compiled overview of the 90 ton Emperor 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



When the SLDF High Command wanted a new assault 'Mech incorporating all the latest chrome, they secretly solicited proposals from several BattleMech manufacturers. The SLDF High Command liked what they saw in StarCorps Industries' Emperor design and awarded the company a contract.

The lightweight new XL engine lay at the heart of the new design, allowing the StarCorps design team to place additional components on the Emperor that would otherwise have made the 'Mech too heavy. First, they added double-strength heat sinks that enabled the Emperor to dissipate large amounts of heat quickly. The designers also gave the Emperor two state-of-the-art Imperator Code Red LB10-X Autocannons and two tons of ammunition for each. When loaded with special cluster rounds, the autocannons are extremely deadly against aerospace fighters.

Backing up the autocannon duo is an impressive array of energy weapons; two Magna Mk III Large Lasers, two Defiance P5M Medium Pulse Lasers and a standard Phototech 806c Medium Laser. To give the Emperor more maneuverability, the design team installed Pitban LFT-50 jump jets. The Emperor also boasts an impressive seventeen and a half tons of heavy armor covering the Emperor's frame. For the brutal close-in fighting that often occurs in cities, the Emperor is equipped with two hand actuators.

The Lyran Alliance and the St. Ives Compact have deployed several lances of Emperors since it's first appearance in 2502. The Capellan Confederation owns several but has yet to deploy them despite its desperate need for front-line assault 'Mechs. According to rumor, Chancellor Sun-Tzu Liao is displeased with McCarron's Trading Company, builders of the Emperor on Menke, allegedly because all Emperors produced so far have ended up in McCarron's Armored Cavalry. The St. Ives Compact recently announced its decision to sell Emperors to the Federated Commonwealth, and StarCorps Industries plants in the Lyran Alliance intend to sell a few Emperors to Alliance-affiliated mercenary units.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.
The cosmic forces driving me
More noble, more free
Love and hate and all in between
I greet them all in ecstasy

From the song "Ensorcelled by Rhaos" by Emperor

Emperor is one hell of a black metal band. Let's talk Norwegian metal history: In the mid-90's, the band Mayhem were known widely as the kings of the violent metal scene. However, most of the critical attention went to Emperor. Their musical innovations had more impact on black metal than others could even dream. A lot of bands used metal as a cannon to fire off their anti-Christian whining. I think that Emperor has used it as it should be; as a great way to express some music. Yes, the music is pretty darned violent with furiosity, but you can really hear an influence from those haunting Norwegian folk melodies that really creep people out.

I think it is important to point out that Emperor are not a Satanic band. Yes, their lyrics focus around death and about as much Pagan worship as a person can handle without buying new black boots with silver buckles, but never have I heard them mention Satan or God (the Christian God, that is), or anything that the punk-ass Satan bands do. I've read some articles that call their kind of music "Viking metal", I guess because of the pre-Christian influence of Scandinavian culture.

I want to talk about who is in the band. This is going to be confusing, as the lineup has changed a lot over the past decade. Originally, they were:


The three of them recorded the band's first demo in late 1992. It was called Wrath of the Tyrant. They soon added a member, Faust, as a percussionist and Samoth switched to guitarist. The new foursome recorded a split EP with a band called "Enslaved" titled Hordanes Land. After this recording (and this is kinda weird), Mortiis was forced to leave the band, and the country, for undisclosed reasons. He moved to Sweden to make a go at a solo career, often appearing dressed up as an elf.

The band recruited bassist Tchort to replace Mortiis, and recorded their full-length debut album, In the Nightside Eclipse. Everyone loved it; they earned great critical acclaim and a large group of darkly-clothed, long-haired, pale-faced followers upon its release in '94. However, at almost the same time, Samoth was convicted of arson after a delightful church burning, and Tchort was arrested for theft, assault with a knife, and desecration. Also, Faust was put away for arson, burglary, and murder, stabbing a gay friend fourteen times for making a pass at him in Olympic Park in Lillehammer. Here's our lineup now:

  • Samoth - Church-burner
  • Tchort - Armed robber
  • Faust - Homophobic psycho
  • Mortiis - Solo elven refugee in Sweden
  • Ihsahn - vocal/guitar/keyboard

So, Ihsahn waited until Samoth's parole, when Emperor reformed with a new bassist, Alver, and the new drummer and former Enslaved member, Trym. Together, they recorded two albums, Reverence and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. Then, Alver left the band, leaving the rest to pick up spare members Tyr and Charmand Grimloch to fill the holes left by deserters and convicts. They released IX Equilibrium in 1999, and their first concert recording, Emperial Live Ceremony a year later.

Discography:

Em"per*or (?), n. [OF. empereor, empereour, F. empereur, L. imperator, fr. imperare to command; in in + parare to prepare, order. See Parade, and cf. Imperative, Empress.]

The sovereign or supreme monarch of an empire; -- a title of dignity superior to that of king; as, the emperor of Germany or of Austria; the emperor or Czar of Russia.

Emperor goose Zool., a large and handsome goose (Philacte canagica), found in Alaska. -- Emperor moth Zool., one of several large and beautiful bombycid moths, with transparent spots on the wings; as the American Cecropia moth (Platysamia cecropia), and the European species (Saturnia pavonia). -- Emperor paper. See under Paper. -- Purple emperor Zool., a large, strong British butterfly (Apatura iris).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.