SAGE, n., <sage>

SAGE is USENIX's system administrator sub-organization. It stands for "System Administrator's Guild." I assume that they use "SAGE" instead of the proper acronym, because "SAG" just wouldn't be nearly as sexy.

SAGE publishes handy brochures, booklets, and pamphlets discussing various topics important to system administrators such as hiring issues, ethics, and legal issues. SAGE also has a salary survey and other things of import to system administrators. In a nutshell, SAGE is an organization for and by system administrators.

The website for this organization is: http://www.usenix.org./sage

A pungent herb belonging to the genus salvia, native to the Mediterranean. It has long slender leaves that are a grey/green colour in the common variety Salvia officinalis. Other varieties have different colouration. Pineapple sage Salvia rutilans, has a strong pineapple scent and red flowers, while red sage Salvia purpurea as you would imagine has red foliage.

Sage has been esteemed for its health giving properties since Roman times and indeed, its genus name comes for the Latin for health.

A strong association with game meats and stuffings comes from the British, but Italians also revere this herb in the kitchen. They will use it to garnish many dishes when fried, such as in burnt butter while the classic vegetable base soffritto, which is generally onions, carrots and celery fried in olive oil, often contains sage.

Sage - Salvia officinalis

Sage is a shrubby perennial plant which is commonly cultivated as a kitchen herb. It has a square stem with fine hairs, and which is quite woody at the base. The downy leaves are oblong in shape. The plant flowers in June and July.

Sage is antihydrotic, antispasmodic and astringent. It is best known for the reduction of perspiration, which takes effect about 2 hours after taking a tea or tincture and lasts up to several days. The tea can also be used to stop the flow of breast milk after weaning. It can be used to treat nervous conditions, trembling, depression and vertigo. It is also useful for diarrhea, gastritis and enteritits. An infusion when used as a gargle can treat sore throats, laryngitis and tonsilitis. Taken internally, it will reduce mucous congestion in the respiratory passages and the stomach. The fresh crushed leaves are a treatment for insect bites.

Extended or excessive use of this herb can cause symptoms of poisoning. Sage should not be taken during pregnancy.

In many internet forums, posting a reply to a thread will make that thread pop to the top of the page. This allows people to see the most active, most recently posted to threads first.

If you want to post a reply to a thread but do not want the thread to be bumped to the top, some forums will allow you to type "sage" into the e-mail field, letting you to post without bumping the thread. This allows minor comments to pass unseen, and also keeps trolls from seeing the thread thrust to the forefront too often.

The word sage comes from a Japanese word, sageru, which means to 'move down'. While in Japanese forums this is in common use, in American forums sage has come to mean something slightly different. On sites like 4chan and 7chan, sage is used like a down vote. Posting sage is an insult, or a vote against whatever was posted above. This probably started because people complaining about a thread did not want to bump it up, and so used sage. After a while, the complaint left out completely, and just the simple word sage gave the vote of disapproval. On some forums, lots of sage comments can also lower a thread's future ability to be bumped up.

This can be confusing to a newbie, as calling someone a sage is, in English, more likely to be a complement to one's wisdom rather than an insult.

Sage (?), n. [OE. sauge, F. sauge, L. salvia, from salvus saved, in allusion to its reputed healing virtues. See Safe.] Bot.

  1. A suffriticose labiate plant (Salvia officinalis) with grayish green foliage, much used in flavoring meats, etc. The name is often extended to the whole genus, of which many species are cultivated for ornament, as the scarlet sage, and Mexican red and blue sage.
  2. The sagebrush.

Meadow sage Bot., a blue-flowered species of salvia (S. pratensis) growing in meadows in Europe. -- Sage cheese, cheese flavored with sage, and colored green by the juice of leaves of spanish and other plants which are added to the milk. -- Sage cock Zool., the male of the sage grouse; in a more general sense, the specific name of the sage grouse. -- Sage green, of a dull grayish green color, like the leaves of garden sage. -- Sage grouse Zool., a very large American grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus), native of the dry sagebrush plains of Western North America. Called also cock of the plains. The male is called sage cock, and the female sage hen. -- Sage hare, or Sage rabbit Zool., a species of hare (Lepus Nuttalli, or artemisia) which inhabits the regions of Western North America and lives among sagebrush. By recent writers it is considered to be merely a variety of the common cottontail, or wood rabbit. -- Sage hen Zool., the female of the sage grouse. Sage sparrow Zool., a small sparrow (Amphispiza Belli, var Nevadensis) which inhabits the dry plains of the Rocky Mountain region, living among sagebrush. -- Sage thrasher Zool., a singing bird (Oroscoptes montanus) which inhabits the sagebrush plains of Western North America. -- Sage willow Bot., a species of willow (Salix tristis) forming a low bush with nearly sessile grayish green leaves.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sage (?), a. [Compar. Sager (?); superl. Sagest.] [F., fr. L. sapius (only in nesapius unwise, foolish), fr. sapere to be wise; perhaps akin to E. sap. Cf. Savor, Sapient, Insipid.]

1.

Having nice discernment and powers of judging; prudent; grave; sagacious.

All you sage counselors, hence!
Shak.

2.

Proceeding from wisdom; well judged; shrewd; well adapted to the purpose.

Commanders, who, cloaking their fear under show of sage advice, counseled the general to retreat.
Milton.

3.

Grave; serious; solemn.

[R.] "[Great bards.] in sage and solemn tunes have sung." Milton. <-- the "great bards" was moved inside the quote for consistency. -->

Syn. -- Wise; sagacious; sapient; grave; prudent; judicious.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sage, n.

A wise man; a man of gravity and wisdom; especially, a man venerable for years, and of sound judgment and prudence; a grave philosopher.

At his birth a star,
Unseen before in heaven, proclaims him come,
And guides the Eastern sages.
Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.