October 8, 2000
Everything Editor Logs
history | prophecy

A note about the editor logs:

So what are the editor logs about?

The editor logs were first begun by knifegirl. Over the months, most of the editors and E2 gods have now come to post a log listing nodes or writeups they have killed or deleted.

They are not under any kind of obligation to do so, just as they are not obliged to spend any time at all deleting, fixing titles and broken nodes, msging users about typographical and aspelling errors, meeting and encouraging new users, placing exemplerary nodes on the Page of Cool or anything else. In fact, they could just loll about in Chaterbox typing obscenities IN CAPITAL LETTERS and jeering at newbies. But this isn't what we do. Well, some of us occasionally. Nonethless, most of us do a great deal of work here and most of us post a log.

Why?

So that users can find out what happened to a node or writeup that has vanished. Perhaps it is your own node. Perhaps one you like to softlink to or just check out from time to time.

The Page of Cool by its very nature lists nodes cooled by editors and gods and who did so.

Title changes, fixes to Websters' and various broken nodes are so frequent that listing them would make it hard to have enough time to do them.

Consequently, these logs can read like a war memorial with long lists of titles and names of those now lost to the land of the living. And because all of this stuff is tedious and mind-numbing work, we recount our deeds in ways that we find entertaining. For example, although nodegel is a bizarre metaphor for how E2 actually works I find it amusing and ramble on about freegel and hideously misshapen editor and god entities swimming through the gel. Others have metaphors of a somewhat more rational nature.

But the point of these logs is that we take responsibility for our actions. If you see that one of your writeups that you particularly valued was killed by an editor, you can find out who it was and msg them about it. You can then discuss it. If the editor feels he or she made a mistake they can ask a god to bless you for lost XP.

Our primary purpose is to follow the lines that nate and dem bones draw as the owners of E2 and try to help keep E2 a place that actually works. This includes trying to help all of the users who come to play where we work.

Hopefully, the logs make entertaining reading as well.

We serve the gel. The gel is good.

And oh, dem bones of course.

The Crypt renders into freegel:

  • SCSI by fled user SCSIbug. "That's my name don't wear it out."
  • The following fled user accounts are now open to new users through the suggestion of fugitive247:
    • iris
    • slave
    • mars
    • esoteric
    • Armadillo
    • slide
    • smoke
    • skinny
    • liver
    • insidious
    • secret
    • Unicorn
    • weird
  • we shouldn't question the originality of writeups by pealco, by request.
  • Ralph Lauren by fled user mhwang. Nov. 13, 1999.
  • parmesian cheese by apirkle and HCI. And further pointless misspellings by fled users.
  • The Walt Disney Company by Stride, by request.
  • hodgepodge, you are so cool. i wish i had the guts to be you by dg, by request.

Writeups killed:

  • The Effects of Thumb-sucking (someone else's thumb, not your own) by Pondering: "I'm not entirely sure, but after alot of Tequlla I woke up in a Mexican jail with a sore ass. Drawl from that what you will." Off-topic, illiterate. See principiis obsta.

  • evil canadian bunnies on crack by kenata: Aimless rambling. A nodeshell "rescue" doesn't justify worthless non-content like this. I discussed it with kenata before I killed it. I discussed it with kenata after I killed it, right up until he began resorting to obscenities, personally insulting remarks, and wild accusations. kenata considers it important that I didn't help him improve the writeup. Frankly, there was nothing to improve in my opinion. I'm a little bit perplexed by the idea that I'm more responsible for the quality of his writing than he is, and from what I saw of his attitude I doubt that he would have cooperated with any attempt to help him improve the thing.

    After I killed this one, kenata noded a standard-issue Anti-E2 Rant. See Jet-Poop's writeup below. I saved the rant and the original writeup; /msg me if you want to see them. The admirable Jet-Poop misremembers: kenata wanted a consensus of three to five editors for a kill.

    I'm concerned that Jet-Poop may not be getting enough sleep. He's right on target about the crap, though: There are many places on the net where crap is welcomed with open arms, starting with http://127.0.0.1/dev/null and going on from there.

    It's been a day and a half, and still no takers on the rant offer. Go figure.

  • Serbian by beacon (fled): "Someone from Serbia. Not a good thing to be at the moment, I bet." The first half is a "see foo"; no good. The second half is meaningless without the date when it was noded. The date was lost when the node was moved to E2. Bye-bye.

  • Serbia by mhwang: "A country of losers." I hope somebody appreciates the number of cheap shots I forego every day.

Well, kenata chose to replace the writeup that wharfinger rightly deleted in evil canadian bunnies on crack with an angry and off-topic (even for something about "evil canadian bunnies on crack") rant calling for the usual E2 Revolution (among other things, he wanted a consensus of 2-3 editors* before anything could be nuked. Great idea. Let's also have a consensus of 2-3 users before anything can be noded, eh?). Anyway, dannye killed it just before I could, but I zapped the nodeshell and cursed kenata for acting like an asshole. (One thing I do not understand is people who foment revolution over their right to node total crap. Are they that proud of their crap? Couldn't they just migrate to usenet? They really, really want crap over there...)

Killed: writeups by cult_zero in attrition.org, #!w00w00, galf, whoot, el8.org, Paul Vixie, w00lites, w00w00, and w00di. Most were rendered nodeshells and deleted. Deleted user, too. All suggested by ophie, who noted "They're all pretty bad." Ophie has a talent for understatement. Blessed her for suffering through all that stupid l33t-speak...

Deleted Users: jameshome and the famous Guest User.

Update!
Nate informs me that zapping Guest User was a bad, bad, bad thing. It means that no one can get on unless they're already logged-in. Mondo apologies. I've punched myself several times... NEVER, EVER, EVER DELETE GUEST USER, EVEN IF TREGOWETH SEZ SO!

Zapped nodeshells: Let's just say there were several.

Killed: writeups by everyone and IainB in Guns don't kill people. Guns kill every life form. The first was crap and needlessly threatening to other noders. The second mentioned guns once and otherwise talked about a sci-fi novel.

Killed: writeups by everyone, Magenta, and Serpentine in I just figured out how to abuse the new writeups column! With penalty for everyone, with mercy for Magenta and Serpentine. The two followups were just commenting on the original writeup. None of the writeups really told us how to abuse the new writeups column, dadgum it! --suggested by tregoweth.

Killed: everyone's writeups in jennicam, Kobe Tai, and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. Each was just a URL.

Glared at: kolzig's writeup in Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.

Killed:
everyone's writeup in someone is compulsively downvoting me. Suggested by tregoweth. 'Twas crude and rude. Ironic that someone used the everyone account to avoid downvotes on this one...

Stuff I spared: Tregoweth suggested nuking noders I like, but I let it live. I've seen so much worse...

*Like wharfinger sez, 3-5 editors is what he asked for. I was running on my memory. The memory in my tiny little editor's skull! So tiny it is! Look, it's like a teensy-weensy Skittle! Wheee!

Watch your grammar, Folks!

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch!

One of the noders, who shall remain nameless because she is an excellent writer but should, therefore, know better, has made that heinous grammar error that makes an editor's blood boil. She wrote:

"for you and I"

No, no, no, no! The for applies equally to the you and the "I". I'm sure she'd never ever write for I and you, nor just for I, would she. So, why, oh why, would anyone, especially a good writer, commit for you and I into writing?

If it is not clear to anyone by now, it should have said:

"for you and me"

It is only because she is such a good writer, and consistently so, that I have not taken away her red pill and did not feed her the blue pill. Instead, I just /msged her. Had it been anyone else, I would probably not have been so merciful.

Hint, hint: If anyone still does not get it, for you and me is simply a shortcut for "for you and for me", hence the me.

E2 Revolution

Regarding the revolution suggested by kenata and discussed in the above logs, let's not forget: E2 is a revolution!

In any other publication on the entire planet it takes the consensus of 3-5 editors before anything is published. If any one of them says no, the write-up is never published. Oh yes, when it is published, it takes months or even years between the time the author writes it and the publication publishes it.

Plus, in the typical publication, it stays published for about a month, or however long it takes for the next issue of the publication to come out.

On E2, on the other hand, everything is published the moment it is submitted. An editor may never even notice it. A lot of crap that would never smell the ink of any other publication in the known Universe stays published here simply because it got through the editorial cracks unnoticed.

Much of it stays even after an editor has seen it. That happens for the same reason police officers do not go after every single offense they witness: Too many offenders, too few cops. So cops only deal with the serious stuff. So do E2 editors.

Really, the way you should think of write-ups is like this:

  • After a write-up is noded, it is in the slush pile (that is what editors of print publications call the submissions they have not taken a look at yet).
  • If it was deleted or killed, it was rejected for publication (that is what is never printed in other publications).
  • If an editor placed in on Page of Cool, then and only then is it published (that is what would actually make it to print in another publication).

Now, that's revolution!

Today's Housekeeping

  • Purified N by treating WyntrsNyte's see-also write-up with liquid nitrogen.

  • Completely evaporated all write-ups in a node whose title I shall not repeat here. To the best of my knowledge (dating back to my days at Novohradska in the 1960's), this is the worst swearword in any language! That's why I prefer not to perpetuate it here.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.