Hate is a comic book series by Peter Bagge. It falls into the genre of "alternative comics". It is centered on Buddy Bradley, who is actually a charicature of Peter Bagge himself. It follows Buddy's trials and tribulations as he moves to Seattle from New Jersey, then back again. It captures the early to mid 90's "scene" in a very realistic way. The series spanned 30 issues, and is still available from Fantagraphics.

Hate was known as a "slacker comic" since Peter lived in Seattle when a lot of it was drawn. When I heard Peter speak at the Portland Art Museum, he mentioned that a lot of times when someone came to Seattle from a famous magazine to do a story about Sub Pop records or the "grunge" scene, a little story about Hate would end up as a sidebar to that article.

The main characters in the series were:

The verb form of the word hate has recently undergone a minor innovation in usage. Occasionally, it is made to take the preposition on, as in "Why are you hating on me?"

The definition of the word appears to be slightly different in this usage. Instead of hating an object internally as an emotional state of sorts as would be the case in the usage "I hate sunlight," a person hating on an object is in some way externally venting some sort of hatred. That is, "X hates on Y" means that X is doing something that makes Y feel hated, such as insulting Y's single puny bottom thing which pales in comparison to the manly pair on which X rests. Or, y'know, whatever it is that letters of the alphabet are sensitive about.

This usage tends to be associated with Ebonics, although it need not necessarily be.

This has been your linguistic newsflash for the day. We now return you to your regularly scheduled noding.

It's interesting no-one bothered to write about what that feeling really is and how it feels.

Hate!

I learned what hate is, when I was eighteen. I only felt it once.

My parents taught me. They don't know, but they did.

They were in the middle of the long and winding process of separation at that time. Always fighting about everything.

It was just one small quip that triggered it. I was standing, suddenly without any emotion. Staring out the window, not seeing anymore, feeling nothing. No fear, no love, no rage, not even anger. Just emptyness.
When you don't feel any more, your thoughts come through clear and unfiltered. No emotions to keep you back. The world around you blurs, but your objectives stand out even sharper.
There is only one way out. The voice in your head doesn't whisper, neither does it scream. It is your own voice, speaking without any emotion to it, stating only the logical.
Kill them!

I'm glad it only lasted a second.

Hate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hated; p. pr. & pr. & vb. n. Hating.] [OE. haten, hatien, AS. hatian; akin to OS. hatan, hatn to be hostile to, D. haten to hate, OHG. hazzn, hazzn, G. hassen, Icel. & Sw. hata, Dan. hade, Goth. hatan, hatian. . Cf. Hate, n., Heinous.]

1.

To have a great aversion to, with a strong desire that evil should befall the person toward whom the feeling is directed; to dislike intensely; to detest; as, to hate one's enemies; to hate hypocrisy.

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer. 1 John iii. 15.

2.

To be very unwilling; followed by an infinitive, or a substantive clause with that; as, to hate to get into debt; to hate that anything should be wasted.

I hate that he should linger here. Tennyson.

3. Script.

To love less, relatively.

Luke xiv. 26.

Syn. -- To Hate, Abhor, Detest, Abominate, Loathe. Hate is the generic word, and implies that one is inflamed with extreme dislike. We abhor what is deeply repugnant to our sensibilities or feelings. We detest what contradicts so utterly our principles and moral sentiments that we feel bound to lift up our voice against it. What we abominate does equal violence to our moral and religious sentiments. What we loathe is offensive to our own nature, and excites unmingled disgust. Our Savior is said to have hated the deeds of the Nicolaitanes; his language shows that he loathed the lukewarmness of the Laodiceans; he detested the hypocrisy of the scribes and Pharisees; he abhorred the suggestions of the tempter in the wilderness.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hate, n. [OE. hate, hete, AS. hete; akin to D. haat, G. hass, Icel. hatr, SW. hat, Dan. had, Goth. hatis. Cf. Hate, v.]

Strong aversion coupled with desire that evil should befall the person toward whom the feeling is directed; as exercised toward things, intense dislike; hatred; detestation; -- opposed to love.

For in a wink the false love turns to hate. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.