I woke up early this morning and made last minute preparations for my trip to South Plainfield, NJ to visit vees. I am here this weekend so that vees can have a date to his friend's wedding.

Before I left I explored e2 a bit more, and had the opportunity, finally, to speak with nine9. It turns out we have mutual acquaintances and friends, which is hilarious as I picked him out at random from his handle, then enjoyed his writeups, then thought he was cute. The reason we have mutual friends is because I studied abroad at Edinburgh Uni my junior year in college.

Anyhow, the appointed hour came, and I set off, dodging crazy NJ drivers, including traffic weaving trucks!

Finally, I arrived at his place and vees was washing some cars.

I went on irc.slashnet.org on #playadelfuego for a bit, and pet some cats and listened to his loud, mentally disturbed cockatoo for a bit. I was also surprised by another bird who could whistle the theme from the Andy Griffith Show. Then we were off to the Trenton Computer Festival. (which incidentally was in Edison and not Trenton, but I digress).

We browsed about when there and I got 3 games for 5 bucks:

a Deep Space Nine game
Monty Python's complete waste of time
Some weird shoot em up with bizarre art and industrial music

We went to see his ARRL friends, then went on the the keynote speaker, Emmanuel Goldstein of 2600 fame. He was an awesome speaker. He gave a colorful detailed account of his early days as a hacker and the dangerous trends in society and government that have been happening of late. He spoke in particular about the DeCSS script. His main point about the paranoia going on now was that instead of making laws against exposing security flaws, the exposed in question should take the time to make themselves more secure. Restricting information as in the case of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and treating encryption programs like munitions would only seek to stop the progress of greater security measures and inhibit freedom for individuals.

He of course put it more eloquently that that with some amusing anecdotes. For instance he told of his questioning and trial for figuring out that the password for several sensitive government areas and account was the letter "A" back in the Reagan years. That gave me a guffaw to say the least.

He also spoke of sadder incidents of people getting arrested for telling others about hacking incidents that they didn't even do. Talk about paranoid.

Anyhow, this talk was very enlightening and made the show. I got to meet vees' friend Andy as well. One weird show incident was seeing a goat in the flea market outdoor area. That was funny.

We were highly thrilled at one point to see jonlasser's book, Think Unix sitting out on a table among other neato puter books. And just as I has surmised, we found a link in his index and glossary to beer. I do have his book at home, it's just that I hadn't scrutinized it that deeply until right then.

We came back here after the show, had some pizza and Rita's water ice, then went out so I could get a black strapless bra for the wedding tomorrow, as I lost mine. I always lose these sort of bras and end up having to buy more.

On the way back from the mall, we were talking and I found out for the first time, that vees' dad is a minister. I still haven't decided whether or not I'll go to church tomorrow. It kinda weirds me out. I guess with a Dunkin Donuts across the street from here and numerous stores about right near here, I could walk around for a while tomorrow instead. I wonder if there are blue laws here. That would suck.

Maybe I'll see some more Jersey girls. I find them amusing.

We are waiting now for vees' parents so we can go to a diner. Today I've been to a mall, a convention center, and a diner (soon). What a Jersey day.

Just a little over a month until I become a Baltimoron. Yay!