, in accordance with the German Volk ideology. Austria was the first target. Many Austrian Germans considered it a wrong that when Otto von Bismarck created the North German Confederation in 1866, he had not included Austria in it. Furthermore, they saw the Treaty of Versailles as been yet another point when the problem could have been solved, but wasn't.2 The Austrian Nazis committed many acts of terrorism, including the assassination of Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss, and came to wield large influence over Austrian politics and culture. Hitler was eventually forced to occupy the country when it became clear that Kurt von Schuschnigg would not not allow the policy to be forced on him by threats.3

But it was clear who was the boss in all this - and what happened to Austria was more like straight annexation. Gleichschaltung, the "realignment" (i.e. Nazification) of Austrian society began immediately and Vienna, the proud capital of the Habsburgs for centuries, was transformed into a provincial capital. Austria had been subsumed into Greater Germany. Czechoslovakia, surrounded on three sides by German territory, could not survive much longer. The Munich Pact on September 30, 1938, secured its fate. Moravia and Bohemia became "the Protectorate of Moravia and Bohemia", then were referenced just as "the Protectorate". Their national identify was been destroyed and they were becoming just a part of Greater Germany. Chunks of Poland were annexed when the war began, and similarly their status declined from "the Government-General of the Occupied Polish Territories" merely to "the Government-General".

Hitler could be forgiven for being rather confident at this point. This is when his rhetoric about the thousand year Reich reached its zenith, with his predictions that German dominance in Europe would usher in a new period of peace and prosperity for all. German self-determination would be assured and "when National Socialism has ruled long enough it will no longer be possible to conceive of a form of life different from ours". Greater Germany sat at the top of a hierarchy of nations in Europe, and the duty of the others was to serve it - it had won this right through blood and iron. Not all modern races were capable of bearing the weight of a constitutional state, and these would have to be dominated by Greater Germany for their own good.

Of course, Europeanism was not taken seriously either by the Führer or by his military and civilian representatives in occupied Europe. As is often pointed out, the people of the Ukraine first welcomed the Nazi invaders, but the occupation authorities proceeded to destroy this goodwill by treating its Slavic population as slave labour to feed the German war economy. The Germans actually managed to cause a famine in the breadbasket of Europe with their policy of repression, and when they changed their mind in 1943 and tried to be more moderate it was too late. They starved two million POWs to death in six months, treating them quite differently from the French or Belgians captured before. This is because they conceived of Greater Germany, and indeed Europe as a whole, as a racial entity rather than a geographic one. And the Slavs were inferior people.

There was no precedent for Hitler's attempt to so radically change the racial make-up of Europe, but if anything it paid homage more to European imperialism in Asia and Africa than any past European wars. At the start of the war many people had not been opposed to the reconstitution of Europe under authoritarian German rule, but the logic of National Socialism alienated them when it was fully revealed. Greater Germany, the Third Reich, was to sit at the head of Europe and dominate it, with all the other peoples of the Old Continent subject to them, if not actual slaves. Had Hitler any care for national self-determination in the conquered territories to the East he might have been successful, but this was so radically alien to what he actually wanted to accomplish he could never entertain them. For, the logic went, would not a house (racially) divided against itself inevitably fall?

1. Principle works: Macht und Erde (Power and State, 1934) and Deutsche Kulturpolitik im Indopazifischen Raum (German Cultural Politics in the Indo-Pacific Region, 1939). Haushofer, along with Friedrich Ratzel, is remembered as one of the fathers of the concept of geopolitics, the study of politics with reference to geography. He and his Jewish wife committed suicide while under investigation for war crimes following the war. He had spent the last year of the war in a concentration camp when he fell out of favour with the Führer.

2. Anschluss, the connection of Austria to Germany, was specifically forbidden under the Treaty for fears of German becoming too strong again, too soon. Hitler had already violated the Treaty by re-creating an airforce and re-instating conscription (1935) and re-militarising the Rhineland (1936).

3. Instead, he retired. Austrian Nazi Artur Seyss-Inquart took over, and invited the Germans in on March 13, 1938, to prevent "disorder". They met no resistance.

Dont Use DRUGS

I am the lizard king



Freak"ish, a.


Apt to change the mind suddenly; whimsical; capricious.

It may be a question whether the wife or the woman was the more freakish of the two. L'Estrange.


Freakish when well, and fretful when she's sick. Pope.
-- Freak"ish*ly, adv. -- Freak"ish*ness, n.
Anyone wanna take a look at my scratch pad,
I have been working hard on this one and really need some feedback...
Warning: system overload.........beeeep....bi......bip....bibibibip....bip.......destroy the humans......beeeeeeeeeep.........

Everything has to come from some place and go somewhere. Thus, when you pollute the air and water or spray pesticides on crops, it comes back to you. This also applies to morality. Moral behavior and enlightened self interest are ultimately inseparable. Commit a crime, and even if you don't get caught, you will suffer the consequences. You may spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder. Or you could self destruct the way Enron did. Enron's executives were willing to do anything to make a profit. Yet, instead of prospering, Enron ended up bankrupt.

The Earl of Essex is a title in the Peerage of England which historically dates back to the twelfth century, but is currently in the posession of the Capel family who have held it for the past three and a half centuries.

1. Mandeville

The Mandeville family most likely originated from Mandeville in Normandy, however there are a number of locations in Normandy which have place names derived from the Latin 'Magna Villa', and there has never been any indication as to which of these was the home of the Anglo-Norman Mandevilles. In any event shortly after the Norman Conquest there was a Geoffrey de Mandeville who was amongst the most significant of the king's tenants-in-chief at the time of the Domesday Book and also held the office of Constable of the Tower of London. The family however suffered something of a setback when Geoffrey's son William de Mandeville, allowed Ranulf Flambard to escape from the Tower of London early in 1101 and flee to Normandy, for which offence he was fined more than £2,200 and effectively lost three of his more valuable manors.

Nevertheless William's son Geoffrey was later created the Earl of Essex in 1140 by king Stephen for "reasons which are somewhat obscure" and around the same also seems to have recovered the family's traditional office of Constable of the Tower of London. The 1st Earl later variously supported Stephen or Matilda as the fancy took him, but later died on the 16th September 1144 as a consequence of his injuries received in battle.

This Geoffrey de Mandeville had two sons, the elder son Ernulf appears to have been excluded from consideration on the grounds of his excommunication, and the family estates into the hands of the younger son Geoffrey. This Geoffrey was granted the title Earl of Essex by king Henry I in January 1156, which might well be interpreted as being an entirely new creation of the title, but he his nevertheless commonly regarded as the second earl of his line. The 2nd Earl died without issue at Chester on the 21st October 1166, and was succeeded by his younger brother William, when went on Crusade during the years 1177 to 1178, and is also regarded as having become the Earl of Albemarle through his wife Hawise, but died without issue on the 24th November 1189.

The 3rd Earl's heir was his aunt Beatrix de Mandeville, the only sister of the 1st Earl. Beatrix was still alive at the time of her nephew's death, and it was agreed that her younger son Geoffrey de Say could stand in her place but he failed to raise the sum required to gain possession of the earldom's estates. Although Beatrix's elder son William de Say had died in 1177, he had left two daughters, the elder of whom named Beatrice married a Geoffrey Fitz Piers. Since this Geoffrey was willing and able to pay the sum of 3,000 marks to the crown for the privilege of taking possession of the Mandeville estates, he was duly recognised as the Earl of Essex.

2. Fitz Piers, Mandeville (again) and Bohun

The Geoffrey Fitz Piers in question was the son of a Piers de Lutegareshale, who later served as the Justiciar of England from 1189 until his death on the 14th October 1213. He was followed by his eldest son Geoffrey who later assumed the surname of Mandeville, and through his marriage to Isabel Fitz Robert also obtained the title of Earl of Gloucester in 1214. However this marriage was largely forced upon the 5th Earl by king John essentially as a means of extracting the sum of 20,000 marks, which later appears to have inspired him to join the rebellion against the king.

Geoffrey however died without issue on the 23rd February 1216 having been wounded whilst participating in a tournament at London, and the title passed to his younger brother William Mandeville (the earldom of Gloucester remained with Isabel Fitz Robert and eventually passed into the hands of the de Clare family.) William was one of those who supported Louis of France following king John's death, but subsequently made his peace with Henry III but later died without issue on the 8th January 1227. The 6th Earl's heir was his sister Maud de Mandeville who had earlier married Henry de Bohun, 1st Earl of Hereford, and their son Henry, the 2nd Earl of Hereford, became in addition the Earl of Essex in 1227. The Bohuns although generally known as Earls of Hereford, continued to hold both titles until the death of Humphrey de Bohun, the last of the line in January 1373.

Humphrey de Bohun, 7th Earl of Hereford and 12th Earl of Essex died leaving two daughters as his coheirs. The eldest daughter Alianore or Eleanor married Thomas of Woodstock, the seventh and youngest son of Edward III, who received the Essex estates as his share of the Bohun riches and was therefore regarded as having succeeded as the 13th Earl of Essex, was certainly known as the Earl of Buckingham and Essex from 1377 onwards before being created the Duke of Gloucester in 1385. Thomas was subsequently killed at Calais on the 8th or 9th September 1397 on the orders of Richard II and subsequently attainted. Of Thomas's three daughters and eventual coheirs; there was Joan died unmarried on the 16th August 1400 and Isabel who became a nun, leaving Anne who married the Earl of Stafford and then took for her second husband one William Bourchier.

3. Bourchier, Cromwell and Parr

The Bourchiers were an Essex family who had first risen to prominence during the reign of Edward II (and for whose origins see Baron Bourchier). By the beginning of the fifteenth century they were represented by William Bourchier, the Count of Eu in Normandy, who married Anne, daughter of the aforementioned Thomas of Woodstock, and the only one of Thomas's daughters to have children of her own. William died in 1420 and was succeeded by his son Henry, who then succeeded as the 5th Baron Bourchier following the death of his cousin Elizabeth on the 1st July 1433. Henry became a significant figure in the government of Henry VI, and was the Treasurer of England from 1455 until October 1456 when he deserted the king and transferred his support to the Yorkists. (But then he was married to Isabel, daughter of Richard of Conisburgh and therefore sister to the Duke of York.) After the battle of Northampton he was again Treasurer from 1460 to 1462, and once more from 1471 until his death. In return for his support he was created the Earl of Essex by Edward IV on the 30th June 1461.

The 1st Earl died on the 4th April 1483, and since his son William (who had married Anne Wydville, sister of the Elizabeth who married Edward IV), had earlier been killed at the battle of Barnet in 1471 fighting for the Yorkists he was succeeded by his grandson Henry Bourchier. In many ways the timing was fortunate as the eleven year old 2nd Earl was far too young to be involved in the political events surrounding the accession and later deposition of Richard III, and therefore passed through life to the accession of the Tudor regime entirely unscathed. Unfortunately he later broke his neck after falling from a horse on the 13th March 1540 and died without male issue rendering his earldom extinct.

The 2nd Earl's only daughter and sole heir was Anne, the Baroness Bourchier in her own right, who was married at the age of ten to a William Parr, and William (or at least his mother who had negotiated the marriage) anticipated that his father-in-law's earldom would then be awarded to him in due course, but was to be disappointed when the title of Earl of Essex was granted by king Henry VIII to his chief minister Thomas Cromwell on the 17th April 1540. However Cromwell rapidly fell out of the king's favour afterwards, being attainted on the 29th June 1540 and then executed for treason at Tower Hill on the 28th July 1540.

Notwithstanding the fact that his wife deserted him in 1541, William was eventually created the Earl of Essex on the 23rd December 1543 by Henry VIII, by which time his sister Katherine Parr had become the last of the king's six wives. William was subsequently promoted to Marquess of Northampton by Edward VI, but then attainted in 1553 by Queen Mary as a result of his support for Lady Jane Grey. Although William was subsequently recreated the Marquess of Northampton by Mary's successor Elizabeth, his other titles remained under the attainder, and in any event he died without issue on the 28th October 1571 rendering his marquessate extinct together with whatever claims he may have had on any other titles.

4. Devereux

The Devereux were a prominent family from the west of England who had since 1550 held the title of Viscount Hereford. With the earldom of Essex now vacant Walter Devereux, the 2nd Viscount Hereford therefore made a claim on the title based on the fact that his grandmother was Cecille Bourchier the daughter of Henry Bourchier the 1st of the Bourchier line of Earls and on the 4th May 1572 he was granted the title.

On his death in 1576 the title passed to his son Robert Devereux who became the 2nd Earl and became one of the favourites of queen Elizabeth I, being made a Knight of the Garter as well as holding the offices of Marshal of England and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. After falling out of favour with the queen in 1599 he attempted to launch an uprising in London, failed, was taken prisoner, convicted of high treason, and executed at Tower Hill on the 25th February 1601 at the age of 34.

Robert Devereux's son, another Robert Devereux, was allowed to inherit the title in 1604 becoming the 3rd Earl. This second Robert was a noted supporter of Charles I until 1642, when he changes sides and supported the Parliamentarian cause becoming commander in chief of the Parliamentary Army until the passing of the Self-denying Ordinance in April 1645. He died however on the 14th September 1646 without male heirs and the title of Earl of Essex became extinct. (But not, incidentally that of Hereford which passed to a distant cousin - see Viscount Hereford.)

5. Capel and Capell

Arthur Capel, 1st Baron Capel was a supporter of Charles I and was executed in 1649 along with the king. His son another Arthur Capel, was rewarded for his father's loyalty by being made Earl of Essex in 1661 by the restored Charles II. The younger Arthur enjoyed a career in government serving as both a privy councillor and a Lord Lieutenant of Ireland but became increasingly suspicious of the Roman Catholic tendencies of the Stuart monarchs. He was eventually implicated in the Rye House Plot of June 1683 and imprisoned in the Tower of London. It was there on the 13th of July that he was discovered with his throat cut; an apparent suicide possibly motivated by his desire to avoid attainder and the consequent loss of the family's estates.

He was succeeded by his son William, followed by his son William Anne Holles in 1743 and his son George. The 5th Earl George Capel died without issue and was succeeded by his brother Arthur Algernon Capell, whose son in turn, predeceased him, so that the 7th Earl, George Devereux de Vere Capell was his grandson. The 8th Earl Algernon George de Vere Capell succeeded his father, and was later succeeded by his son Reginald George de Vere Capell the 9th Earl.

The 9th Earl died in 1981 without heirs or indeed any apparent immediate male relatives. There appeared to be two possible claimants to the title; one an American grocer by the name of William Jennings Capell, the other also a grocer and former Post Office clerk by the name of Bob Capell. Robert Edward de Vere Capell, to give him his full name, was eventually able to demonstrate that his great-grandfather was an older brother of his rival's great-grandfather and thus after eight years prove his claim to the title.

Bob Capell died on the 5th June 2005 and was succeeded by his only son Paul, a retired teacher and former deputy headmaster of Skerton County Primary School who had apparently made little use of his courtesy title of the Viscount Malden. Residing in a two bedroom bungalow called 'Lindisfarne' in the village of Caton near Lancaster, the current Earl of Essex is a sixty-one year old bachelor. The heir to the title is therefore the aforementioned William Jennings Capell from Yuba City, California, who unfortuantely does not appear to have any sons or obvious male heirs thus raising the possibility that the title will become extinct within the course of time.


(The first four earls appear to have spelt Capel with one 'l', the fifth took the name of 'Capel-Coningsby', but from the sixth earl onwards the family name has been Capell with two 'ls'.)


THE EARLS OF ESSEX

MANDEVILLE

FITZPIERS/MANDEVILLE

BOHUN

PLANTAGENET

BOURCHIER

CROMWELL

PARR

DEVEREUX

CAPEL/CAPELL


SOURCES

  • THE ENGLISH PEERAGE or, a view of the ANCIENT and PRESENT STATE of the ENGLISH NOBILITY London: (1790) see
    http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/History/Barons/
  • The 1911 Encyclopedia Brittanica entries for
    ESSEX, EARLS OF
    See http://1911encyclopedia.org/index.htm
  • Mandeville and Fitzpiers genealogy at
    http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/mm4ae/mandeville1.htm
  • Capel genealogy at
    www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/cc4aq/capell01.htm
  • Royal Genealogy information held at University of Hull see
    http://www.dcs.hull.ac.uk/public/genealogy/royal
  • RoyaList Online at http://www.royalist.info/royalist/index.html
  • Charles Arnold Baker The Companion to British History (Longcross Press, 1996)
  • http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/Contents/book/UK/FHP/Peerage/fhp-ESSEX.asp
  • See also the sources for Robert Edward de Vere Capell, 10th Earl of Essex

"There was not an atom of hate on either side that day;
and yet, on our side, not for a moment was the will to war
and the will to beat them relaxed"

Bruce Bairnsfather, British soldier and author of "Old Bill" cartoons

"one human episode amid all the atrocities
which have stained the memory of the war"

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, publishing one year later


The Christmas Truce of 1914 is one of the great legends of the First World War, spawning many books on the subject and at least one song ("Christmas in the Trenches"). Although some have dismissed it as mere myth, it undoubtably did happen - the evidence, both literary and photographic, is unquestionable. However, many people are unaware as to the exact nature of the truce. Where along the line did the truce take place, and where did it not? How long did it last? Why did it happen where it did, and why not where it didn't? These questions must be answered to provide an accurate overview of this remarkable event.

Other Examples

1914 was by no means the first example of soldiers in conflicts throughout history taking a break and "fraternising" with the enemy. For example, in the Peninsular campaign, part of the Napoleonic Wars, there have been lulls in the fighting reported between British and French troops, and similiar ones in the Crimean War between Russians and Brits, and on occasion the French as well. Later there are examples from the American Civil War and, as late as 1900, the Boer War.

However, all of these must be taken in context. The majority of these temporary respites from war (such as a football match between troops in South Africa during the Boer War) only occurred during talks or conferences that were happening anyway. Also, only nationalities willing to participate in such truces would do so. Spanish forces in the Peninsular War, for example, would not even contemplate fraternising with the hated French invaders. Later, in 1914, this would also be an issue, as generally (although not in all cases, as some French and Belgians also took part) only German forces a short distance away from British lines would try to instigate a short peace. Despite this, these examples show that close proximity to enemy forces for prolonged periods often led to such breaks, with soldiers swapping memoribilia and stories, or perhaps even playing cards together round the same fire. So the Christmas Truce of 1914 was not a particularly unique occurrence in warfare; but is certainly still the greatest example of a short-term truce in modern times.

Christmas Eve, 1914

Although for most of the day the routine was the same as for any other of this cold winter, the British forces opposite certain parts of the German frontline began to notice changes when night began to fall. It was a German tradition to erect christmas trees, adorned with lit candles, and these began to appear in the trenches. At first, perhaps unsuprisingly, these slightly confused the British lookouts and sentries, and the sightings were reported back to Staff headquarters. Although the top brass were suspicious, orders were given to merely observe and to not open fire.

Then the sound of carols being sung in German drifted across No Man's Land; the British promptly responded with carols of their own. Hostile feeling was rapidly eroding, and before long greetings were being called across from and towards either side; English-speaking Germans called to "Tommy", and the British to "Fritz". In some areas parties were invited across to the other side, to negotiate an armistice over the Christmas period or perhaps just swap cigars and brandy. Contrary to popular belief, it was not just the common soldier who participated, but NCOs and officers alike.

Rumours of such meetings between the sides spread up and down the lines, and many agreements to allow each side to bury its dead sprang up. It was during this duty that soldiers from both sides inevitably came into contact, with the subsequent swapping of letters etc. The infamous football match occurred between the English Bedfordshire Regiment and unknown German troops - the Germans reportedly won the game 3-2. The truce lasted for different lengths of time, in some places only until Christmas Day was over, in others as long as New Year.

Reaction

The Allied governments and High Command, in particular the French, reacted with indignation. They were not at all happy that the "fraternisation" had taken place, and had gone to some lengths to avoid it beforehand. For example, some senior officers had predicted a lull in hostilities over Christmas, and had therefore placed their troops on high alert. Where this failed, immediately after fighting had resumed orders were issued so that it would not recur, and some local commanders were reprimanded for allowing it. For example, the following is part of an order that was issued to the British II Corps (then under Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien):

"Friendly intercourse with the enemy, unofficial armistices (e.g. 'we won't fire if you don't' etc.) and the exchange of tobacco and other comforts, however tempting and occasionally amusing they may be, are absolutely prohibited."

In fact, the Roman Catholic Church had called for a halt to the fighting over Christmas some time in advance. Although the German government indicated that they might agree, the Allies for some reason would not, so the war was to go on over Christmas. Afterwards, an inquiry sought to discover whether it was pre-meditated or not; the investigation concluded that it was a truly spontaneous event, that occurred in some places yet in many others did not.

The event was also given quite a lot of publicity in both Germany and Britain, with articles about it appearing in newspapers throughout January 1915. Letters from front-line soldiers were published, as were photographs of the actual event showing troops from both sides side by side. The reaction amongst the soldiers themselves was one of astonishment; they could barely believe it happened. The war was never forgotten, however, and the opportunity for both sides to observe the enemy trenches from up close was not lost. Valuable information was gathered that day.

Never Again

The negative reaction from the top commanders of the armies facing each other across No Man's Land towards the truce meant that it was not to be repeated the next year. Artillery bombardments were increased over the period in 1915, and in any case by then feelings of goodwill towards the enemy were largely forgotten, as the war dragged on and casualties mounted.

On the other hand, short truces still ocurred, on occasion, for the purpose of burying the dead. Ernst Junger, at the time a German Lieutenant, describes the scene in his part of the line on the 11th of December 1915:

"I couldn't believe the sight that met my eyes. The battlefield...was now animated as a fairground. The occupants of both trenches had emerged...already a lively exchange of schnapps, cigarettes, uniform buttons and other items had commenced...suddenly a shot rang out that laid one of our men dead in the mire, whereupon both sides quickly scuttled back into their trenches."

Christmas was not to be a happy occasion in his sector that year. The Christmas spirit was not much in evidence, as Junger recalls:

"We spent Christmas Eve in the line, and, standing in the mud, sang hymns, to which the British responded with machine-gun fire. On Christmas Day, we lost one man to a ricochet in the head. Immediately afterwards, the British attempted a friendly gesture by hauling a Christmas tree up on their traverse, but our angry troops quickly shot it down again, to which Tommy replied with rifle-grenades. It was all in all a less than merry Christmas."

Despite the fact that it was a one-off, the Christmas Truce of 1914 possesses a human element that has made it so attractive down the years. It is what makes it such a great Christmas story, that in the midst of the possibly the most horrific conflict to that point in history such a thing could happen.


Sources:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/christmastruce.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1998/10/98/world_war_i/197627.stm
Ernst Junger, "Storm of Steel" (2003 translation by Michael Hofmann; first published in 1920)
Thanks to Chiisuta for telling me about the song.

Submitted for The Ninjagirls Christmas Special.

Quick Note: Why is this node called the Reconquest? Many people would say that the Byzantine Empire never held Italy previous to this point. This is a reconquest mostly because of the political state of Italy at the time. The Italian area of the Roman Empire is typically said to have fallen in the fifth century, but politically it was still seen as a protectorate of the new Rome (the Byzantium) up until the crowning of Charlemagne. Many leaders during those, more or less, four centuries after the fall of Rome set themselves as viceroys of the area under the Byzantine Empire. The actual fall of the area into non-Roman hands was more of a political ploy by Rome’s Papacy for complete independence from the Orthodoxy of the Byzantium, with whom they feuded more and more often as the years passed. The view we have today of two Romes is more the result of the Papacy who created the myth of Constantine the Great leaving the western crown with the Papacy in order to validate their right to crown Charlemagne and achieve their independence from the east.

Overview

The emperor who led the reconquest was the great Justinian I. Justinian I early reign was a time of turmoil. Almost from the first day that the eastern empire (Byzantine Rome) could be said to have become a political entity, it was in conflict with the Persians to the east. As well, over the two centuries that had passed, large-scale migrations had greatly changed the population of Europe. The Vandals, the Slavs, the Bulgurs, the Lombards, the Ostrogoths, to name a few; all had moved into new lands, many into areas that once were lightly populated Roman lands.

By the time Justinian came to the throne, the Byzantine Empire seemed very likely to follow its other half into turmoil and destruction. Emperors were still emperors only at the whim of the military, the people (those who actually considered themselves Romans), were either too powerful or lacked power at all. The newcomers to the areas, especially the Balkans were putting a strain both on the military and the Byzantine sovereignty of the region. The military arm of the empire was increasingly made up of mercenaries, as the Roman population in the east was rather small throughout the Byzantine history.

Note: The use of mercenaries was a necessity rather than just a statement of weakness. Byzantium Rome just did not have enough people to staff all the armies they would need to rule such a vast area.

Justinian would rise to the political scene under his uncle Justin. It was during this time that he gained a reputation for bringing back the pageantry that the people wished to associate with the empire. He was chief in making the Romans appreciate and celebrate their past and their nationality again.

It was some time after the Nika Troubles that Justinian made a peace with the Persians. (One of many treaties that gave this constant war a few periods of peace.) Under Justinian and after the Nika Troubles, the country had actually prospered; the loyalty of the army and its mercenaries was less questioned and borders, including those in the northern Balkans were actually rather settled. Justinian determined it was time to reclaim his hegemony in Western Europe.

The young emperor had the luck of having a gifted and loyal general under his command by the name of Belisarius. Belisarius was a true man of the military, skilled in command, unquestioned in bravery and an excellent leader of men. His only weakness was his wife Antonina who was once a courtesan, much like the emperor’s own wife, but had refused to give up the lifestyle she so enjoyed even after marriage. Her actions would cause much embarrassment to the imperial general. Overall though, Justinian could not have asked for a better man to lead his reconquest.

The North African Campaign

Much like the Allies in World War II, North Africa, especially the area of modern day Tunisia, was seen as the first area that needed to be taken to gain Italy. The Vandals had migrated here over time and conquered the area under the great leader King Gaiseric. But Gaiseric was long dead and his distant cousin Galimer now ruled the area. Between the two no comparison can be drawn in ability; Galimer was nothing like his cousin had been. But still he chose to resist the Empire. His reply to Justinian’s demand of North Africa is said to have been, “nothing is more desirable than that a monarch should mind his own business” (pp 66 – 67, Norwich). Understandably the line was now drawn. Justinian had no choice but to take the area by force.

The force set out on Midsummer Day 534, under Belisarius. The force consisted of 5000 cavalry (mostly Huns), about 10,000 infantry all carried in about 500 transports and escorted by 92 dromons (Byzantium’s fighting ship). The fleet would land south of Carthage with very little trouble beyond food poisoning from some bad military rations. The troops disembarked and began the march north towards Carthage.

Belisarius’ army was still about 10 miles away from Carthage, on September 13th, when the Vandal army struck the Byzantine forces. Galimer had planned a three-pronged attack. The army would be split into three, one force under his command, one under his brother Ammatus and the third under his nephew Gibamund. Unfortunately, either through bad planning or bad communication, the attack did not go off as planned. Ammatus moved too early and his forces were easily broken, Ammatus himself killed. The Hun cavalry then charged the forces of Gibamund before they could actually attack the Byzantine forces.

Galimer himself was supposed to act as the reserves and was to be the last to engage the Byzantine forces. As he moved towards battle he is said to have come upon the body of his brother and lost all will to fight. His troops easily broke and with Galimer tried to flee the battle, unfortunately for the Vandals the road north had been seized by Byzantine detachments and they were forced to flee into the western desert.

With Carthage open to Belisarius the battle for North Africa had been quickly won. By September 15th, the city of Carthage was again in Roman hands.

The Vandal king Galimer tried one more time to defeat the Byzantine forces and with his brother Tzazo advanced on Carthage. But they were easily defeated and the army fled. This time Belisarius followed the Vandal forces. At the city of Hippo, the Vandals were completely defeated and any threat removed. Belisarius returned to Carthage with all of Galimer’s wealth and many Vandal prisoners. Galimer himself finally surrendered in March of 534.

The Italian Campaign

Italy was an entirely different situation. Not only were the Ostrogoths, who then ruled the area, more civilized, but they also ruled as viceroys under the Byzantine emperor and made great pains not to anger the Orthodox Church and most often to actually improve relations with the church. As would happen though, so very often, in history matters had a habit of resolving themselves.

The great leader of the Arian Goths (Ostrogoths) had been Theodoric. He though had died in 526 AD, but not before bequeathing his title to his eight-year-old grandson, Athalaric, the son of Theodoric’s only daughter Amalasuntha. Amalasuntha was a thoroughly classically trained woman, she understood both Greek and Latin and had extensive learning, she also though had a major desire for power. The Goth nobles though were greatly worried about Amalasuntha’s insistence that her son would receive a classical education. They were quick to bring Athalaric under their own wings and deny his mother access to her child.

This prompted Amalasuntha to begin correspondence with Justinian I, in an effort to regain her power. It was agreed that she would flee across the Adriatic Sea to Dyrrachium, where she would petition the emperor to restore her to power. This idea was readily agreeable to Justinian, as Amalasuntha did not lack in respect from the common people of Italy and indeed even from some of the nobles. Justinian expected that Italy could be regained with very little or even no blood lost.

Events though moved much too fast. Under the nobles Athalaric had gained a penchant for drinking his life away. He died at the age of seventeen in the capitol of Ravenna and was quickly succeeded by his cousin Theodahad. Amalasuntha seeing that Theodahad was a man to be ruled rather than a man to rule abandoned her plans with Justinian and petitioned the new Goth king with the idea of a joint rule. Theodahad eagerly accepted.

Again Justinian I was left with no idea how to proceed in the reconquest of Italy. Again though the Goths would provide him what he needed as the political quagmire that was Italy seemed to only get thicker, deeper and more advantageous to the Empire all the time. In April 535, Theodahad had Amalasuntha imprisoned and just a short while later had her murdered. Justinian now had his reason.

War is Declared

Belisarius was again to command the attack. With 7,500 men he was commanded to sail to Sicily and to seize the island. Sicily fell to Belisarius with almost no effort and he prepared to make for the southern mainland and Naples. Unfortunately a revolt began in North Africa and Belisarius was forced to put it down. It was not until the spring of the 536 AD that he would be able to return to the campaign.

Belisarius landed in southern Italy and proceeded north to Naples with no resistance from the Goths or any other forces for that matter. Naples though would be his first serious test, as the city refused to submit to the Byzantine forces. After a three week siege the city fell and was summarily looted for three days as was the custom of the time.

Note: This was an excepted custom to be used ONLY against cities that resisted capture. Most kingdoms used the custom during the Roman era (of which the Byzantine, at least early Byzantine, is part of) as sort of an incentive to surrender.

The Conquest of Rome

Theodahad’s reign would not last much past the fall of Naples. He was deposed and executed, his successor being an old general by the name of Vitiges. Vitiges’ first announcement was the abandoning of Rome. Belisarius though did not move towards Rome for many months. It wasn’t until he received an invitation from Pope Silverius that he finally marched north. It would be expected that he had been waiting for this very thing as a diplomatic coup. On December 9th, 536 Belisarius arrived in Rome as the garrison left by the Goths fled the city.

The general immediately set to fortifying the city. Massive amounts of grain was collected from the countryside, as well as from Sicily, and the age scarred walls of Rome were repaired to withstand the siege that Belisarius expected to come. And as was expected, the Goths arrived at Rome under command of Vitiges. In March of 537 they took up positions around the city, cutting the aqueducts into the city first and then beginning the siege of Rome itself.

Belisarius, thanks in large part to his foresight in preparing for the siege, was able to withstand the Goths. It was after a few months of siege that a small contingent of 1,600 Slavs and Huns, sent as reinforcements from the empire, broke through the Goth blockade to reinforce and resupply the city. From that point, Belisarius was now able to commence occasional attacks against the Goths. By the time summer was rolling around though plagues were breaking out within the Goth ranks and famine had set into the Byzantine ranks, as well as the people of Rome.

Still though the Byzantine forces and the Roman peoples resisted the Goths. Their struggle would bear fruit in March of 538, a year after the siege began, when 5,000 reinforcements arrived from the empire under the command of a general named John. Thereafter the balance began to shift heavily and the Goths requested a peace from Belisarius. The general forwarded the request to Constantinople and awaited a reply.

It was during this time that Belisarius sent John on campaign. With 2,000 cavalry, John was sent northward towards Rimini. Burning and looting along the way, he finally arrived, seized the area and set up his forward headquarters in Rimini. Belisarius, fearing that John would be defeated there, sent two officers to John’s headquarters to fetch the general home. John though refused and just days later the Goths began the siege of Rimini.

Now as the powers within the Byzantium hierarchy had started to get strained by too many strong wills, a third and even more disastrous addition was made. One Narses, a eunuch and hero of the Nika Troubles, was dispatched to Italy to both relieve the Byzantium forces and to watch Belisarius, who Justinian felt was becoming just a bit too successful. Narses immediately called for a council wherein he decided that a relief operation to Rimini should be undertaken. Belisarius, knowing he would be over-ruled anyway kept silent so as not to earn disfavor or dishonor. Belisarius though did lead the attempt and when it was successful and John gave Narses the recognition, then did all semblance of a command structure break down in Italy.

Narses may have been a very poor commander, but his was an awe-inspiring leader of men. Very quickly the common soldiers in the Byzantine army began to be swayed over to his side. When things seemed to be at their worst though, the question of Milan arose and the whole mess was flung onto another ever more damaging level.

The Siege of Milan

Milan’s archbishop had requested help from Belisarius in freeing the city from the Goths. Belisarius would accept and sent 1,000 men to Milan. Immediately upon their arrival the city welcomed them and the act was followed by many other cities within the region. Each of these cities required a garrison too and the force of soldiers that eventually was left in Milan numbered about 300. So it was that the Byzantium forces were hopelessly outnumbered when Vitiges sent a Goth army, along with 10,000 Burgandy reinforcements against Milan. Belisarius, seeing that Milan was in peril sent John and another general, Justin, to relieve Milan.

The two generals marched north towards Milan, but realizing that they were heavily outnumbered they refused to cross the Po River. Nothing Belisarius could do would persuade them and eventually the two announced that they now followed only the orders of Narses. Thus due to these command breakdowns Milan would fall and though the few Byzantium soldiers in the city were spared, in return for opening the gates, the people of Milan were slaughtered for their betrayal with all the females in the city being given to the Burgundians as slaves.

Due to this huge setback, Narses was almost immediately recalled from Italy and command fell once again to Belisarius. With no resistance within his own command structure, the general was again able to actually fight the Goths. In a very short period, all of Italy outside of Ravenna was in Byzantine hands and Ravenna itself was surrounded on all sides by Belisarius’ forces.

The First Italian Campaign Draws to a Close

During that year though, word had reached Justinian that the Persians were preparing for war with the Byzantines. He had no choice but to seek peace in Italy so that he might prepare for war in the east. By the time his orders reached Belisarius, the Byzantine forces in Italy had already surrounded Ravenna. The deal that the emperor was willing to offer was the retention of all lands north of the Po River for the Goths. Belisarius though was unwilling to accept that idea when he was so close to victory. Instead he accepted an offer to make himself the Western Emperor in return for Ravenna and Vitiges giving the throne to Belisarius. After much consideration and counseling Belisarius agreed to the offer and was welcomed into Ravenna. He immediately reneged on his agreement and after looting the city, turned it over to Justinian thus continuing his role of being a great AND loyal general. The Byzantine general did keep one promise; there was no looting of the private houses of Ravenna and the populace was spared.

So it was, that with Italy under Roman control for the first time in a century Belisarius went home expecting to be welcomed as a hero. In fact Justinian I had grown wary of his general, fearing that more fame meant less loyalty. Belisarius was not given his parades, he was instead hastened off to the east to fight yet another long and bitter campaign.

In Italy it would take less than a year for the five generals left in Italy to lose almost all of Belisarius’ gains to a new Goth army. The stage would be set for another campaign in Italy.

The Goths Retake Italy

Throughout Italy there were only small pockets of resistance from the Goths. Mostly they were put down, but the Byzantine generals in the area and their penchant for looting the areas, along with the imperial tax collectors who were stripping the area of wealth, combined to make it easier and easier for these groups to survive. One Goth, a recently elevated chieftain by the name of Hildebad would become the leader of the Goth resistance to the empire.

By 540, thanks in large part to the oppression by the Byzantine generals, Hildebad’s army had grown from 1,000 men to a force large enough to face the Byzantine armies one on one. Because Vitiges had offered Belisarius the rank of emperor, Justinian I was afraid that the leading governor of Italy might accept any other offer. So it was that he placed a man of unquestioned loyalty in control of the area. Unfortunately the new governor was also of unquestionable lack of skill. He did nothing to improve the situation and the Byzantium holdings in Italy fell yet faster.

During this time, Hildebad had been murdered and a new leader had risen. This was Totila, the most skilled leader the Goths had found in a long time. Totila appealed to the younger Italians to rise against their Byzantine oppressors. It wouldn’t take long before his tactic worked. Totila would proceed to drive the Byzantine forces from Verona, route them outside Farenza and in the spring of 542 AD, he completely destroyed the army if John in a battle north of Florence.

By the summer of 542 Totila controlled all of Italy outside of Ravenna, Rome, Florence and Naples, as well as a few coastal cities and towns. Totila now began the siege of Naples, starved the people and forced the Byzantine garrison to flee the city. The fall of Naples was resounding and with all of Byzantine Italy set to fall back into barbarian hands, the emperor had no choice, Belisarius was again dispatched to Italy. Meanwhile Totila set about appealing to the people of Rome to rise against the Byzantine forces and give the city to him, but by 544 nothing had happened and Totila set out to take the city himself.

The Second Italian Campaign

It just so happened though that Belisarius was at this time already on his way to Italy. He would go into the new campaign with many more problems than he had during the last. Justinian had given him few troops, and what he had were inexperienced. He had very little money. And most damning, this time it was not just the Goths he was fighting, but the entire population of Italy.

Within a year of arriving back in Italy, Belisarius had relieved a siege on the city of Otrano and rebuilt and the defenses at Pesaro. He was woefully outnumbered though and in May 545 he requested reinforcements from the emperor. Thankfully they were sent, with the general John and an Armenian named Isaac in the lead. At about this time, the armies of Totila had reached Rome and began a siege. Rome’s garrison commander Bessas had made little effort to prepare and the city was in dire straits.

Belisarius now was committed to an almost suicidal course, and he set up his plans for the relief of Rome. Though the Goth fleet controlled the Tiber, Belisarius knew that if he managed to move his troops through the enemy ships and Bessas kept the Goth troops busy that he would have a chance to attack the Goth siege troops from behind. So the camps were struck and Belisarius approached Rome, unbeknownst to him Bessas made no effort to occupy Totila’s attentions. Isaac was left behind to guard the captured areas (as well as Antonina, who like always had accompanied her husband on campaign). It was to be, that as Belisarius approached the Goth forces, word arrived that Isaac and thus Antonina had been captured. Belisarius immediately reversed his heading.

It would turn out that in fact it had only been Isaac who was captured. In blatant disregard for his commander’s orders, Isaac had attacked a Goth controlled city. His force was defeated and he was captured, but only a small part of the Byzantine force had been lost and Antonina was safe. Belisarius had achieved much in a short while though, his retaking of Pesaro and Otrano had forced the Goths back and slowed down their advances, it had also made it much tougher for Totila to advance again, but the general was becoming more and more convinced that the war could no longer be won and so he sent Antonina back to Constantinople as an emissary asking the emperor to look towards peace.

Antonina was expected to confer with Justinian's wife Theodora and thus force herself upon the ear of Justinian I. Unexpectedly though she returned to find Theodora dead, the emperor in mourning and actually more than ready to hear what Belisarius had to say. Antonina convinced the emperor that if the war in Italy was to be eventually lost and that if peace was not an option that her husband should at least be recalled so as to spare him the loss of face. So it was that on the eve of victory, Belisarius was recalled from Italy and the war allowed to languish again.

Prelude to Victory

But the war would suffer some because of a theological debate in the empire, one that would push the Papacy yet further away from the Orthodoxy. With Totila still at the gates of Rome and every day another one where he might capture and be able to influence the pope, action was demanded. Justinian had the pope seized and brought to Constantinople where he might be persuaded to see the theological question Justinian’s way. And so the situation might have remained for an indefinite period of time, but that on the 16th of January 550, a garrison guarding Rome instead opened the gates and Totila entered. The Goths made to stay too, they settled in the city and invited refugees back in, as well as Totila’s taking on imperial trappings and restarting the Circus Maximus.

The Final Conflicts

Justinian I now had no choice but to act. Instead of sending Belisarius back to Italy though he chose Narses, who was sent with massive amounts of manpower and resources. By the summer of 552, Narses was in Italy at the head of 35,000 men. They advanced from the Adriatic Sea to Ravenna and then southward down the Via Flemina upon which Totila marched north to block their way. So it was that towards the end of June that the daylong Battle of Taginae was engaged. Totila was mortally wounded in the battle and died during the Goth retreat. His general Teia took up the resistance, but just did not have enough left to fight the massive army of Narses. Rome fell shortly after the battle between Narses and Totila and the Byzantine forces continued to push south.

In one of the valley of the Sarno River, merely a handful of miles from Pompeii, the two armies met for the last time in the Battle of Mons Lactarius. Teia was killed by a javelin, early in the battle, and the Goth forces were completely destroyed. Finally it was over, Justinian I had gained Italy, the Goths had been defeated and the Roman Empire again ruled over both East and West. But the empire had been almost impoverished and completely overstretched by the campaign. In just one man’s reign it had reached its height and now it would begin the descent. Italy would not last forever in Byzantine grasp and it would be only a few short centuries before the Muslim hordes out of Arabia would take Sicily. But for the time being the Roman Empire was restored.

Sources

Norwich, J. J. (1988) A short history of Byzantium. Vintage Books.

http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/naples/darkages.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/byzantium/alltexts.html