The movie:

The TV series:
Plot: Two geek teenagers succeed in creating a woman with their computer. Hilarity insues.

In the words of Jay (part of Jay and Silent Bob):

On the topic of John Hughes movies:

Weird Science, where all this chick wants to do is take off her gear and get down, but Oh, no, it's a PG movie.

These two geeky kids have never dated a girl, so they decide to simulate a woman on the computer, and make her as real as possible so they could talk to 'her.' Think Eliza. Anyway, there's a sudden power surge as they dialed into a mainframe and...the hot girl of their dreams shows up.

She's got some kind of power to manipulate reality like a Genie, and can do things by thinking of it, sorta the Bewitched or I dream of Jeannie magic powers. They give her the name Lisa, and she conjures up Sports cars for them, fake IDs, and gets them social lives. She sets them up with their crushes, and makes fake bullies for them to fight to impress the girls.

Unfortunately I do not remember how it ended. I do consider it one of the better John Hughes movies, not just a "chick flick."

The TV show I believe switched stations at one point. The show was similiar to the movie, in a way taking its cue from where the movie left off.

In it, Lisa gives them powers, but they don't always work the way they want. She turns them into girls so they'd figure out what kind of person they needed to be to pick up women. One time she gives them Superman powers, and forgets how to remove them. Cute show, and funny.

"Maybe it was a dream, you know, a very weird, bizarre, vivid, erotic, wet, detailed dream. Maybe we have malaria?"

When Weird Science was released in 1985, I was relieved that somebody finally came forward to make a film for people like me: Horny Geeks with a sense of humour: So I was not the only boy in the world with a huge stack of Playboys, Omnis and a computer! Gosh, who would have thought. John Hughes gave with his first four films (Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off) a whole worldwide generation of disenfranchised, uglyish non-jocks the reassuring feeling that they were not alone on this world and that the daily struggle against the beautiful assholes at school was a fight not fought alone.

This is what this film is about: Recognition and the desire to be wanted.

Somewhere in the US, in some easily exchangeable suburb, Garry (Anthony Michael Hall) and Wyatt (Ilan Mitchell-Smith) are two average boys in a world where being average is just not good enough. Sitting one evening in Wyatt's room, they fantasize about creating the perfect simulation of a woman with Wyatt's computer (which looks remarkably like an MSX): She should be brainy, sexy, lewd and an easy lay: to perfect the woman for two geeks who never got laid (or even touched a woman). So they hack into the local mainframe, scan in a couple of pictures and start simulating away. To add a bit of mysticism, they attach a Barbie doll to the serial port and hum a bit:

Wyatt: Garry, by the way, why are we wearing bras on our heads? Garry: Ceremonial.

And yes, the perfect woman (aka Kelly LeBrock) appears in Garry's closet: she's horny, she's scantily clothed and she can make every of their wishes come true. She gives them sportscars and cool clothes, makes a fool of their archenemy (Robert Downey Jr) and teaches Wyatt's sadistic big brother (a hilarious Bill Paxton) a lesson (by letting it snow in his bedroom and turning him into a slimy, ball-less monster). By displaying some motherly insight, she even gives them the chance to fall in love and fight for their girls (against a horde of mutant bikers right out of Mad Max) during their first own party.

" You know, I can't believe this, Wyatt. I'm so disappointed in us. I mean, all our lives we've been saying how great it would be if we went to parties, right? And now it's our party and we're in the john. We're in the john! "
Everybody seems happy.

Then she vanishes...

I can not recommend this movie more highly: This (with Ferris Bueller's Day Off) is Hughes masterpiece and should be seen as his lasting legacy to the first generation that grew up with immense media pressure to be perfect in any way.

A very funny, and very human film.

Source: Imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.