I'm not sure why this is called a salad, it's more like a thick mousse, but is especially delicious and easy to make.
1 large tin of pears in juice (not syrup)
1 block of Philadelphia or other cream cheese
1 packet of lime jelly (or Jell-o if you're from the USA)
About a quarter pint of cream
- Drain the pear juice into a small saucepan.
- Heat the juice to just below boiling point.
- Meanwhile, mash up the pears, and then mash the cheese into the pears.
- Once the juice has been heated, break the jelly into it. Stir until the jelly has dissolved.
- Put the juice/jelly into the fridge until it is cool, and has started to set. Do not let it set fully.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream.
- When the jelly has started to firm up a little, mix it in with the pear/cheese mixture.
- Fold in half of the cream.
- Leave the whole mess in the fridge until it has fully set into a mousse-like consistency.
And that's it! Serve with the rest of the cream for those of your guests who are especially keen to block their arteries.