A genuinely friendly and informal web community where you can learn about photography as your skills progresses. A place to visit especially if you are just starting out. It's almost like moving into a village filled with photographers! You can ask questions. Buy and sell. Post lost and founds. Answer questions. Offer neighbor to neighbor advices and review your favorite photographic stores and equipments. If you put all that you know there that information will never be lost and will always be searchable in the future. It's a healthy community you'll sure to love, try it :)

It appears to be completely non-profit and cost nothing to use. But all who use it profits through sharing.

photo.net reminds me of everything2 in many ways, except that it specializes in the discussion of topics pertaining to photography.

Beside asking questions and getting answers (or offering them, of course), the members may also post their photographs, organize them into folders and portfolios. The photographs may be kept private, i.e., only you and your inner circle may view them, or public, i.e., anyone can see them. Even if they are public, you get to clearly state your copyright and allow or disallow others to use your photographs (most people do not allow such usage).

When you post your photographs, others can leave comments, which are generally very positive. Similarly, you can comment on other members' photographs.

Unlike E2, most people do not use handles but their real names.

Membership is free, which is quite amazing since all those photographs must require extensive storage resources.

Further, photo.net contains many good articles of interest to photographers, such as which labs are the best. Again, members can (and do) post comments at the bottom of each article.

If you are into photography, check it out: You'll feel in seventh heaven. The URL is http://www.photo.net/.

To add to the exiting writeups, photo.net is one of the earlier web-based communities on the net. It was founded in 1995 by MIT computer science professor Philip Greenspun. He later used photo.net as the basis for a consulting company he founded, ArsDigita, which implements similiar community systems for about $750,000 a pop. The basic software development kit of photo.net, known as ACS (a tcl/tk layer running on netscape server with an oracle db) is now open source, so you can roll your own for a lot less money.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.