All forms of shortbread are traditional in wintertime; these sorts of dry confections are best eaten with nice hot drinks such as wassail and cocoa. Also, recipes with cornmeal in them tend to enhance the inherent simplicity of home-baked desserts. Therefore, I submit for seasonal bakers' approval a recipe that combines shortbread with cornmeal to make this nice simple after-dinner treat to enjoy during the dark days of winter. It's a nice change from the usually heavy and sweet foods that usually weigh down the table this time of year! This can also be served on a harvest table anytime in early to mid fall.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Grease a 9-inch fluted tart pan or a shortbread mold. Stir together the flour and cornmeal. In another bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt on medium high until combined. Add the flour mix and beat. Put the dough into the pan and score into 12 wedges. Prick each piece with a fork three times, all the way through. (If you're using a shortbread mold, don't do this step.) Bake at 325ยบ F for 25-30 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes.

Yield: 12 wedges
Source: Paraphrased from Better Homes and Gardens, Christmas Cookies
Use for: Yule, Lughnasadh, Mabon

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.