"Drugs" is a class of substances typically isolated from a plant or synthesized. Not only psychoactive chemicals such as heroin, amphetamines, caffeine, alcohol and cocaine, but also less noxious substances as decongestants and antibiotics. These substances are typically ingested in order to bring about interesting changes in one's state of consciousness, or, in less enjoyable circumstances, out of habituation or to lessen physical symptoms of illness.

"There were, in his opinion, drugs that diminished ego and drugs that engorged ego, which is to say, revelatory drugs and delusory drugs; and on a psychic level, at least, he favored awe over swagger..."



-Tom Robbins-
--Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates--


"Participate in your own manipulation."



1,4-Butanediol
2CB
A
absinthe
acetophenetidin
acid
adderall
Adrenalin
adrenaline
alcohol
Aleve
alprazolam
amanita
amobarbital
amphetamines
AMT
Amytal
Anacin
analgesic
anxiolytic
aspartame
aspirin
Aventyl
Ativan
ayahuasca
B
barbital
barbiturate
belladonna
Benzedrine
Benzocaine
benzodiazepine
blue heaven
bromal
C
caffeine
cannabis
carbamazepine
catnip
chlorpromazine
clonazepam
clorazepate
cocaine
codeine
cortisone
crack
crystal meth
D
datura
demerol
depressant
desipramine
Dexamyl
Dexedrine
dextroamphetamine
dextromethorphan
diacetylmorphine
diazepam
Digoxin
Dilantin
Dilaudid
dimethyltryptamine
dipropyltryptamine
DMT
dopamine reuptake inhibitor
doxepin
DPT
DXM
E
ecstasy
Effexor
entheogen
ephedrine
ephinephrine
ethanol
ether
ethosuximide
F
flunitrazepam
flurazepam
G
GHB
the good drug guide
goofballs
H
halazepam
Halcion
harmine
heroin
hypnotic
I
ibogaine
imipramine
J
K
kava
ketamine
Klonopin
L
lamictal
lidocaine
lorazepam
lsd
Ludiomil
M
marijuana
MDA
MDEA
MDMA
menthantheline
meprobamate
mescaline
meth
methamphetamines
methadone
methaqualone
methcathinone
methylphenidate
morphine
N
narcotic
nicotine
nitrous oxide
nortriptyline
nutmeg
O
obecalp
Olanzapine
opium
opium tea
oxazepam
P
Pancrease
papaverine
Paroxetine
Paxil
PCP
penicillin
pep pill
peyote
peyote Lophophora
phenacetin
phencyclidine
phenothiazine
phenylalanine
phenytoin
poppers
pot
procaine
Prozac
Pseudoephedrine
psilocybin
psilocybe cubenis/mexicana
psychotrope
Q
Quaalude
R
Remeron
Ritalin
rufies
S
salvia
Salvia Divinorum
San Pedro Cactus
Seconal
Sedamine
sedatives
serotonin reuptake inhibitor
Serzone
shrooms
Soma
steroids
spice melange
stimulant
T
Temazepam
terfenadine thc
Thorazine
tobacco
tranquilizer
trimethadione
tryptamine
Tuinal
Tylenol
U
V
Valium
Versed
Vioxx
W
X
Xanax
Y
yage
yopa
Z
Zoloft
Zopiclone
Zyprexa


An old rant of mine from elsewhere:

There is no such thing as drugs anyway. Any statement about "drugs" should be regarded with great suspicion, if not scorn. Do drugs make you feel good? Some do, some don’t. Are drugs dangerous? Some are, some not. Are drugs addictive? Some are, some not.

Drugs range from natural substances that have been used for 10 000 years or more, to synthetics invented recently. Highly addictive to non-addictive. Micrograms to grams. Uppers to downers, openers to closers, calmers to aggressors, Sensory enhancers to sensory deprivation, legal and illegal.

Every molecule is a unique way of looking at the world, calling them all "drugs" means less than nothing - it actually robs you of understanding. The only thing that illegal drugs all have in common is that they are illegal.

Drugs, frankly, have really improved my life. I heard the warnings like everyone else--the D.A.R.E. officer visited my school and demonstrated to me and my classmates that drugs were really uncool, and they can mess up your life, etc etc. And, at the time, I really believed it--I was little Johnny-never-smoke-a-joint in 6th grade, coloring in my Winner's Don't Do Drugs poster in Crayola red white and blue.

But things aren't just simple and black and white like that--it only seems that way when you're a kid. Really, issues are much more complex, and part of growing up is recognizing this. If little kids could deal with all the complexity of issues and choices in the modern world, it'd be ok to let them drink and watch the Playboy channel. Teaching little kids not to use drugs is like teaching a blind man the color red is evil--they don't have a clue.

Really, it's just a matter of being socially acceptable. Objectively speaking, alcohol is a drug, but it is so common and normal that nobody really thinks of this. Notice everybody always says "drugs and alcohol?" Well, they are the same thing--it's just a substance that happens to be arbitrarily legal.

So I can now admit that I USED to have a real problem socializing. I just didn't have what it took to really be myself with a group of people, so I'd usually just go along with what they were doing, and it was never that great. They were my friends, but I never really felt like we had much in common, like we never really connected. My time with heroin was like a shotgun blast to the brain.

Suddenly, I was connected to a group of people in a way I didn't know was possible. Today, we have the entire Internet, AIM chat, pagers, cell phones, email, everything...and people still don't feel like they ever really TALK to anybody, not in a way that matters. Everybody is lonely. And it's a little scary at first, what with all the social taboos, but I've found that drugs allow you to overcome that boundary that everybody in modern society seems to feel--I've never been so close to people in my life. It's that sense of connectedness and love that most people just never find.

Thank god I had this realization, though--I thought things were bad before, but it seems like I was just in time to watch the world go to hell around me. Even the people I thought were bad before are becoming more and more distant, like everyone has their volume turned down. As I spend more and more time with the people who actually like me, I realize what a cold and hateful place the world really is, and I see how it gets darker and more repulsive every day. I think I made it out just in time.

The truth is, people just want to be happy. That's what it boils down to--if you dig deep enough that's what motivates all those people who want money or power or love or whatever. They want happiness and pleasure--they just don't have the guts to take the leap and see what all their restrictive laws have insulated them from. They'd rather be spoon fed the same old imitation--they can't deal with reality as it really is, they need to feel safe and have someone else tell them what should make them feel good.

Me, my eyes are wide open.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.