Mabon (a.k.a. the Witches' Thanksgiving, Second Harvest, et cetera)

(Autumn Equinox--on or around September 21)

Mabon is a Pagan Sabbat: a holiday celebrated by Wiccans, Witches and many others whose religions fall under the umbrella of Earth spirituality and Paganism. It is the second main harvest.


Mabon lore:

Now the God is preparing to leave His body. He knows He is dying and it is all right because soon enough He will be reunited with His bride once again. The Goddess prepares to grow weak as the Earth will freeze over when Winter arrives. This is the Witches' Thanksgiving.


Mabon sentiments:

The harvest is completed by Mabon. This is a time for reflection over the past year and giving thanks for what has come of it. All year long, literal and figurative plantings have been going on and have finally been harvested; there is a lot of thought about how it went. This holiday is for the preparation of the "season of sleep," and for introspection, and understanding our dark and wise side. We think of sacrifices others have made for us and what we can sacrifice for others. Mysteries and unknowns are pondered.


Mabon practices:

As Mabon is the time of the harvest and a time for meditation and thankfulness, it is a good time to make wine. Lots of people like making wine for Mabon because it uses harvested foods and is symbolic of the fruits of the year. Plus a lot of it is probably going to be packed away and fermented, much like we are packing ourselves away and thinking over what has happened. Some like to call the spirits of their totem animals for help in inner searching. Meditation rituals are very common for Mabon. Some people use this time to visit their friends' and relatives' graves and give them flowers.


The Mabon season:

Some Mabon recipes:

Check out other Sabbats:

Samhain¤Yule¤Imbolc¤Ostara¤Beltane¤Litha¤Lughnasadh

Mabon: MAH-bon
Welsh: mab son, young man, youth (n.)

1. "Divine Son" referring to the god Mabon ap Modron, cognate of Maponos.

The naming of the autumn equinox with "Mabon" is the invention of Aidan Kelly in the 1970s; he thought it sounded "ancient." He also apparently decided to call the summer solstice "Litha", but at least that has some basis in the old English calendar outlined by Bede. There is no literary or historical connection between Mabon ap Modron/Maponos and the autumn equinox.

Mabon Roast Pork

3-5 lb. Boneless Pork Roast 3 medium apples (any variety, I use galas) handful of fresh sage (or 2 tablespoons of rubbed sage) 1/4 cup apple cider

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place roast center in the roasting pan. Place sage leaves over the top of roast in a single layer. Slicing the apples- place the apple on its side cutting in 1/4-inch slices. Cutting the apple side to side produces a 5-pointed star. Place the apple slices over the top of the roast and along the sides. Pour apple cider around the bottom of the pan. Roast covered for 30 minutes per pound. Internal temperature should be 170 degrees. This roast can be complemented by a variety of other Mabon dishes. Tips- Before I begin my roast I like to do a blessing and give thanks to the animal that gave its life so I may find nourishment, and thank our Mother for a wonderful harvest. It's not necessary, but I feel it's respectful.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.