Grandma Erwin's Pumpkin Pie




  • 1 Large can(30 oz) of Stewed Pumpkin
  • 4 Eggs
  • 2 Cups Brown Sugar
  • 1 Large can (14 oz) Evaporated Milk
  • 4 Tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp. Ground Allspice
  • 2 Tbsp. Flour

  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Mix all well.
  3. Taste to see if more sugar or spice is needed.
  4. Pour into pie shells. (Makes 2 deep pies or 3 shallow pies)
  5. Bake @ 450 for 15 minutes.
  6. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
  7. Test with toothpick to see if it is done. (Toothpick comes out clean when done)

9-inch 10-inch
  • Pastry for 10-inch One-Crust Pie
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 3/4 cups canned pumpkin
  • 2 1/4 cups evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry. Beat eggs slightly with hand beater or wire whisk in medium bowl. Beat in remaining ingredients. To prevent spilling, place pastry-lined pie plate on oven rack. Pour filling into pie plate. Bake 15 minutes

Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake 9-inch pie about 45 imutes longer, 10-inch pie about 55 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Refrigerate about 4 hours or until chilled. Serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream if desired. Immediately refrigerate any remaining pie. 8 servings, 285 calories each for 9-inch pie, 430 calories each for 10-inch pie.

Post-Halloween we had a few pumpkins lying around the house. I thought to myself, “Self, what do you think of making a pumpkin pie from scratch?” To which I responded, “Gee, that’s a spiff-o-riffic idea, let’s get started.”

Never having made a pumpkin pie from an actual pumpkin, I consulted Betty on the proper way to do so. Betty of course, is our cookbook. She’s nearly 45 years old, so she hasn’t been infected with any of Martha Stewart’s mind controlling elixirs of death. To my dismay, Betty could only provide a recipe stunningly similar to the one at the apex of this node!

Canned Pumpkin!?!?

While I realized that un-processed food has become a concept that is decidedly un-American, I sometimes feel it is necessary to defy the precepts of patriotism for the over-all good of the universe. With this in mind, I decided I would just have to figure out how to render a pumpkin down to its constituent mush without any help from the cooking gods.

After briefly consulting Betty on techniques for cooking other squash-like items, I took my trusty Big Pointy Knife (a must in every kitchen) in hand and set to chopping the pumpkin into little strips. In case you are wondering, this is very therapeutic if done in a maniacal fashion while singing “I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay.” I then removed the orange rind and the stringy, squishy, seedy part from the pumpkin sections so that I was left with slices of the firm fleshy intermediate portion.

mmmm....fleshy...

These sections I put into a 13x9x2 pan and smothered in melted butter and brown sugar. I added an inch of water to the pan, covered it with foil and baked it till the sections were very soft. (temp: approximately 350 F, time: approximately 1 hour).

After the pumpkin bits were all squishy, I drained the water and put them in a bowl. Creeping up ever so slowly so as not to frighten them, I ambushed the bits with a potato masher and turned them into mush (this was the second-most-fun part). I then drained more water out of this mush, and used it in the recipe in place of canned pumpkin in the proscribed amounts.

My roommate called the resulting pie “the best pumpkin pie (she) had ever had in (her) entire life. My friend just said it was good.

And that friends, is how I defeated the evil factions of pre-processed pumpkin mush, and saved my household from having one too many pumpkins and not enough pie.

Non-Dairy (Parve) Pumpkin Pie

I suppose at this point you are asking yourself, "Self, why would I EVER want to make a non-dairy pumpkin pie?" Well, the clue should come from the other word in the recipe title, "parve". According to kashrut, the Jewish dietary laws, a person must wait a specified amount of time after eating meat before consuming anything dairy. The amount of time varies according to custom, but is generally between 3 and 6 hours. Something parve is neither meat nor dairy.

Naturally, Thanksgiving dinner wouldn't be the same without either the turkey or the pumpkin pie, so you have a choice: Either the turkey has to be "non-meat" or the pie has to be "non-dairy". In my mind, the choice is clear.

I made this pie for Thanksgiving dinner this year, and it turned out reasonably well. It's a little heavier and less creamy than regular pumpkin pie, and the spices are a little overzealous. Next year, I'm considering the addition of a small amount of non-dairy creamer and a little less cloves.

3 cups canned pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1 9-inch kosher parve pie crust

Combine the sugar, salt, and spices with the pumpkin. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the melted margarine. Combine the beaten eggs with the pumpkin mixture and pour into the pie crust. Bake at 450F for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean and the pie is brown on top.

Allergy Safe Recipes

pie crust for 9 inch pie
----
1 can pumpkin for pie (about 16 ounces)
1 package silken tofu (about 20 ounces)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon allspice*
1 teaspoon nutmeg*
2 teaspoons cinnamon*
1 teaspoon ginger*

* or your favorite pie spices; use a bit more than you normally would since the tofu is bland.

Unflavored gelatin powder or other jelling agent--enough to gel 1 cup of liquid by the instructions
1/4 cup hot water
Optional: 1/2 cup rich cashew milk or other cream substitute

Preheat oven to 350 (F). Put pumpkin and tofu in a blender and blend until no lumps of tofu remain. You may need to do this in two batches.
Move mixture to large bowl and mix in vanilla, honey, sugar, salt, and spices. Dissolve gelling agent in hot water. Mix in approximately one cup of the pumpkin mixture. Make sure you mix in well. Add this back into the rest of the pumpkin mixture, again mixing well. If you are using the optional cashew milk, add this to the pumpkin mixture now. Place this in pie shell or bake as custard in a greased baking dish. Bake approximately 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean (more or less; just not liquidy). It will solidify some upon cooling.

--------------
OR
--------------

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup dairyfree milk substitute
2 cups (1 can) pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

Let the gelatin sit in the water for a minute before dissolving it on low heat, and then just throw the rest into the pot, mix it together, and pour into the 9" prebaked or graham cracker crust. Then refrigerate for a couple hours.


Copyright 1997-1998, Eileen Kupstas Soo. Use and copying of this information are permitted as long as (1) no fees or compensation are charged for use, copies or access to this information, and (2) this copyright notice is included intact. -- CST Approved.

A lighter alternative to your already phatty holiday feast. Egg whites give it more of a moussey consisitency and I find it much more refreshing after gorging myself on starch and triptophane.

Lola's Lighterside Pumpkin Pie
serves 8

    do this:
  • Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl.
  • Beat egg whites lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
  • Bake for 15 minutes in a 425 degree oven. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for additional 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool one hour then chill in fridge 2 hours. (Do not freeze as this will cause filling to separate from crust.)

For those suffering dieters who have been searching for a Low-Carb Pumpkin Pie, this is it. It has the same taste and texture of regular pumpkin pie. It is extremely rich and very solid. Like all pumpkin pies, it is best after a day or two in the fridge or when very fresh, and when accompanied by ice cream.

Ingredients:

  • 1 small can (15oz) pumpkin or equivalent
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2/3 cup splenda brand sucralose sweetener
  • 2 large eggs
  • Spices:
      either
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tsp ground ginger
    • 1 tsp ground cloves
      or
    • 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • Pie crust: low-carb crust for baking or similar.

Instructions:

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F
  2. Mix dry ingredients in small bowl
  3. Beat eggs together in large bowl
  4. Add pumpkin to large bowl, mix thoroughly
  5. Mix in dry ingredients
  6. Add cream, mix thoroughly
  7. Pour mixture into pie crust
  8. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes
  9. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees F and continue baking for 50-60 minutes or until fork inserted near center comes out clean
  10. Cool on oven rack for two hours, serve or refrigerate

Nutritional Information for Entire Pie
(Divide by the number of slices to get nutritional information per serving)

Note: Splenda/sucralose contains basically nothing and can be ignored for the purposes of this recipe's nutritional content.

                Pumpkin    Eggs    Cream      Total
------------------------------------------------------
          Fat   2g         9g      80g        91g
  Saturated     0g         3g      64g        67g
       Sodium   2mg        130mg   80mg       212mg
Carbohydrates   32g        2g      8g*        42g
      Fiber     18g        0g      0g         18g
      Sugar     14g        0g      8g*        22g
        Net     14g        2g      8g         24g
    Protein     7g         12g     0g         19g

    Vitamin A   1,050%     12%     64%        1,126%
    Vitamin C   0%         0%      0%         0%
      Calcium   7%         4%      0%         11%
         Iron   14%        8%      0%         22%

*Amount of carbohydrates in cream is estimated. Some heavy cream claims 0g/Tbsp, some claims 1g/Tbsp. The FDA allows a claim of 0g when less than 1g of carbohydrates present, further confusing the situation.


References:

  1. Label: Petaluma Farms Farm Fresh Eggs. 18 ct. size, UPC 21248 95149
  2. Label: Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin. 29 oz. size, UPC 39000 04512
  3. Label: Producers 100% Natural Ultra Pasteurized Heavy Whipping Cream. One pint size, UPC 78255 00331

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.