One of two pairs of breakfast cereals created by General Mills in the 70s

First pair (released together, with accompanying advertising blitz on Saturday morning cartoons):

Quake a large animal/monster/guy- think "The Thing" from The Fantastic Four

Quisp a small alien creature.

Second pair

Count Chocula- tasted like chocolate Lucky Charms

Frankenberry- tasted like stale strawberry stuff

all of this reminds me of an old Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin: "Every Saturday morning I get up early, eat four bowls of Super Sugar Bombs and watch five hours of hyperkinetic cartoons."

Hobbes: Does that work for you?

Calvin: Yep, no brothers or sisters so far.

"Quake makes Doom look like a sad cartoon" - John Romero

Developer : Id Software
Format: PC (3rd party console ports followed)
1996
*****

Quake is remarkable for many reasons. It was the first FPS to have a genuine 3D playing environment*, at a time when the rest of the industry was content with extending the "2-and-1/2-D" system of Doom. It was designed to be easily modified and extended, using Quake C and a raft of editing tools. (Which led to the classic Threewave CTF and many other classic mods.) It had a modern network play scheme, allowing for more players and dynamically entering and exiting servers. And, of course, it had Id's trademark dark visuals and an exceptionally atmospheric ambient soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails. The multiplayer gameplay was highly addictive, frantic and favoured a large number of players.

The protracted development period saw many changes in the design of the game. Initially, Id had hoped to place the game in a traditional medieval setting and incorporate more RPG features. It became apparent that this was not practical if the game was ever to ship, so elements from Doom were recreated and the game became the shooter we know and love. The single player game is often criticised for being linear, repetitive and unfocussed. All of these criticisms are fairly valid, but at the time it must be remembered that people had lower expectations - a Half-Life style plot would have been out of the question.

Quake was originally a DOS game, with 3D acceleration and support for other OSes being developed after its release. GLQuake was probably responsible for shifting a large proportion of the original 3Dfx Voodoo cards. Interestingly, Id favoured the Rendition Verite 1000 (aka Creative Labs' 3D Blaster PCI), and helped develop a version of the game for it (VQuake) which had some features the GL version lacked (such as proper dynamic lighting, anti-aliasing and decent particles).

After Quake shipped, John Romero left Id to form Ion Storm. John Carmack eventually opened the source code (as with previous Id games). The Quake engine was used by Hexen II and Half-Life (yes, that's the Quake 1 - not 2 - engine with the addition of software coloured lighting, plus umpteen other enhancements).

*For pedants: Yes, OK, Descent was released first. But the 'P' in FPS stands for person, whereas in Descent you controlled a gravity defying spaceship thing. There were fully-3D games viewed in the first person going back for years, but Quake was the first to put all the pieces together.

Note: This is not so much a guide to installing as how to play effectively.

The first rule of playing Quake (or any first-person shooter) is that everybody falls the first time. For the first few weeks, you're going to suck- period. There's just no way around it. Don't worry about it.

To begin, you're going to set up your configuration. If you're right-handed, put the mouse on the right side of your keyboard (and vice-versa), and set up your keyboard config. If you're right-handed, this means that you're going to use the WASD configuration- W is move forward, S is move backward, A is strafe left, and D is strafe right. If you're left-handed, you've got a choice to make. You either need to use the arrow keys or work out some bizarre key combination (like IJKL). Attack should be some easily accessible key or the first mouse button. Jump should be likewise- usually the second mouse button. Don't forget to enable mouse look.

Now, on to technique. You need to learn basic deathmatch skills before you start worrying too much about strategy. Practice the basic skills- movement and jumping. Get to the point where you can move without thinking about it- jump over large gaps until that becomes second nature. Movement is the most important part of Quake.

The advanced techniques are what separates the novice from the expert. The first of the advanced techniques is circle-strafing. The idea is that you circle your opponent, constantly facing them and firing. To do this action, you need to move the mouse in one direction while strafing in the opposite. This will cause you to move in a circular pattern. With practice, you will become able to control your movement. Practice on stationary objects first- find a pillar and a nailgun and see how much you can hit it while maintaining the motion. Later, practice on slow-moving enemies before moving on to kill people with it. If you add jumping to this, only the truly good players will be able to hit you consistently.

The second advanced technique you will need to learn is that of jump movement. In Quake (and a fair amount of Quake-engine games) you can continue to steer yourself as long as you hold down the move forward key while jumping. You can use this to jump around corners (For example, this technique will let you get to the yellow armor in DM1 without hitting the button), and it will become very effective combined with the next trick.

Ahhh, rocket jumping. The coolest trick you've ever seen. The idea is this: If you jump, and fire a rocket at the ground, you'll go flying upward. The trick is near-simultaneous action- you want to fire the rocket as quickly as possible after jumping. Practice this action by jumping up from the bottom of DM4. You'll suck at it (and fall into the lava a lot) at first. Keep at it, and you'll get to the point where you can reach the lightning gun consistently. When you can do that, you'll learn the true meaning of this trick- horizontal movement. From the lightning gun, you should be able to shoot yourself across to the opposite ledge simply by aiming the rocket launcher.

Now that you have a lot of the important moves down (and at this point you should be able to move without thought), it's time to start thinking strategy. The trick to Quake is not picking up items for yourself, but picking up items so that your opponent cannot get them. This is called item denial. You need to keep armor and good weaponry away from your opponent or you will lose. Download a good demo of a DM3 clan match and watch as one clan monopolizes the armor and the rocket launcher. This is what you need to do, on a smaller scale. On DM4, you need to get the red armor, both rocket launchers, and the megahealth as often as possible. Without armor, your opponent will drop in a hit or two from your RL, and without weaponry, he will be unable to seriously damage you. Ammo is not a problem if you're killing your opponent regularly.

Follow this advice, and you'll be able to beat most newbies with the greatest of ease, and you'll score some hits on those who previously seemed invincible. Happy Fraggin'!
Being the first full 3d FPS game, Quake became the standard for singleplayer and multiplayer maps. Here's the list of all the maps from Quake, created by John Romero, Sandy Petersen, American McGee and Tim Willits.

Introduction
 |- Episode I: The Doomed Dimension
 | '- E1M1: The Slipgate Complex
 | '- E1M2: Castle of the Damned
 | '- E1M3: The Necropolis 
 | '- E1M4: The Grisly Grotto
 | '- E1M5: Gloom Keep
 | '- E1M6: The Door to Chthon
 | '- E1M7: The House of Chthon
 | '- E1M8: Ziggurat Vertigo (secret level)
 |
 |- Episode II: Real of Black Magic
 | '- E2M1: The Installation
 | '- E2M2: Ogre Citadel
 | '- E2M3: Crypt of Decay
 | '- E2M4: The Ebon Fortress
 | '- E2M5: The Wizard's Manse
 | '- E2M6: The Dismal Oubliette
 | '- E2M7: Underearth (secret level)
 |
 |- Episode III: Netherworld
 | '- E3M1: Termination Central
 | '- E3M2: The Vaults of Zin
 | '- E3M3: The Tomb of Terror
 | '- E3M4: Satan's Dark Delight
 | '- E3M5: Wind Tunnels
 | '- E3M6: Chambers of Torment
 | '- E3M7: The Haunted Halls (secret level)
 |
 |- Episode IV: The Elder World
 | '- E4M1: The Sewage System
 | '- E4M2: The Tower of Despair
 | '- E4M3: The Elder God Shrine
 | '- E4M4: The Palace of Hate
 | '- E4M5: Hell's Atrium
 | '- E4M6: The Pain Maze
 | '- E4M7: Azure Agony
 | '- E4M8: The Nameless City (secret level)
 |
 '- Shub-Niggurath's Pit
 
Deathmatchs
 |- DM1: Place Of Two Deaths
 |- DM2: Claustrophobopolis
 |- DM3: Abandoned Base
 |- DM4: The Bad Place
 |- DM5: The Cistern
 '- DM6: The Dark Zone

Transforms from tank to robot and back!

DECEPTICON: QUAKE

FUNCTION: GROUND ASSAULT
"Nothing lasts forever... so why not destroy it now?"

A destructive berzerker. Attacks everyone and everything with a vengeance. Doesn't stop shooting until everything is in ruins. Capable of leveling an entire Autobot installation in minutes. Titanium-based treads are equipped with special adhesive that enables Quake to climb sheer cliff surfaces. Known for his somewhat "off the wall" battle tactics. Teamed with Tiptop, a former circus strongman who transforms into a balance-altering, gyroscopic destabilizing weapon, and Heater, a smart-aleck street punk who transforms into a double photon pistol. Equipped with plasma cannon in tank mode.

  • Strength: 8
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Speed: 3
  • Endurance: 9
  • Rank: 5
  • Courage: 9
  • Firepower: 9
  • Skill: 6
Transformers Tech Specs


Quake, a Leopard tank, was more interesting than the usual "small" Targetmaster because the tank gun barrel could be removed and replaced with either small weapon, and the second one could be mounted on top of the turret like a machine gun. Probably the best-looking of all the second-year Targetmaster toys. (A boxy tank is much easier to turn into a robot than a triangular jet or a dump truck.)

Quake, by id, is the most convincing argument so far for video games as an art form. Yes, it was technically innovative, but it lives on in my dreams and nightmares because of its brilliant, cohesive, and totally unexpected vision, fully realized when the game is played online.

Online, players enter a world of identical, brawny vikings running through narrow corridors of stone and rusted metal against a soundtrack of screams and grunts. Quake takes the latent homoerotic fetishism that underpins most video games to its logical and delirious extreme, nowhere more than in the "frag" or kill messages, appearing every time a point is scored:

Ninja chewed on Vlad's boomstick
Vlad was nailed by Mick
Ninja ate 2 loads of Vlad's buckshot
Vlad was punctured by Ninja
Mick eats Ninja's pineapple
Vlad rides Ninja's rocket
Ninja accepts Vlad's shaft
Ninja accepts Vlad's discharge

Quake would have been Fassbinder's favorite computer game.

Back in the Beforetime, Quake amazed people a great deal due to one little detail: It was amazingly moddable due to the use of QuakeC - you could make something completely amazing and complicated, and not just mess with graphics or levels!

(Should make a better list of Most Amazing QuakeC Mods, but this is a start...)

  • Threewave CTF
  • Team Fortress - my all-time favorite net FPS mod. Reborn as TFC for Half-Life (not as amazing) and as Quake 3 Fortress for Q3A (would say it's better than the original if that wouldn't be blasphemy =)
  • Other popular mods such as Rocket Arena (a "duel" mod with less absurd rules) and Painkeep, neither of which I have tried...

...and then some mods that really screwed up the brains of people who saw them. How the hell can you make a first-person shooter do that?

  • Quake Rally and Checkered Flag: GoldCup - Racing with Quake engine?... (QR has also been "reinvented" for Q3A)
  • Quess / Quake Chess - Bringing a new meaning to "battle chess"...
  • Target Quake - Quake platformer? Now we're going to the asylum...
  • Several skateboarding mods, none as cool as Street Surfer though... =)
  • Slide - hoverboard mod

Since the Quake source code was released by iD Software later under GPL license, we now have several odd mods and game projects for Quake that also mess with the source code itself:

  • ttyquake - AAlib version of Quake. This one existed even before the source release, though (dynamic loading hack for svgalib)...
  • wmquake - Your very own little quake window
  • NPRQuake - New meaning to "graphical violence"
  • ARQuake - Paintball sounds awfully boring after this
  • Tenebrae Quake - You want cool shadows for scariness? Why wait for Doom III?
  • MozQuake - at the moment very theoretical project for running Quake in... Mozilla window?

And then the entirely hypothetical:

Quake has also inspired art, in form of Quaiku. There are also numerous Quake movies (mostly in form of recorded game demos); One of the most amazing ones is Quake Done Quick with a Vengeance.

Thanks for additions to fondue

Quake’s impact on the Internet is much more than most realize. (note: I will use Quake and Quakeworld interchangeably, because I don’t believe Quake was “whole” until QW came out.)

Quakeworld (Quake’s Internet modification) was the first wildly successful Internet videogame. There were previous games that stirred the multiplayer craze (Doom for one), but QW created a whole new set of rules of which future games had to abide by. First was the modifiability of Quake. Anyone could create or alter content in the game. This added to the games longevity and popularity. Second was the smooth game play provided by even the least reliable dial-up connections. The reason for this was the creation of client-side prediction, which smoothed out any noticeable jerkiness that plagued previous games. Third, players could join and leave games that had already begun. This freedom evolved into the basis for “dedicated servers,” where games were constantly running, and players could join them freely.

Quake also revolutionized the Internet and gaming industry itself. With the modifiability of Quake came an influx of young talent. Teenagers were sucked into the opportunity to easily personalize a game. This lead to a huge increase in computer video game designers. From a young age students were learning the intricacies of map making, coding, and texture drawing. Within a few years first-person video games were an entire market on their own. What was once a niche market of 2 games (Doom and Duke Nukem) turned into a place for over 50.

Quake also helped create a new WWW market. With the popularity of Quake came many websites dedicated to it and its “mods.” It gave people an excuse to learn HTML. This lead to an explosion in Video Gaming websites. Initially, some were solely dedicated to the author’s own Quake mod or general Quake-related news. A few of the larger general news websites eventually added other FPS games, and now they’re dedicated to the entire gaming scene (computer and console). Others realized the burgeoning popularity of gaming information and created large, commercial websites exclusively for games. Quake provided a substantial augmentation to the size of the WWW. It gave millions of kids an excuse to really delve into the Internet, that led to an increase in technical knowledge, and in turn those people began creating their own homes on the ‘Net. It’s no coincidence that the explosion of the Internet roughly coincides with the release and development of Quake and Quakeworld. By no means am I implying that Quake is responsible for the Internet’s popularity. What I’m saying is that in a synergistic, exponential way, this one video game has lead to millions of new webpages.

Finally, with Quake came conventions and professional video gaming. The conventions themselves are profitable venues for sponsors and managers; and the professional gaming scene is growing, with prizes of over $20,000 at major events. Professional gaming's roots began after the MPlayer competition where John Carmack gave away one of his Lamborghinis. Tournaments were also held for team competitions by Quake Clans. Clans were groups of individuals who formed a team, and played other teams either in online tournaments or for fun. These clans used IRC (another technology who profited) as a meeting place. IRC is an online chatting system, and it was the reason for the clan scene’s social success. It helped bring the players together to exchange ideas, gossip, setup matches, etc… People became good friends online, but didn’t meet until conventions or other events.

As with all good things, it came to an end. Quake2 itself should not be held responsible for Quakeworld’s demise, as a good amount of avid QW players were dissatisfied with Q2 initially and never fully digested it. Quake2 is mostly a good bookmark for the approximate time when players became bored of Quake. For 2 to 3 years clans were playing each other the exact same way (4 vs 4 on level DM3), and because of trepidation for change (other maps or gametypes for example) the excitement and community fizzled. The Quake scene is practically dead, but it has left behind a footprint that will never be forgotten, not just by those who took part in it, but by anyone who plays an online game since.

Message me with any comments, criticisms, or corrections. Please realize this is my opinion, and I'm not applying to have this entered into future computer history books.

"The Well of Wishes awaits in the Crypt of Decay!"

Platform: PC
Developer: id Software (1996)
BBFC: Rated 15

Minimum System Requirements:
486DX4/100
VGA Compatible Display
8MB RAM minimum
CD-ROM drive
MS-DOS 5.0
80 MB of Disc Space

It’s difficult to talk about Quake without mentioning Doom. Obviously its natural predecessor and one of the only games to have such a mould breaking effect on the genre, the fact that the two were created by the same team of people would give the impression that nobody else was trying. Of course that is not true. Apogee/3d Realms had been pushing the build engine for some time and it was in many ways superior to the Doom engine, however when Quake was released even Duke Nukem 3d seemed old and dated. I first played Quake on a 486 PC with a 1MB graphics card and I think it was 16 MB of RAM. I was unimpressed. It was jerky, slow, poorly defined and dark. Little did I know at the time that this was down to my poor hardware and not changing the gamma correction level. I spent the next few months making Duke 3d maps until I upgraded and my eyes were suddenly opened to Quake and I finally saw the closest thing I had ever seen to another world inside a machine and why it was so revolutionary. For those of you who have never seen the game here are the reasons it is a landmark in gaming history, for everyone else this will just remind you!

Plotline
Quake, an unknown enemy from another dimension. You are the commander of ‘Operation Counterstrike’, a mission to eradicate Quake before it uses slipgates to transport in and destroy the human race… The operation fails before it even begins. Quake makes the first move, infiltrating your base and killing everyone, now you are earth’s only hope.
Now you must collect the four runes to open the pathway to Shub-Nigguarth’s pit!

The world
A fully three dimensional world confronts you as soon as you start quake. This is a world where flat sprite enemies do not exist, you can move freely around all objects and see them from any angle. This kind of stuff had never been done before in a FPS game. Previous FPS games had relied on flat sprites to act as objects and rendering tricks to create walls, floors and ceilings. This could only take the genre so far. Duke 3d highlights these problems if you have ever attempted level design. Maps are effectively designed in 2 dimensions, rooms upon rooms cause graphical errors and design is limited because you effectively have to carve your level out, creating space as you go. Quake is the opposite. In Quake level design you are given space and have to fill it with all the components that your level requires. This includes floor, ceiling, walls and stairs. This was a sudden freedom given to the level designers allowed them to make worlds which felt real because they had been built rather than mapped out. This new world, like all worlds, required physics and Quake demonstrated a high level of attention to detail when it came to game physics. Rocket jumping is one of the most memorable applications of this, but gravity is also important. Although not immediately obvious, Quake has a gravity level much lower than the real world, this allows players to jump higher, fall further and look around whilst falling. The variable gravity levels are demonstrated best in the ultra-low gravity level Ziggurat Vertigo. Underwater sections are commonplace in Quake, they allow you to swim through underwater mazes (with no silent teleporters!) and emphasise in many ways the fully 3d nature of the game. So they created a new world, one which you could walk through and marvel at, where sparks from explosions fly past your face and where a box of shells has more than one side… and they filled their new world with darkness and evil!

Yes it is gothic! But then I think that only gothic architecture could ever do Quake justice. Architecture is a word which has become more and more used when talking about game level design and Quake was possibly the first to actually have building architecture. Huge arch gates, pillars and columns, bridges, balconies and walkways; all these had to be designed and for the first time they had to look like they could be built. There are very few games I can think of that have emphasised the level architecture as much as Quake did with the possible exception of Ico. Blood stained walls and filthy green pools of water set the tone, there are images of evil plastered around the place and the lighting effects only serve to make it all seem much creepier. The soundtrack is just as dark with howling wind, crackling of flames and suitably grim monster noises. In addition the music is by NIN which somehow seems appropriate!

Firepower
Quake has a basic, but comprehensive, set of weapons. There is a gun to suit your every situation:

  • Axe – When you run out of ammo just take out your axe and start swinging!
  • ShotgunPump action, will kill anything with enough rounds
  • Double Barrelled Shotgun – Good all round weapon, reasonably powered
  • Nailgun – Rapidly fires nails!
  • Super Nailgun – Does twice the damage using twice the nails!1 (My weapon of choice!)
  • Grenade Launcher – Drop one into a pit of enemies and wait, or fire it directly at something for instant results
  • Rocket Launcher – Very powerful explosive projectile weapon.
  • Thunderbolt – Fire a beam of lightning to fry your enemy, remember that water conducts electricity!

Other Items
In addition to basic health, ammo and armour there are a few other things to pick up:

Single Player
Quake is never really remembered for its single player game, and has been criticised for being too easy and linear. I believe this to be unfair, yes Quake is easy by today’s standards but at the time it had never been done before. I, like many other people, had to learn how to play FPS games all over again using the mouse effectively in conjunction with the keyboard. Single player starts in a way that had not really been seen before, with a hub type level to gain access to the rest of the game. Firstly you have to select a difficulty from easy, medium or hard (or nightmare if you found it). You then move through to the second area where you have to select an episode from the four available: The Doomed Dimension; Realm of Black Magic; Netherworld; The Elder World. Once in the episode the first level is always a military installation, from here you must find the slipgate to transport you to the dimension in the episode title. As I mentioned before, the aim of each episode is to collect the rune. You start each episode with a clean slate, full health, axe and shotgun.
The levels feel very close, almost claustrophobic. There are very few open spaces and there are many less enemies than the original Doom games, this makes each small group of monsters feels like a challenge. Progression through the levels is fairly straightforward and usually involves running back and forth through the levels pushing buttons and collecting keys. There are many varieties of traps to kill you, these usually do so very quickly and it can be unclear exactly how you died until you go back to the same area. There are also a lot of secret areas scattered through the levels which are usually accessed by shooting a secret door (Which bleeds when shot!).

Enemies
Single player Quake comes loaded with a wide selection of enemies:

  • Rottweiler – Basically a dog, they are not slow and can catch you off guard.
  • Grunt – Your basic shotgun wielding guy, not too hard to take care of.
  • Enforcer – A grunt with a blaster not a shotgun.
  • Knight – A bloody, gothic piece of work. Not too tough, but watch out for the sword.
  • Death Knight - Again look out for the sword, and the blaster spray.
  • Rotfish – Annoying swimming enemy, more dangerous than they look!
  • Zombie-Don’t waste bullets on them, they won’t die unless you blow them up!
  • Scrag – A creepy flying thing, they shouldn’t cause you too much trouble.
  • Ogre – A chainsaw wielding psychopath who will fire grenades at you if you are too far away for him to cut you up.
  • Spawn – Argh! Possibly the most irritating enemy in the game. Basically a blue blobby thing which is as dangerous to kill as to leave alive.
  • Fiend – Will scare the hell out of you when you first meet one. Small running jumping creature that tear at you with their claws.
  • Vore – Resembles a spider with a humanoid upper body, watch out for the missiles which will track you.
  • Shambler – The enemy everyone remembers. Large and in charge! They will slash at you if you get too close, or they will electrocute you from a distance. Oh, and explosions do it very little damage!
They Game also contains two bosses; Chthon and Shub. I won’t spoil the fun be telling you how to defeat them, but let’s just say that they were both a little foolish in choosing where they live!

Multiplayer
Quake could be played co-operatively or in deathmatch mode where players scored by ‘fragging’ others. This is where Quake excelled! Deathmatch gameplay had been refined since it was first attempted back when Doom had been released. Your character is more resilient than the space marine of doom making instant death less common. This made the game much more about skill and less about luck and knowing the map. Quake deathmatch introduced the telefrag, usually performed more by luck than skill it allows you to kill a player by teleporting into the space they occupy with predictably gruesome effects.
Ok, so it isn’t perfect and I don’t think that a game has been developed yet which possesses ‘perfect’ deathmatch but it is good! I think that the success of Quake deathmatch is due partly to the purity and simplicity of the gameplay. You can freely move inside the three dimensional world of Quake, jumping and running as and where you want to. There are no slowing factors when playing, no activate button to hunt for to make a lift work, no use item button, no primary/secondary fire, Streamlined weapon set and a well balanced one all contributed to making Quake addictive to play. However it was not just the gameplay which brought about the online gaming revolution. Quakeworld allowed people to play many different opponents in continuously running games (A theme which is discussed in more detail by Woburn).

Customisation
Quake gave amateur programmers and just enthusiastic gamers the chance to customise the game by creating not only levels but also patches to change the gameplay. This was all down to the fact that Quake was programmed in QuakeC, a programming language that is a modified version of C.

  • Weapons mods – Many of these were made to add to or change the original weapon set.
  • Bots – Computer controlled Artificial intelligences to either help you or oppose you.
  • Total conversions – Complete changes in gameplay which sometimes went as far as making Quake into a completely different genre of game, and just using the graphics engine.
  • Skins – Budding artists could customise the way their character looks besides just changing the shirt and shorts colour.

The Console A drop down command prompt which allows commands to be entered manually into the game as well as keeping a running log of the game in progress. It also allows you to bind commands to keys, select maps and enter patch commands. Viewed by pressing `.

A landmark game, from id, what else can I say!

For more info goto www.idsoftware.com

References
Game documentation


1 - Thanks to N-Wing for correcting me on this.

Quake (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Quaked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Quaking.] [AS. cwacian; cf. G. quackeln. Cf. Quagmire.]

1.

To be agitated with quick, short motions continually repeated; to shake with fear, cold, etc.; to shudder; to tremble. Quaking for dread."

Chaucer.

She stood quaking like the partridge on which the hawk is ready to seize. Sir P. Sidney.

2.

To shake, vibrate, or quiver, either from not being solid, as soft, wet land, or from violent convulsion of any kind; as, the earth quakes; the mountains quake.

" Over quaking bogs."

Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quake, v. t. [Cf. AS. cweccan to move, shake. See Quake, v. t.]

To cause to quake.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quake, n.

A tremulous agitation; a quick vibratory movement; a shudder; a quivering.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.