Though everyone here is well acquainted with photographs and find absolutely nothing astonishing about them, there are some people who see them as being evil magic.

The Bedouin are a famous tribe that live in the Middle East and North Africa. They believe that a photograph actually steals a part of their soul. Many an enthusiastic tourist has taken a photograph of a Bedouin trader in a town near the desert, only for the Bedouin to charge at them, take their camera and rip the roll of film up.

This might sound ridiculous, but you do have to understand that they cannot understand how the photograph can be an exact duplicate, without it being magic. It's not as if many people here can explain in 100% Physics how it works - all we can be sure of is that we put the film in the camera, point and click. So imagine what a people without any modern technology would think.

So, for any of you that were thinking about taking "quaint" photos of a Bedouin, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Pho"to*graph (?), n. [Photo- + -graph.]

A picture or likeness obtained by photography.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pho"to*graph, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Photographed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Photographing (?).]

To take a picture or likeness of by means of photography; as, to photograph a view; to photograph a group.

He makes his pen drawing on white paper, and they are afterwards photographed on wood. Hamerton.

Also used figuratively.

He is photographed on my mind. Lady D. Hardy.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pho"to*graph, v. i.

To practice photography; to take photographs.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.