TWO is the first of the female numbers. Mind you, femaleness in numerology (and symbology in general) signifies wickedness and a general sense of evil. This probably has something to do with Eve, but in the strictly numbers sense, it is because two is the first split from the unity of one. Two is, literally, the Devil and the fall from grace.

For clarification, all even numbers are female and all odd numbers are male in numerology. Not all the even numbers are bad signs; that depends on how they relate to the rest of the numbers.

Two, however, is pretty fucking evil. It is the number of the Devil; the opposite of Unity and God. Doing things twice was often considered bad luck. The characteristics allotted to "two people" are strictly feminine ones: Softness, sweetness, persuasion, deceit, and seduction, as well as general passivity. Keep in mind, though, two is as necessary to the Universe as one and three...
Two is the number which dominates the world in which we live.

Two is the number of bilateral symmetry, which humans loosely posess. Two nostrils, eyes, ears, hemispheres of the brain, arms, legs, lungs, kidneys, testicles or ovaries.

Two is (usually) the number of people involved in procreative sex, the mechanism which perpetuates our species.

Two is the number of bifurcation of species, one of the processes of evolution. One species undergoes a genetic mutation, and then is another species, while the old species remains.

Two is the number of coordinates by which we describe locations on the earth. Longitude and latitude tell us, in spherical coordinates, where we are on the relatively constant radius of the earth's surface.

Two is the number of binary systems. Not only computers, but our classical world view depends on the dualities of Good or Evil, Right or Wrong, On or Off, Win or Lose. Judeo-Christian Religion, classical science, and fascism all depend on a binary world to operate.

Two is the number of duality, of human consciousness, the separation of the self from God and the rest of the universe. Cogito, ergo sum necessitates this dualistic consciousness. If there is the need to identify the self, then there is a tacit acknowledgement of something else.

Two is not an evil number in all systems of numerology, as pairings or opposites are not evil in all systems of mythology.

There are (unsurprisingly) two kinds of pairings represented by the number two. As PureDoxyk suggests, one of these is the God/Satan or spirit/matter pairing, which in the study of religion is called a ditheism or dualism. Dualism was introduced into religious thought by Zoroaster, and continues today in popular Christianity.

However, two also stands for the pairing of God and Goddess, which is known as polarity. A polarity, unlike a dualism, is fertile, and thus this sort of two quickly gives rise to three or even four. However, it might be polite to let these two alone for a while to enjoy one another before we demand that they start having kids, okay?


For that matter, in one sense, it is not two but one that is the first "split from unity", for zero, the Void, can represent a more profound unity even than one.

KANJI: NI JI futa (two)

ASCII Art Representation:

 
 

                                     ,%%,
      "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
       "
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                           ,%%,
"%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 "
 

Character Etymology:

Two extended fingers of a hand showing the count of two.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: NI JI
kun-yomi: futa futa(tsu) futata(bi)

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: oto tsugu nii ha fu futatsu fuda wa

English Definitions:

  1. NI: two; second.
  2. JI, futa(tsu), fu, fuu, futa: two.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 72
Henshall: 61

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(nigatsu): February.
(futsuka): second day (of the month).
(futate): two groups, two bands.
(futari): two people.

  Previous: soil  |  The Japanese Kanji Metanode  |  Next: sun

Two is a delightful play written by Jim Cartwright, author of Road, Bed, and Rise and Fall of Little Voice. The play is written to be performed by two actors, as it consists of only monologues and dualogues.

It was first performed at the Bolton Octagon on 23 August 1989, with Sue Johnston and John McArdle playing all the roles.

The play is set in a pub and focuses on the patrons of the pub.The set consists of a bar, and tables and chairs, but all glasses, pumps, till, optics etc., being mimed, as are all the other people in the pub.

The piece deals with the diverse forms of love, as it explores illicit, interdependant, flawed, successful, and crumbling relationships. All characters are archetypes to show how basic relationships are.

Characters
Landlord and Landlady
The 'landlord and Landlady' hold the piece together as we discover the crumbling relationship between them after the death of their son.

Old Woman
'Old Woman' is a monologue which is how the old woman is trapped in the relationship with her dependant husband. It creates the theme of duty to your love one - "till death us do part".

Moth and Maudie
'Moth and Maudie' is about about commitment because Moth has a roving eye. Not that anyone will have him apart from Maudie but a wandering eye none the less. He is scared to commit to her, and only does when she actually makes him at the end of the dualogue.

Old Man
'Old Man' is a monologue about someone who has lost their wife. It begs the rhetorical question "Does a part of us die when our partner does?" The love that he has lives on through memories. A successful, eternal love.

Mr and Mrs Iger
'Mr and Mrs Iger' is about an unbalanced relationship. Mrs Iger is an overbearing wife who talks of how she loves big men but in actuality her husband is a weedy little man that she likes to tend to and fuss over. It is flawed love.

Lesley and Roy
'Lesley and Roy' is a crumbling form of love as Roy is a wife beater. The only reason that Lesley stays with Roy is because she is scared of him.

Fred and Alice
'Fred and Alice' are social outcasts that have been thrown together by society. They are trully in love and have uncompremising love. The have cultivated their own alienation.

Woman
'Woman' is 'the other woman'. She is having an affair and has come to the pub to give her man an ultimatum. Illicit love or 'forbidden love'.

Boy
'Boy' is used as the spark of the revelation as to why the Landlord and Landlady's relationship is so bad. It is used for demonstrations of maternal and paternal love.

Due to all the characters being archetypes the audience find it easy to relate to the piece. We all know someone like at least one of the characters. It also makes the audience think "what form of relationship is the one that I have got?" It is a suprisingly incisive commentary on life. Something to make you think.

"Two" is the first episode of the third season of "The Twilight Zone", and was first broadcast in September of 1961. It starred Charles Bronson as an unnamed man, and Elizabeth Montgomery as an unnamed woman, with no other actors. This is one of the Twilight Zone episodes where both of the actors are household names, although at the time of broadcast, Bronson and Montgomery were not yet famous.

Much like the pilot episodes of the first two seasons of The Twilight Zone, the episode begins with a lone military serviceperson (in this case, Montgomery's "Woman") exploring a deserted location, with both the character and the viewer unaware of the circumstances, other than it being in a ruined town in the distant future. As she explores the town, Bronson's "Man" comes across her. The two are apparently soldiers of two fallen empires, hunting through a ruined city, looking for food and shelter. How long ago the war was, who it was between, and all other details are not revealed, (although it is hinted that it was a superpower conflict between the United States and USSR), only that it left the survivors exhausted and scattered. Over the episode, what looked to be a war story turns into a love story, as "Man" and "Woman" put aside their differences and learn to work together.

This was a simple story, and after the first few scenes, a predictable story, but it was well told and well acted. There is little dialogue, but Bronson and Montgomery manage to communicate their feelings through gesture and action. It was also, in terms of production values, well-done. The destroyed town was portrayed well enough that modern viewers are not required to suspend disbelief. Seeing this makes me wonder what The Twilight Zone would be like with modern production values. Also, it seems to suggest a slight turn in the thematics of The Twilight Zone as it enters its third season: while many episodes in the first two seasons focused on the intrusion of the eerie into people's normal lives, this is more of a straight Science Fiction story. From what I have seen of the third season so far, it seems that science fiction stories that focus on political and military conflict may be more of a theme.

Two (?), a. [OE. two, twa, properly fem. & neut., twei, twein, tweien, properly masc. (whence E. twain), AS. twa, fem. & neut., twgen, masc., t, neut.; akin to OFries. twne, masc., twa, fem. & neut., OS. twne, masc., twa, fem., tw, neut., D. twee, OHG. zwne, zw, zwei, G. zwei, Icel. tveir, tvaer, tvau, Sw. tv�x86;, Dan. to, Goth. twai, tws, twa; Lith. du, Russ. dva, Ir. & Gael. da, W. dau, dwy, L. duo, Gr. , Skr. dva. . Cf. Balance, Barouche, Between, Bi-, Combine, Deuce two in cards, Double, Doubt, Dozen, Dual, Duet, Dyad, Twain, Twelve, Twenty, Twice, Twilight, Twig, Twine, n., Twist.]

One and one; twice one.

"Two great lights." Gen. i. 16. "Two black clouds."

Milton.

Two is often joined with other words, forming compounds signifying divided into, consisting of, or having, two parts, divisions, organs, or the like; as two-bladed, two-celled, two-eared, two-flowered, twohand, two-headed, two-horse, two-leafed or two-leaved, two-legged, two-lobed, two-masted, two-named, two-part, two-petaled, two-pronged, two-seeded, two-sided, two-story, two-stringed, two-foothed, two-valved, two-winged, and the like.

One or two, a phrase often used indefinitely for a small number.

 

© Webster 1913.


Two (?), n.

1.

The sum of one; the number next greater than one, and next less than three; two units or objects.

2.

A symbol representing two units, as 2, II., or ii.

In two, asunder; into parts; in halves; in twain; as, cut in two.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.