This Quest is now closed! Thank you!
.Greetings, fellow noders, and welcome to this quest. Since my arrival here, I've noticed a real dearth of nodes on classical music. This is a huge and truly important topic, because it is a history of creative expression. I want everything! Composer
s! Performers! Festivals! Instruments! Pieces! It's all good. All genres, from Gregorian Chant
to modern opera. Because this is for many a node what you don't know
project, it will also be a long one. People, as ever, please save your votes and C!s for the noble contributors to this endeavour. Thanks. The quest begins immediately, and the deadline for quest entries is 00:00 server time on Thursday December 19th (note change!)
. After this time no quest entries will be accepted. Right.
Rancid_Pickle has very kindly offered to stand by and hand out blessings, and Ouroboros has equally kindly offered to be on hand to answer any questions you might have. /msg him or me with any gremlins.
- Please don't cut and paste. It's not worth it.
- Please do take your time. I heard on the wires that multiple blessings are going to particularly worthy entries.
- Acknowledge your sources. There's no shame in admitting you've done research for god's sake.
- Naming convention: please include the bare minimum of information necessary to identify your piece. Composer, genre and number. Hence Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5. If there's a name it's commonly known by, use that instead. Hence Toy Symphony. OK? If in doubt /msg us with questions. The probem with this is that there is so much information you could include that title formats vary wildly, and then the Search box ceases to be useful. Some hints and clarifications can also be found here.
- If you're noding opera, I don't just want to see the libretto, even if it's explicated. This is not the point. This is about Music, not words. OK?
- A handy resource and starting point can be found here: www.mutopiaproject.org
As questions get asked, there'll be an FAQ.
- Can I reserve a write-up before anyone else gets it?
Yes, because each writeup will take you a little while, it's a reasonable paranoia. In fact, someone's already done so.
Beigs has reserved the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, terrified that at this moment thousands of monkeys on typewriters are replicating his every keystroke... Also. LaylaLeigh has claimed Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. So hands off. dsch has gone absolutely mad, claiming these: Galina Vishnevskaya, Messiaen's Vingt Regards sur L'Enfant Jesus (Twenty Visions of the Infant Jesus), and Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk. Crikey! a scar faery has taken harp, too. quoi? has claimed Alexander Scriabin and Hummel. darl has claimed Bruch Violin Concerto, Bach Cello Suites, and Brahms Violin Concerto. corwin has reserved Paul Dukas and The Sorceror's Apprentice. mblase wants classical music- good luck to him. He also wants Romantic music and Baroque Music, but doesn't want to be greedy. Poor guy. Albert Herring has somewhat sulkily booked Janacek's String Quartets. Serjeant's Muse has booked Peer Gynt. diotina has booked Mendelssohn Violin Concerto and Rhapsody in Blue. When are people going to stop reserving and start noding? Oh well. And, ah, drownzsurf has dibs on Max Reger. caknuck for Zadok the Priest Damn em. I wanted that one. Posmella goes for the wilfully obscure choice of noding the Virginal. Oneiromancer wants Bach Mass in B Minor. bookw56 says Can you reserve Baltimore Symphony Orchestra for me? wampus_cat says Though it's probably not necessary, I'd like to reserve Rutter Requiem for myself . P_I has Children's Corner suite.
Go to the Classical Music Starter Guide
if you're short on ideas, and examples of thorough writeups on this kind of thing can be found here
, and here
Please msg me with your submission title and I'll add you below. My internet access is limited to when I'm at work, so please be patient about getting added to the list.
Here's the deal: whilst the quest closes on the
18th 19th, due to the very high quality of many submissions, I willing to give a week's leeway on stuff that's already been reserved, ok? Submissions that have not been reserved that arrive after then will not be taken, but those I'm expecting will be. Thank you. This avoids people botching jobs to get it in on time, or just dropping it altogether.Thanks.
And they're off!
I am currently preparing for my interview at university, in a town a long way away. This matters to me very much. Service will resume on Wednesday evening, with luck. Yay! I got in! Those few days out were one reason why this quest was so long. Thank for your understanding. Service resumed.
- Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E Minor by diotina
- Le Jongleur de Notre-Dame by Ouroboros
- Walter Gieseking by earthen
- Lepo Sumera by montecarlo. He gets you a job, he is a job. Entertains visiting relatives.
- well-tempered by poliphilo
- Ferdinando Carulli by nuclear
- Romantic minature by a scar faery
- Amahl and the Night Visitors by RubenAzarja
- Peer Gynt by Serjeant's Muse
- Domenico Scarlatti by trotw00d
- clarinet by sloebertje
- Gian Carlo Menotti by RubenAzarja
- Sposa son Disprezzata by hooskies
- Ruben Azarja says Hi Darling, I've submitted The Turn of the Screw. Read this.
- Cornelius Cardew by pottedstu. And this.
- 20th Century Classical Music by haggai
- Wiccanpiper says One more for the quest, Jarmila Novotna. Thanks!
- Dancing Day by swankivy
- Edward MacDowell by drownszurf
- bookw56 says Please add Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
- Alban Berg by haggai
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice by corwin
- The Flying Dutchman by agazade
- Virginal by Posmella
- Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina by Soberty
- Zadok the Priest by caknuck
- kegel says I would like to enter Witold Lutoslawski in the classical music quest.
- Wiccanpiper says Hi Darl, I've just submitted another,Zinka Milanov
- aeschylus says I humbly submit 6-4 chord as an addition to the quest
- Phrasing by tdent -show this noder your love!
- Beethoven Symphony No. 1 by tdent
- Paul Dukas by corwin This and the submission below are both totally thorough.
- Max Reger by drownzsurf
- Prelude by haggai
- Arvo Pärt by haggai
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra by beigs ++
- Cigarettes and Classical Music by haze. This is... ...we-ell.
- Concerto by haggai
- The Swan of Tuonela by chacha
- Pavel Haas by haggai
- minor scale by Footprints. A typically comprehensive offering.
- Alessandro Scarlatti by wampus_cat
- Cleveland Orchestra by Transitional Man
- Canon by koreykruse- evidence that this user rules.
- Claudia Muzio by Wiccanpiper
- spiregrain by Ceremony of Carols
- Musikalisches Opfer by koreykruse
- Organum by Trina
- Claude Debussy by Posmella
- pianoforte by magicmanzach
- Samuel Barber by gitm
- Albinoni Adagio by diotina
- Tomaso Albinoni by diotina
- Beethoven Symphony No. 1 by Heisenberg
- Peking opera by TehBesto
- Biwa by TehBesto
- The Moor's Pavane by cst009
- Antonio Salieri by kthejoker
- Bach Cello Suites by your humble narrator and instigator. Phew.
- Bond by CatherineB
- Antonio Salieri by Haschel47
- modal music by jon-o
- program music by corwin
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5 by mollusc
- Water Music by bookw56
- Herbert Von Karajan by xdjio
- hammered dulcimer by TehBesto
- Tristan Chord by tdent
- Symphony of Sorrowful Songs by freshmint
- Kodaly Missa Brevis br chacha
- Brahms Symphony No. 1 by freshmint
- Classical Music Arsenal by the sleazy, anarchistic, atheistic and all-round deviant Mt. Charles
- Scotch Snap by a scar faery
- Nixon in China by jandradt
- Muzio Clementi by quoi?
- Don Giovanni by liveforever
- Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 by mollusc
- Antonio Vivaldi by zgirll
- Andre Previn by xdjio
- Orlando di Lasso by littlerubberfeet
- Adrian Willaert by littlerubberfeet
- Christoph von Dohnanyi by xdjio
- Leonard Slatkin by xdjio