3/4 cup cake
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons shortening
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
3 cubes ice
1/2 cup cold water
1) Measure butter & shortening onto a plate, put into freezer for about
2) Measure cake flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into
the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds to mix.
3) Take 1/2 of the cold butter and 1/2 of the cold shortening, put into processor
with dry ingredients and pulse off and on for about 1 minute. Scrape down twice
while doing this.
4) Take remainder of the cold butter & cold shortening and cut in very
briefly with the processor, leaving visible pea-sized chunks. Do not over process
at this stage!
5) In a measuring cup, mix egg yolk and vinegar together, add ice cubes and
water. Let this get chilled, about 3 to 4 minutes.
6) Remove mixed flours and shortening from processor, put into a large mixing
bowl. Sprinkle approximately 4 to 5 tablespoons of this egg, water, vinegar
mixture, a little at a time, mixing gently with a fork. The key to this is that
you do not want a wet dough, and you do not want to over mix.
7) Place this dough into plastic wrap or plastic bag, chill in refrigerator
for a few minutes. (May also be frozen for a few weeks at this stage for future
8) Remove from refrigerator and roll out.