I was a Mathematics / Computer Science double major at Macalester College until December 18, 2002. I still have to write a capstone for my CS degree, I've had major surgery, been in a car accident, and currently struggle with clinical depression. Now I'm a software engineer who helps program navigation control software for inertial reference systems.
I keep my bookmarks file big because I think big bookmark files are one of the sexiest things ever.
My pseudo-homepage / living biography / blog / contact info is at http://discoflamingo.livejournal.com.
Discoflamingo13's List of the Absolute Shiznittiest Nodes, Bar NoneIf you haven't read these, you should - most of them deserve some serious loving, and the rest are about as loved-out as they're gonna get. If nothing else, funny, witty and/or touching. As usual, YMMV.
- Happy Birthday From Planet Motherfucker<\li>
- Steal Everything (Six by Six)<\li>
- The Golden Arches theory of conflict prevention<\li>
- Packing for Antarctica<\li>
- Napalm sticks to kids<\li>
- I will take one ticket please to whatever you have to say please keep talking<\li>
- My uncle says that smoking crack is kinda cool<\li>
- Murphy's laws of combat<\li>
- Keyser Soze<\li>
- How it is that we stop asking questions<\li>
- The 48 Laws of Power<\li>
- Levels of consciousness<\li>
- Transhumanist Terminology<\li>
- the disease<\li>
- Better the devil you know<\li>
- Restless Legs Syndrome<\li>
- Insomnia (thing)<\li>
- Revelation of the Lamb in Four Parts<\li>
- Martin Heidegger on Building, Dwelling, Thinking.<\li>
- desine fata deum flecti sperare precando<\li>
- Manos, the Hands of Fate<\li>
- Fear makes a man kill what he loves<\li>
- Come sweet slumber enshroud me in thy purple cloak<\li>
- Frozen Fish as a Weapon of Choice<\li>
- Coolidge effect<\li>
- Can of Sprite as a Weapon of Choice<\li>
- The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!<\li>
- Using a Jedi Mind Trick on State Troopers<\li>
- Cap'n Crunch Oops! ChocoDonuts<\li>
- Christmas among the headhunters<\li>
- Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. (idea)<\li>
- I've given up believing in anything but coffee and fishnet stockings<\li>
- She was a committed romantic and an anarcha-feminist. This was hard for her because it meant she couldn't blow up beautiful buildings.<\li>
- How to find Coke at The University of Maryland<\li>
- How come there aren't any recreational suppositories?<\li>
- The Net Peacekeeper's War Stress<\li>
- Useful phrases to know when travelling in Muslim areas<\li>
- The day I became a capitalist swine, hell-bent on gorging on the fruits of slave labour<\li>
- All my favorite people live in this box that I look at every day<\li>
- When you sell a cigarette for a quarter<\li>
- An Essay on Criticism
- We don't write poetry because it's cute
- Problems with E2 user poetry
- I don't rewrite my poetry
- how to begin poetry
- repetition of common words and phrases makes excellent postmodern poetry
- within this robot, your best poetry (node-shell)
- you work a feathered brush of poems over a broken page (node-shell)
- I like the way he reads poetry
- poetry won't pay the rent
- I can't decide if what you're saying is too profound for me to comprehend or just insane.
- any noun can be verbed
- Poetry: Freeform versus Structure (node-shell)
- Public Appreciation of Poetry
- The fact that you make no sense doesn't mean you're an artist
- Songs of Ignorance and Impertinence
- Big words, simple ideas
- Things that rhyme with orange
- In the war between information and poetry, poetry always wins (node-shell)
- The difference between poetry and prose<\li>
- Seven-sided Poem
- I am no poet
- Everything as a poetry anthology
- How to Format Poems and Simple HTML
- basic level categories
Nodes about Movies and Plays
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- That Little Bitch Marla Singer: A Cultural Critique of Sexism in Fight Club
- Dead Man
- Donnie Darko
Node about Mathematics and Informatik
- I don't know what the hell this means, but I'm voting it up anyway
- Have you let Emacs into your heart?
- proof by intimidation
- sleeping barber problem
- Question about infinite monkeys, copyright, and patents
- Infinite Monkey
- Bible Code
- infinite monkeys theorem
- The most elusive type of problem in a C program
- dining philosophers problem
- The math Project
- The Tao of Programming
- Node More Mathematics
- The number you have dialed is imaginary
- Monty Hall problem solution
- Teach Yourself Scheme
- I was never any good at maths at school
- The Arabian contribution to Cryptology
- Lie Algebras
- representations of Lie algebras
- representations of groups
- Lowrey's Law
- Math is a social construct
- Math is not a social construct: Our understanding of math is a social construct
- The Value of a College Degree - Computer Science
- proof by handwaving
- Testing the Infinite Monkeys Theorem
- Minkowski Space
- Arrow's Impossibility Theorem
- Clifford algebra
- Learn to Program
- The Devil's contract problem
- Dining Cryptographers Problem
- Interview questions for OOP programmers
E2 Meta-Nodes that Explain Themselves with Time, if Nothing Else
- Node for the Ages
- The Node Code
- Why are all the best node titles Magic cards?
- Words of advice for young noders
- Showing Everything to my Girlfriend
- One Node to Rule Them All
- Noding for Numbers
- E2 HTML tags
- What level do we learn fireball?
- How to make E2 postcards
- December 3, 2002
- Pick titles carefully
- The problem with nodes condoning drugs
- Clearing Up Some Misconceptions: Donation Box
- Official Everything2 Poem
- Everytime I get XP, I feel like I have to save my game
- Everything I-Ching
- Phrases that you wish you could say in a post
- The secret mission of everything2 is to train us to be reference librarians
- We are all sitting on our asses, simultaneously staring blankly at computer screens all over the world
- The Power Structure of Everything2
- pulling an Asamoth
- thefez haunts the node mountain
- The problem with nodes condoning drugs
- The Great Grand E2 Book Search
- vote tag
- E2 Sarcasm FAQ
- Submissions for the "I'd Rather Be Noding" Bumper Sticker
- I once was a clueless young noder
- The E2 Backstory
- The Node Code
- E2 Translators
- Link and Link
- The perfect node
- Everything Style Guide
- Reference Desk
- E2 lyrics noding standard
- You noders still fucking suck, but your needing my wisdoms bad
- Fight Club and Everything2
- When Everything2 goes mainstream
- The Newbie's Guide to Persuasive Noding
- E2 FAQ: How to Make an Episode Guide
- E2 FAQ: How to cite your sources
- E2 FAQ: When is it okay to node about noding?
- E2 FAQ: What NOT To Do
- E2 FAQ: "Censorship" and "Suggestions"
- E2 FAQ: Copyrighted Material
- E2 FAQ: Assimilating old writeups
- E2 FAQ: Capitalization in nodes
- E2 FAQ: Video Games
- E2 FAQ: Recipes
- E2 FAQ: Noding quotes
- E2 FAQ: Prescription medications
- E2 nuke request etiquette
Nodes about Philosophy, Religion, Spirituality, and None of the Above
- my quick and dirty rule for determining when to talk about religion
- Transhumanist Terminology
- Reading the Holy Bible
- What I do with my philosophy degree
- Ken Wilber
- Richard Matheson
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
- Bible Contradictions
- the Society of the Spectacle
- Suicide is a legitimate option in a case like this.
- spirituality has nothing to do with religion
- You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake
- Even God doesn't have the right to utterly destroy children
- spiritual not religious
- Seven Pillars of Wisdom
- Beware of finding a Jesus entirely congenial to you
- You do not have a right to not be offended
- the plural of anecdote is not data
- A Book of Five Rings
- Holy Shit! You must die to preserve life on Earth as we know it!
- Working for a Car Dealership compromises my soul every day
- Atrocities in the Bible
- Confront the spectacle with its own irrelevance.
- Have you stopped beating your wife?
- Until today, it really pissed me off that I'd become this totally centered Zen Master and nobody had noticed (idea)
- If someone wants to do something and it isn't hurting you...DON'T BE A FUCKING DICK
- Obscenity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers
- Winnie the Pooh Protestantism
- The Tao of Pooh
- Jacob wrestling with the angel
- No, your isolated anecdote is NOT sufficient proof
- Aspects of American society that may be new to you
- Your radical ideas about society, individualism, and religion have already occurred to others
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him
- Skeptic's Annotated Bible
- Every "why" question can be answered by a phrase using the word "idiot"
- We've Replaced Your Freedom with the Illusion of Freedom
- The customs of your tribe are not laws of nature
- Fallen Angels
- A scheme is not a vision
- I have a friend who is always trying to convert me to his religion.
- A Philosopher Asks a Zen Master
- Two Critical Questions
- Beyond Belief: A Buddhist Critique of Christianity
- Beyond Belief: Buddhism - the Logical Alternative
- A comprehensive list of Doomsday Cults and other roving groups of fanatical idiots
- Homosexuality as a sin
- A classic Zen tale
- The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
- implicit anti-Semitism in liberal Christianity
- I was supposed to be somebody by the age of 23
- Wizard's First Rule
- A crazy ideological teenager who still thinks that clear, free, rational thinking can save the world.
- I don't have a problem with Christians, it's Biblical Literalism I can't stand
- Let's face it, the Hebrew Bible is not for wusses
- Don't meddle in that which you have no desire to understand
- neither should be considered superior, but as one way of doing it
- Suicidal teens fucking piss me off
- A battle for consciousness
- Where is your god now?
- The Eightfold Model of Human Consciousness
- Time to gather up the splinters, make a casket for my tears.
- The Age Of Spiritual Machines
- Silly things we believe when we're Grown-ups
- I don't have any secrets. Now ask me if I have any lies.
- attempting to do good but unwittingly serving evil
- Five rules to live by
- Meditation doesn't have to be spiritual
- a conversation with this, that, or the other god
- her eyes were brimming with souls
- If you meet the Buddha on the road, ask him how far it is to the next gas station. *Then* kill him.
- This is the closest you'll ever get to an inspirational message
- If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error
- When too much Dungeons and Dragons changes your religion
- ten grave precepts
- That's the Way I've Always Heard it Should Be
- Are hypothetical questions a valid tool in studying Ethics?
- Saying you'r an agnostic doesn't answer my question
- The List of 250 Natural Highs
- the last cigarette before you quit smoking
- The Origins and History of Consciousness
- How physics defines consciousness
- Levels of consciousness
- Thought ball
- I've been smoking ever since
- Walter Wangerin
- Consciousness Explained
- Boomer Bible
Klaproth likes Tasty Poetry:
Note: This was a node-shell rescue / found node poem for "She says I'm perfect. Why doesn't she fall in love with me?" , or whatever the hell you want to call it, but it was too "cutesy" for E2. I'm still proud of it, so here it sits. Suck it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen die Götter selbst vergebens"
(Want (the state of not having her))
Who cares how pretty your girlfriend is?
Ever fallen in love with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with?
Falling in love with your best friend?
Hey, would you mind if I was infatuated with you for a week?
If we were machines, we'd have the gift of being eternal and I want you to understand
I'm falling in love with you -
Do you love me or are you in love?
I'm not in love.
I'm just saying...
I love you, just not enough.
If I loved you-
if you have to ask you wouldn't understand
what "I love you" doesn't mean
Just before I was gonna say I love you,
I thought you loved me.
With regard to your recent use of the L word,
I wonder when I learned to smile when I was being hurt,
those moments where you can't even cry, you just sit there-
because I've never been able to make anything beautiful-
I think I think too much.
She says I'm perfect. Why doesn't she fall in love with me?
I don't think I would want to date her now, anyway-
there's no room in my life for anyone to stay.
I have come to think my chest is hollow through and through-
I'm fine with that.
Note: Node Poetry, in Motion.