SuperMegaNodeFestQuest 2013
SHAZAM!


The Quest Has Ended.


Two weekends. Ten days. One gabillion writeups.

Or thereabouts.

SuperMegaNodeFestQuest is a challenge to you to post as many writeups as you can over one week(ish). It is also a scavenger hunt. And it is also a charity fundraiser. Shazam!


Quest Targets

In the tradition of scavenger hunts, the goal is to node as many of these things as you possibly can. It is absolutely okay to node a scary poem and count it under horror and poetry. Or write a recipe for vegan samgyetang and count it as your recipe writeup and your North Korea writeup. Obviously, you don't need to do all of these; the goal is just to get more than anyone else. Oh, and new items may be added to this list at any time. In fact, you are welcome to suggest any whimsical notions that pop into your head.

  1. A poem.
  2. A movie review.
  3. A book review.
  4. A band review.
  5. A story involving magical (or superhero!) powers.
  6. A writeup about a plant.
  7. A writeup about a monster.
  8. Fill a nodeshell from wertperch's nodeshell challenge. (Please let wertperch know if you fill one of his nodeshells!)
  9. A daylog.
  10. A recipe.
  11. A writeup about Canada.
  12. A writeup about Belgium.
  13. A writeup about North Korea.
  14. A writeup about a recent event in the news.
  15. A lede (you do not have to use the nodetype lede).
  16. A writeup containing a foreign word (not in English dictionaries; be warned, I have a Big Dictionary).
  17. Something from your childhood.
  18. A writeup that gets C!'d.
  19. A writeup that does not get C!'d.
  20. A writeup in a node that already has at least two writeups.
  21. A writeup about a popular meme.
  22. A factual writeup involving religion.
  23. C&P - a writeup that is at least 50% recycled content.
  24. A writeup in a node with a title starting with Y.
  25. A writeup in a nodeshell created by another quester.
  26. A writeup about a charity.
  27. A writeup containing any of three secret mystery words: Squid, Hat, or Cromulent.
  28. Five writeups in any one of these categories.
  29. A writeup that hits at least six of the previous categories.
  30. Quest outside the box: have at least two writeups that do not garner quest points (to be determined at the end of the quest).

Quester Suggested Categories:
Each quester may add one category; be warned, I have line item veto.

  1. Something that would make your grandmother blush -- corvus
  2. A video game review -- Uberbanana
  3. Something for the vegetarians/vegans -- Tem42
  4. A writeup about a kitchen appliance -- moeyz
  5. A writeup on hypothetical variations on a sport or game of any kind -- andycyca
  6. A writeup involving cheese -- Zephronias



The Rules!

The quest starts on Friday the 12th. Everything you post between midnight server time 12/07/2013 and 22/07/2013 will be counted for the quest. Let me know that you are participating.

You may enter the quest after 12/07; entering the quest will automatically enter all writeups written during the quest period into the quest.

Please do not put little notes in your writeups letting everyone know that they were done for SMNFQ'13S!. It's not like Gone in 60 Seconds or The Blood is the Life: A Frightful Halloween Quest, where following the link is likely to turn up more of the same genre. Softlinking back here, though, is fine, and your quest writeups will all be listed in this node.

In the past SuperMegaNodeFestQuest has relied on an honor system, trusting that you will produce good content for the good of the database. WELL, NO MORE! Nothing with a rep of 0 or less will be counted towards the quest; deleted writeups will not be counted towards the quest. Everything else is good.

There is no length requirement.

Old writeups that are removed to draft and then reposted will not be counted. Seriously. Who does that?


The Prizes!

Aside from the inherent rewards that come from noding, you'll get one 10 GP blessing for every five writeups you post as part of the Quest; there will also be GP rewards for 1st place (150 GP), 2nd place (100 GP), 3rd place (50 GP) and the possibility of honorable mentions.

And ALSO Tem42 will be donating one dollar to Kiva.org for every scavenger hunt item noded by each noder. And one dollar for every C! earned on a quest entry. And another dollar for any writeup topping a rep of 20. If you 'earn' $20 or more, you will be able to request a specific Kiva recipient (or country, or population, or gender). This will be donated under the E2 Lending Community*.

Obviously, at one dollar a point, Tem42 is a cheapskate. Make im pay. Beat it out of im. Node like the vindictive philanthropist I know you are.



MORE Prizes!

Auspice will also donate one dollah to Kiva for each one given by Tem42. And, one Amazon gift card valued at $10 to the most popular noad. Shazam!



The Questers!

andycyca


avalyn

  • Neverwinter (b, 18)
  • Writeups: 1, Categories: 2, C!s: 1, Total: $3


borgo


corvus


disarticulate


e2reneta


Glowing Fish


go ahead I'll listen


Hommerabi


mauler


moeyz


Tem42


tubular


Uberbanana


webmaren


Zephronias



The quest is over.

It will take a while to tally everything up; if you are motivated to do so, you may want to check over the categories that I have listed after each of your entries, and make sure I got them right. The categories of Writeup-Not-C!'d and Quest-Outside-The-Box will not be assigned for 48 hours, to let the dust settle (in other words, if you want to go C! all of your competitors writeups, now is your chance).



The Winners!

1st place
for 150 GP
andycyca
with 24 categories!


2nd place
for 100 GP
Zephronias and moeyz
Each with 22 categories!


Honorable Mentions:


The Lazer Focus Award: Hommerabi, for an average of 3 categories per writeup.
25 GP

Bringing In the Money: Zephronias raised $40 just through the power of the written word.
25 GP

Pretty Damned Clever: borgo exemplified the spirit of the info-scavenger-quest with The Brooding Soldier.
25 GP



Totals:


$274 to Kiva from Tem42.
$274 to Kiva from Auspice

A grand total of $548.






*Due to the difficulty of juggling charities, Tem will determine the distribution of most funds. The default is Kiva.org targetting loans in the educational and agricultural domains. If you win at least 20 points, you may request a loan in another domain -- or to a specific country, gender, etc.

Any participant may request that their winnings go to Path (path.org); no minimum level required. To keep things simple, no other charities are open at this time, unless you would like to sponsor them yourself.

Kiva allows funds that are loaned to be withdrawn as cash once the original loans are repaid. SuperMegaNodeFestQuest (Tem division) funds are not withdrawn; they are continuously reloaned, and last year's winnings are still helping folks around the world. This year's winnings will be 100% new donations made in cold hard cash.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.