Glop people put in their hair to hold it down or to make it conform to their expectations. cf hairspray.

Also, the french word for moss and for mould.
Mousse is also (and I think this preceeds the hair product) a light and fluffy food concoction that can be either a desert or a fruit/vegetable or meat/fish dish.

They are made fluffy by adding whipped cream, whipped egg whites and/or whipped gelatin to a smooth base ingredient.

Commonly seen as a desert is chocolate mousse. The most common fish mousse I know of is salmon mousse.
The ingredients for a common mousse are:

  • 15 ounces semisweet chocolate
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 4 egg whites

To make the glaze for the mousse:
Break up the 3 ounces of the chocolate and place in top of double boiler. Add sugar and water. Place over hot water on moderate heat. Stir occasionally until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from hot water. Add butter and stir until smooth. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens slightly.

To make the mousse:
Melt 12 ounces of the chocolate over simmering water. Combine yolks, whole egg and instant coffee powder. Whip until light and creamy, Blend in melted chocolate. Whip cream and sugar until fairly firm peaks form. Fold chocolate mixture into cream. Whip egg whites at high speed until moist and fluffy but not dry. Fold whites into chocolate mixture.

Lastly, add on as much of the glaze you want on the mousse.

Mousse (mOOs), n. [F.] (Cookery)

A frozen dessert of a frothy texture, made of sweetened and flavored whipped cream, sometimes with the addition of egg yolks and gelatin. Mousse differs from ice cream in being beaten before -- not during -- the freezing process.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.