Venerable members of this group:

mauler@+, BrooksMarlin, Davidian, briglass, borgo, lovejoyman, hashbrownie, PTBee, baritalia, LiarXAgerate, RMSzero, gpb
This group of 12 members is led by mauler@+

Pete Sampras is perhaps the most dominating male tennis player this decade. He is often overshadowed by Andre Agassi, who is by all rights a very good tennis player. Just as Anna Kournikova dominates the female circuit in terms of press coverage, Agassi hogs the male circuit (now overtaken by Patrick Rafter). Sampras is quiet and does not seek publicity, but that doesn't stop him from wrecking his opponents on the court.

A man of Greek descent, he joined the pro tour at the age of 16 in 1988, and rapidly climbed the tennis ladder, winning the US Open in 1990, making him the youngest person ever to do so. By 1993, he was ranked first in the world, winning both Wimbledon and the US Open. For the next 6 years, he never left the #1 ranking, racking up 10 Grand Slam championships. In 1999 he was knocked off the throne due to injuries, but he still managed to win several championships. To date, he has won 61 titles in his career, and 5 ATP Tour World Championships. In the process, he won over $35 million in prize money alone.

His style is serve and volley, and he excels at it. His serve has been called "the best serve in tennis ever", and it shows. Not the fastest (his record serve was 136 MPH), but its placement is by far the most accurate in the world. Even if his opponents manage to reach the ball, chances are by then he has already rushed the net to volley the ball the other way. He can also hold his own on the baseline, unlike some serve and volley players. That makes him all but unbeatable on grass courts.

He is also very polite, unlike mavericks such as John McEnroe. He possesses unparalled sportsmanship, never argues with the ref, never throws his racquet in anger. Which is more than what I can say for most athletes today.

"Philadelphia is a great, passionate football town. People ask me about the fans and the media here, and I tell them the truth: I love it that people care so much about the Eagles."
-Andy Reid, present head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles

A Philly fan is someone who is a follower of one, some or all of the sports teams in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. These teams include the Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Flyers and Philadelphia 76ers. A Philly fan will most probably also root for the Pennsylvania State University Nittany Lions and/or the Temple Owls. Philly fans are known to especially hate the Dallas Cowboys as well as the other NFC East rivals. Philly tv stations have ran ads asking Philadelphians to not embarass themselves by murdering visiting fans!



Quotes from and about Philly fans:
"If we didn't care, we wouldn't boo."

"I have been a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles since birth. I am not a bandwagon type guy, and I don't like stinkin' bandwagon fans. I know there are some folks out there somewhere who keep that collection of 49ers, Cowboys, Bills, and Steelers jerseys hanging in the closet, just so they can wear the jersey of whatever team is hot at the time. In good times and bad, EAGLES FANS are as loyal as they come!
-John Russ, Philadelphia sports fan

"If people from other cities are stupid enough to come to Philadelphia to root for their football team, then they are stupid enough to be beaten up."
-Nicole, Philadelphia horse & buggy driver

"I know Philly fans have a bad rap for being cruel. Some fans do boo Santa Claus. Let me set the record straight. Not all of us boo Santa. I myself love Santa and he knows who has been naughty or nice. We Philly fans are loyal. Even through the bad times, and there have been many, we always stand behind our teams."
-Jaimie Older

"You like the opponent? Run for your life. This is Philly, not Rodeo Drive. We love our teams here like family. You mess with them you mess with us."
-Tawanda Fox, North Philadelphia

"Phillies fans would boo a wake"
-Joe Dugan

"If you're not wearing the right jersey, you're guaranteed to get beat up”
-Michael Zellman

"We are loud. We are dedicated. We demand the best from out teams. We are the best sports fans in the country. We are Philadelphia fans."
-Professor I

"Eagles fans, hell, all Philly sports fans, are looked at as the equivalent to international soccer fans!! And frankly, I just don't get it. Is there something wrong with having passion for the team you root for? Is it wrong to expect a bunch of overpaid and often spoiled athletes to work as hard at their job as we do at ours? I don't think so! So we boo when they underachieve, throw snowballs at Santa Claus, or give a well-deserved ass whoopin' to opposing teams' fans when they get out of line. At least were not Raiders' fans, stabbing and urinating on them. Then again, maybe we should, nobody seems to give a damn about that. Go figure."
-RoseCityEagle, Seattle, WA via www.concretefield.com

"the 700 level at the Vet is NOT for families, wives kids etc. i advise families to sit in the 400 or 500 level."
-anonymous 700 level season ticket holder since 1990

"Some of these people would boo the crack in the Liberty Bell"
-Pete Rose

"You can't blame them, they pay $55, $60 a ticket, and they have the right to voice their unhappiness."
-Brian Mitchell, Eagles running back & kick returner

"The Philly fans, everybody gets after them in terms of being the nastiest in the NFL. But I wish our fans in Dallas were like that at times. I wish they were as feisty and as nasty as Philadelphia's fans are."
-Darren Woodson, Dallas Cowboys strong safety

"Remember, you're coming here for these coaches. Don't come here for these fans. Because I hate these fans. I've been here all my life and I hate them all."
-John Chaney, Temple basketball coach speaking to a prospective player John Runyan for the Eagles

"Philly fans are great. Everybody complains about them being the meanest. That may be true. But, at the same time, they're great because it does get you into the game. They love their teams. I can respect that about them. They know their sports and they love their teams and they come out and support them every week, good or bad. It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger."
-Michael Strahan, New York Giants defensive linesman

You know what they do when the game's rained out? They go to the airport and boo landings"
-Bob Uecker

"Some people need to grow up and find some inner peace, because there is no peace in watching somebody suffer"
-Emmitt Smith, speaking about Philly fans

"Ron Jaworski told me one time that he had completed like 14 passes in a row, and on the 15th one he had an incompletion and they booed him."
-Randall Cunningham, ex-Eagles quarterback


Philly Phacts
The most hardcore of Philly fans sit in the 700 level and 600 sections of Veteran's Stadium for baseball and football games. They love or love to hate the Phillies' mascot, the Phillie Phanatic and the Eagle's mascot, Swoop. Philly fans are sometimes so rowdy that there is a court outside the stadium where a municipal judge charges offenders.

Says Ken Berger(AP sports writer) "One theory for the fans' behavior is the longtime failure of their teams. The Eagles haven't won an NFL championship since 1960. The 76ers of the NBA had the worst record in league history when they were 9-73 in 1972-73. The Phillies have lost more games than any team in baseball history. They also blew the pennant in 1964, squandering a 61/2-game lead with 12 to play with 10 straight losses in 1964."

Philly fans usually eat things like scrapple, Philadelphia Cheese Steaks, Tastykakes, soft pretzels (purchased from someone on the side of the street), Herr's Potato Chips and wash it down with Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak Soda.


some quotes and facts are taken from:
http://www.mnsinc.com/johnruss
http://www.phillynews.com
http://www.annachao.com
http://bengals.enquirer.com/
http://www.collegian.psu.edu
http://www.heckledepot.com/fanrate.shtml
http://www.ocregister.com
http://www.concretefield.com
http://www.espn.com

"As a basketball player, Julius was the first to truly take the torch and become the spokesman for the NBA. He understood what his role was and how important it was for him to conduct himself as a representative of the league. Julius was the first player I ever remember who transcended sports and was known by one name – Doctor."
-Bill Cunningham

The most famous “doctor” in American history, Julius Erving has the largest fan base out of any NBA player besides Michael Jordan. This appreciation is rightfully earned; no other player has come close to his aesthetic ability. His name is synonymous with the slam-dunk. Dr. J created every specialty dunk one could possibly imagine, becoming the first player to use spins and windmills while in the air. In addition, Erving is father to two of the most memorable shots in NBA history. This flash, combined with his loud afro hairstyle, made him one of the most unique and recognizable players in NBA history.

Early History

Julius Winfield Erving II was born on February 22, 1950, to a middle-class family in Roosevelt, New York. He became the star of Roosevelt High School’s basketball team, where he earned his reputation as a fundamentally sound, if not conservative, player. It was here that Erving would also earn his famous nickname “Dr. J.” The name, although it came to stand for the way Erving would “operate” on the basketball court, was created while joking around with and old high school friend who he called the Professor.

An average student, Erving was accepted to University of Massachusetts in 1968. He would not make varsity for his freshman year, but would enter with a force afterwards. Over his two seasons, Erving averaged 26.3 points and a remarkable 20.2 rebounds a game. Despite his spectacular averages, he was not recruited by any NBA team and was skipped over in the 1971 NBA draft. He left school to play for the ABA’s Virginia Squires instead.

The ABA and Virginia Squires

He averaged 27.3 points a game his rookie year, but the most important result of the season was a boost in Erving’s confidence. On a drive to the basket, contested by rookie of the year Artis Gilmore and Dan Issel, Erving recalls “I went in between both of them and just hung there and waited for them to come down. Then I dunked on them so hard I fell on my back. Just doing that made me confident to go after anyone, anytime, anywhere, without any fear."

Erving contributed early on to the team’s excellent season performance and Virginia’s playoff run. During their first-round playoff series, he averaged 33.3 points a game before they were knocked out by a New York Nets team led by Rick Barry in the Eastern Division Finals. He had finally turned some NBA heads, and was drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks in the first round of the 1972 draft.

Due to legal complications, Erving would never get to play in the NBA that year. He was forced by a court injunction to return to Virginia and the ABA, where he led the league with 31.9 points a game. Now comfortable on the court, Erving became known for his ostentatious playing style. He was selected to the All-ABA first team, where he would remain for four years. Still, Erving was not content playing for a low-profile team in a small market.

The ABA and New York Nets

Prior to the 1973-1974 season, Erving was traded to the ABA’s New York Nets for George Carter, a first round draft pick, and a whole lot of money. The team was unstoppable; they earned the best regular season record in the league and swept through the playoffs, where they defeated the Utah Stars for the championship. Erving led the league in points a game with 27.4, came in third in blocked shots and steals, and was sixth in assists. His excellent versatility earned him the ABA MVP Award, a title he would retain for three years.

The 1975-1976 season would be the last for the ABA. Due to an unusually large numbers of teams collapsing, the league combined into one division. Erving, who had led the league in scoring for his third title, averaged 34.7 points during the ABA championship game against the Denver Nuggets to lead New York to a win and earn himself the MVP title of the playoffs. With the ABA collapsing, the NBA had to find a way to get Erving, who had easily become known as the most exciting player in either league.

The NBA and Philadelphia 76ers

In order to get Erving, the NBA reluctantly absorbed the rest of the ABA too. The New York Nets, Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets, and San Antonio Spurs merged into the NBA, with the rest of the players going into a draft. The Nets would never get to show off their star player, though. Due to a salary dispute, the Nets were forced to sell Erving to the Philadelphia 76ers for three million dollars. Philadelphia easily became the most colorful team in the NBA, with Erving, George McGinnis, and Lloyd B. Free.

In the All-Star game during his first NBA season, Erving put on one of the most spectacular performances in NBA history. He executed his showy dunks over the best players in the league to score 30 points, grab 12 rebounds, and take 4 steals. Without a doubt, Erving had earned the MVP award. This success in a larger market also gave Erving the opportunity to make some more money. He became known for his numerous endorsements and also became one of the first NBA players to have their own shoe. Philadelphia made it to the NBA Finals, where they were dispatched by the greatest Portland Trailblazers team of all team, featuring hall of famer Bill Walton.

Philadelphia added the street-smart Bobby Jones and Maurice Cheeks to their lineup in 1978. Erving also continued his domination with 26.9 points a game and a nomination to the All-NBA First Team, where he would remain for a few years. They played second fiddle, though, to a Washington Bullets team featuring both Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes.

The Baseline Move

In 1980, Erving became one of only two active players (the other being Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) to be named to the NBA 35th Anniversary Team. The Sixers would also make it to the NBA championship, where they faced the Los Angeles Lakers. Although they would lose two in a row after splitting the first four games, Erving had created history. In game four, he performed his jaw-dropping “baseline move,” which is still widely regarded as the best shot ever made.

Erving began by driving past Mark Landsberger along the left baseline, teetering delicately inbounds. Once past, he jumped, with a considerable distance to the basket, for an easy lay up. This plan was foiled by Abdul-Jabbar and his incredible reach, which made a lay up impossible. Erving, who had already started to take the shot, brought the ball back down and just floated behind the backboard to the other side of the net. He somehow defied the laws of physics, moving slightly left in order to flip the ball up and into the basket on the opposite side that he had started on.

"Here I was, trying to win a championship, and my mouth just dropped open. He actually did that. I thought, 'What should we do? Should we take the ball out or should we ask him to do it again?'"Magic Johnson.

Championship and Retirement

Despite missing another NBA title in 1981, the season proved to be Erving’s best. He averaged 24.6 points a game in addition to his 364 assists and 176 steals. It would not be until 1983 that Philadelphia would become a serious contender to the championship. The Sixers had acquired league MVP Moses Malone to compliment Erving’s firepower and Maurice Cheeks’ sleek defense. For the third time in four years, Philadelphia faced off against Los Angeles in the championship game. The game lacked drama, though, when Erving earned his first championship ring in a four-game sweep.

Erving continued to stun both players and fans alike until his retirement in 1987. Philadelphia’s 1986-1987 season became known across the country as the “Julius Erving Farewell Tour.” Fans from every city across the country flocked to stadiums to see Erving play his final games. Erving scored 30,000 points between his ABA and NBA appearances, one of the highest of all time, and was elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1993.

Erving continued his involvement with basketball after his retirement, in addition to other projects. He served as an in-studio analyst for NBC for four years before becoming Executive Vice President of the Orlando Magic on June 4, 1997. Erving also owns a Coca-Cola bottling company in Philadelphia and cable companies in both New York and New Jersey.

Awards and Honors:
Three time ABA MVP
Four time ABA First-team All-Star
Two ABA Championships with New York Nets (1974, 1976)
Two time ABA scoring title (1973, 1974)
NBA MVP (1981)
NBA Championship with Philadelphia 76ers (1983)
Five time All-NBA First team
Eleven time NBA All-Star
Two time All-Star MVP (1977, 1983)
One of only three players to score over 30,000 lifetime points
Most career steals in NBA history upon retirement
NBA 35th Anniversary All-Time Team (1980)
NBA 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996)
Walter J. Kennedy Citizenship Award (1983)
Jackie Robinson Award presented by Ebony Magazine (1983)
American Express Man of the Year (1985)
Inducted into Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1993)

Career Statistics:
Points: 30,026
Points per game: 24.2
Rebounds: 5,601
Rebounds per game: 6.7
Assists: 3,224
Blocked Shots: 1,293
Steals: 1,508
Games played: 1,243


Sources:
www.nba.com
www.hoophall.com
www.achievement.org

Few players are remembered for their shot accuracy as vividly as Bill Sharman is. Sharman helped to define the NBA through his quick, efficient playing and sniper-like accuracy. He was one of the first guards to score above a .400 in field goal percentage in NBA history and still remains possibly the most accurate free-throw shooter of all time with a .883 percentage from the line. His record of seven seasons leading the league in free-throw shooting stands unbroken to this day. Even more remarkable is the fact that he continued to shine as a player while part of arguably the greatest team of all time, winning four championships during his tenure at guard. His coaching history is no less impressive; he won six championships while involved as either coach or manager of the Los Angeles Lakers. If there was one thing Bill Sharman knew how to do, it was win.

One Tough Guy

William Walton Sharman, born May 25, 1926, showed promise as an athlete from a young age at his home in Abilene, Texas. Shortly before high school, he moved to California, where he would earn a solid reputation as a baseball player, basketball player, scholar, and a fighter. Sharman was feared and respected by everyone he met. Jerry West would later recall how Sharman had almost knocked him out in the middle of a game. After shooting and connecting over Sharman’s head a few times, Bill got angry. He took a swing at West, who was only a rookie, while he was shooting. "Bill was tough. I'll tell you this, you did not drive by him. He got into more fights than Mike Tyson. You respected him as a player," West would say after Sharman’s retirement.

After he moved, he was accepted into the University of Southern California in 1946, where he continued to excel. Sharman would become an All-American for basketball and be named the Pacific Coast Most Valuable Player during both his junior and senior years.

As an avid fan of both sports, Sharman was indecisive as to which path to follow. Almost immediately after graduation, he signed a minor league contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers. When the 1950 NBA draft came around a couple months later, Sharman was picked up by the Washington Capitals. Still unable to decide, he pursued both sports until 1955. Sharman hadn’t broke into the major leagues yet and didn’t want to wait any longer. He abandoned baseball and concentrated solely on his blossoming NBA career.

The Sniper

Sharman got off to a decent start playing for the collapsing Capitals with an average of 12.2 points a game. When the team was abandoned after the season’s end, the Fort Wayne Pistons seized the opportunity to take a risk on the young, inexperienced player. Their gamble never paid off, as Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach negotiated a trade deal before the season would begin. Boston would receive both Sharman and Bob Brannum in return for the draft rights to Charlie Share. It proved to be an exceptional move.

After a relatively mediocre first year, Sharman began to shine. He led the league in free-throw percentages with .850 and was fourth in field-goal percentages with .436. His 16.2 points a game were also enough to earn him the sport as the sixth best scorer in the league (although it may not seem high by today’s standards, the absence of a shot-clock violation depressed scoring averages dramatically). Next season, he put up similar numbers, again leading the league in free-throws and also improving his field-goal average to .450, the second best in the league to his teammate Ed Macauley. Both seasons Sharman was named to the All-Star team.

The development of a shot-clock rule magnified Sharman’s role on the team. He used his pinpoint accuracy to save the Celtics with his beautifully long shots. During his third straight All-Star appearance, Sharman earned the MVP award by scoring ten points in the fourth quarter and leading the Eastern Division to a win. An average of 18.4 points per game rounded out Sharman’s résumé.

On Top of the World

During the 1955-1956 season, Sharman came to be recognized as the best guard in basketball when he was named to the All-NBA First Team, where he would remain for four years. He led the Celtics in scoring with 19.9 points a game while continuing to lead the league in free-throw shooting and placing in the top five in both scoring and field-goal percentage. With Sharman and Cousy dominating the backcourt, all Boston needed was a big man and a solid rebounder to become a league power. In 1956 their prayers were answered with the addition of Bill Russell. The new, well-balanced Celtics led the NBA that season with a record of 44-28.

Sharman averaged 21.8 points a game and .903 from the foul line in what many consider his career season before heading to the playoffs. His five years in a row leading the league in foul shots is still untouched. Boston rolled over their former antagonist the Syracuse Nationals without losing a game. In the finals, they were heavily favored against the St. Louis Hawks. The series went to a full seven games, ending with a breathtaking double-overtime affair regarded as one of the most dramatic games in NBA history. Boston won the game, and the NBA championship, with no room to breathe, still fighting in the final seconds.

Energized by his victory, Sharman averaged his career-high 22.3 points a game. His free-throw dynasty, however, came to an end when Dolph Schayes averaged .904 to Sharman’s .893 (he would regain his crown the next year, averaged a career-best .932, second all time best season average). Boston would lose the championship in a rematch against an angry Hawks team. This defeat was the only one Boston would suffer for the following nine years.

Early Coaching Jobs

As Boston continued its winning streak, Sharman faded into the background of the team. He was elected into his final, albeit eighth consecutive, All-Star game in 1960 and would retire from the NBA after another season. Sharman played his last professional basketball games as player-coach of the ABL team the Los Angeles Jets, until the franchise collapsed in the middle of the season.

Although done playing, Sharman was far from through with basketball. He coached the Cleveland Pipers to an ABL championship in 1962, but was never given another shot as the league folded the following season. After relatively short stints as a college coach for Cal State-Los Angeles and a sports broadcaster, Sharman returned to the NBA as head coach of the San Francisco Warriors. The players had no idea what they were in for. Sharman played tough, and he coached even tougher.

Unyielding conditioning and austere discipline were the basis of the Warrior’s training camp. A fine system was developed for any disappointment on the court. Although Sharman seemed unreasonable to many of his players, his system worked. His most significant contribution to the coaching world was the development of what he called a “shootaround.” The shootaround was an easy morning practice the day of the game, used in order to prepare both mentally and physically for the contest. Every NBA team, and most college teams, uses the shootaround in their training schedules today.

A Home in Los Angeles

After two years in San Francisco, Sharman moved to take over coaching duties of the American Basketball Association’s Los Angeles Stars. He was named Coach of the Year during his first season after a 43-41 record. The next year, the Stars, who had meanwhile moved to Utah, won the ABA championship with the odds overwhelmingly against them. Unsatisfied with the ABA, he decided to return to the NBA, where he was offered a job as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Lakers had made it to the championship seven times since 1960, and had lost every time despite a wealth of talent. With Sharman, the tables were about to turn. He exploded into the NBA coaching scene, winning a record 33 straight games early in the season. The Lakers swept through the playoffs with ease and won their first league title since they had moved to California.

The next few seasons were mediocre, with playoff runs that ended too soon. In 1976, Sharman gave up coaching to become the team’s General Manager. With a keen eye for talent, he played an integral part in obtaining Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Irvin “Magic” Johnson. The Lakers won two more championships in 1980 and 1982, largely as a result of Sharman’s influence. He became the club president in 1984, and enjoyed victories in 1985, 1987, and 1988 as the team created the finest dynasty since the Boston Celtics’ dominance that Sharman had contributed to. After the 1988 season he retired for good, but kept his hand in Los Angeles affairs as a special consultant.

"I've been around a lot of coaches but none like him. He's a different type. A remarkable guy. He doesn't miss a thing. He has the ability to get the most out of people. He always sees a bright spot even when things are darkest."
Jerry West

Awards and Honors:
NBA record-holder for most career seasons leading league in free-throw shooting (7)
NBA record-holder for most consecutive seasons leading league in free-throw shooting (5)
Four time NBA Champion with the Boston Celtics
Four time All-NBA First Team
Three time All-NBA Second Team
Eight consecutive years as NBA All-Star
NBA All-Star MVP (1955)
Eight lifetime career championships as coach (6 in the NBA)
NBA 25th Anniversary team (1970)
NBA 50th Anniversary team (1996)
Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1976)

Career Statistics:
Points: 12,665
Points per game: 17.8
Assists: 2,101
Rebounds: 2,779
Field goal percentage: .426
Free throw percentage: .883


Sources:
www.nba.com
www.hoophall.com

I just did it because I loved to play.

There was no way around it; basketball during the early 1950’s had become excruciatingly stagnant. By the time Arizin was drafted by the Philadelphia Warriors, the object of the game was to get a two-point lead and then stall (since no shot clock had been created yet), with teams going to such extreme measures as to literally sit on the ball until they were fouled to kill time. As a result, NBA games were painfully slow and monotonous. It was a rarity for players to average over twenty points a game. It was considered a bad thing, for who knows what reasons, to let your feet leave the ground. The games had no style or pizzazz. The NBA, in danger of becoming obsolete, found the modification it needed in two radical changes in the 1950’s: the shot-clock rule and Paul Arizin.

The Jump Shot

Paul Joseph Arizin was born on April 9, 1928, in South Philadelphia. Surprisingly, after trying out all four years, Arizin never made his high school basketball team, La Salle High School. An optimistic youth, Arizin was determined to continue playing. During his senior year of high school, he was on seven teams at once, all church, intramural, or independent leagues. Two games a night was normal for him, and three was not uncommon. It was during these low-key games that Arizin would master a shot that would revolutionize basketball into the game we know today.

Arizin remembers the first time he ever made a jump shot. It was in the dance hall of a local church, where the ground was slippery because of a recent snowfall. It was all on accident; Arizin slipped off his feet and jumped into the air to avoid smashing his face into the ground. He released while in the air and discovered the ease with which the ball went in the basket. Arizin later commented on his new technique. "It came by accident. Some of our games were played on dance floors. It became quite slippery. When I tried to hook, my feet would go out from under me, so I jumped. I was always a good jumper. My feet weren't on the floor, so I didn't have to worry about slipping. The more I did it, the better I became. Before I knew it, practically all my shots were jump shots." The games would also develop his trademark low trajectory. Many of the venues had dangerously low ceilings. Arizin would jump and fire the ball in almost a straight into the basket; there is little doubt that Arizin had the quickest, most powerful shot in the history of the game.

Rise to Stardom

Although he did not make the basketball team, Arizin was an excellent student and was accepted to Villanova University, where he studied chemistry. He continued to play in his multiple leagues that were now stocked with heavier competition due to the influx of people returning from World War II. By chance, Villanova coach Al Severance saw Arizin play one night. Seriously impressed, he offered Arizin a scholarship to play for the basketball team his sophomore year. At center, Arizin would score a team-high 267 points during his first season of school basketball ever.

During his junior year, Arizin exploded with an average of 22 points per game. He amazed the nation when set a record with 85 points in a single game (only Frank Selvy has scored more against a non-Division I opponent). As a senior, Arizin scored 735 points, only five points short of the national record of 740. His 25.3 points per game average were also the second highest average ever at the time. He led the Wildcats to a 25-4 record, which earned him the honor of both being an All-American and being named the College Player of the Year by The Sporting News. In honor of the finest basketball player they have ever had, Villanova retired his number 11 jersey later that year.

“Pitchin' Paul” Revitalizes the NBA

Arizin was drafted by the Philadelphia Warriors in the NBA draft of 1950. With his 17.5 points and 10 rebounds a game as a forward (you must remember that anything over 12 points a game was considered high at this time), he helped to turn around a slump in Philadelphia and returned them to the top of the Eastern Division. Arizin would have undoubtedly been named Rookie of the Year, but the award was not created until the next season.

During his second year as a pro, Arizin’s impact on the game of basketball was felt around the world. “Pitchin’ Paul” averaged a league-high 25.4 points a game and established himself as one of the top rebounders with 11.3 a game. In a triple overtime game against the Minneapolis Lakers, Arizin played for 63 minutes, a record that stood for forty years. For the second year in a row, Arizin played in the All-Star game, this time earning MVP honors. More important was the change in strategies he brought to the game. Within five years, Arizin’s nigh-unstoppable jump shot became the standard shot of the NBA. A Philadelphia sportswriter would write in awe about how he was "Flicking the ball on the crest of his leap like a man riding an invisible surf, this is Arizin's moment of expression." At only 6’4”, the greatest defenders of the day, including Dolph Schayes and Bob Cousy, seemed like high school players, helpless against his unconventional shooting. The skill and acrobatics involved in both his dribble and his shot mimicked modern day players.

North Korea and an NBA Championship

Arizin was recruited to the Marine Corps to fight in the Korean War before the start of the 1952-1953 season. His presence was sorely missed, with the Warriors posting abysmal records in the two seasons he was gone. Arizin returned, with much celebration, to Philadelphia in 1954. After a two-year reprieve from the game, he had much to prove. Any doubts were put to rest when Arizin averaged 21 points per game, second in the league behind teammate and future hall of famer Neil Johnston. The individual efforts were not enough, however, to earn Philadelphia a spot in the playoffs.

More balance was added to the team the following year. Arizin and Johnston were among the league leaders in scoring with 24.2 and 22.1 points per game, respectively. In addition, teammates Joe Grabowski and Jack George also placed within the top twenty scoring leaders of the league. The 45-27 record they posted was the best in the league. They went on to defeat their long-time rival, the Syracuse Nats, in the Eastern Division finals. The NBA championship was much easier; they massacred the Fort Wayne Pistons four games to one. Arizin had earned the most important honor any NBA player could receive.

With 25.6 points a game, Arizin won his second scoring title the following year an earned a spot on the All-NBA first team. For the rest of his career, Arizin would not drop below 20 points per game and would make every NBA All-Star team. He soon recorded 10,000 career points faster than any player up to that point, and became the third player to break 15,000 points behind Schayes and Cousy. If it were not for his two-year absence, he may have been the first player to break it. After three seasons of placing second in the division behind the Boston Celtics, Arizin retired in 1962 with the third highest amount of points scored in a career. Tired of the heavy competition, he played in the Eastern Basketball League three more years before quitting entirely.

Accomplishments:
Two time All-NBA First Team
Ten-time NBA All Star (every year he played)
NBA All-Star MVP (1953)
NBA Championship with Philadelphia Warriors (1956)
Two time NBA Scoring Title (1952, 1957)
Third all-time highest scorer at retirement
Averaged over 20 points per game every year since his rookie year
25th Anniversary Team (1970)
50th Anniversary Team (1996)
Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1977)

Career Statistics:
Points: 16,266
Points per game: 22.8
Rebounds: 6,129
Rebounds per game: 8.6
Assists: 1,665
Free throw precentage: .810
Field goal percentage: .416

"People ask me to describe how I feel, and I think the easiest way is to put the question back to you. How do you think being enshrined here with all these illustrious names feels to a guy who back in high school was only playing intramural ball?"


Sources:
www.nba.com
www.hoophall.com/halloffamers
www.basketballreference.com