8:04pm

I woke up at about noon and spent most of the day on adcritic and here on e2.

I went to the gym tonight. I almost didn't go because of the cold weather. I didn't want to get out of the gym into 50 degree cold air wearing shorts and a sweaty shirt. Brr. So I compromised and brought along a change of clothes.

I got to the gym and there was a woman cleaning the men's locker room. I thought about just changing anyway, but I didn't feel like causing trouble so I took one of the toilet stalls to change. I dont't really care if some woman who I don't know saw me in my underwear, especially if it's in a men's locker room.

Then something happened for the first time in my life. It wasn't a big thing, but it certianly meant something to me. It's amazing what little things can make a big difference in your self-confidence.

While walking on the treadmill, a very athletic attractive lady chose the treadmill next to me to start running. This wouldn't normally be all that noteworthy, except that usually the treadmill-filling rule at the gym follows the same pattern as the urinal choosing rule in men's restrooms, and there was only one other person using one of over a dozen treadmills. Typically people take every other treadmill until they all fill up, and only then are the ones next to someone used.

You have to keep in mind, that all through high school I was used to people going out of their way to avoid me (I was a geek amongst the gifted students, so effectively a geek of geeks). So after about 5 minutes of running, she goes elsewhere, and so I thought that it was odd that she chose that treadmill, but didn't really think about it too much.

Then about 5 minutes later she comes back to the same treadmill and starts jogging again. I felt kind of socially awkward, as I always do when I'm in a convenient speaking range of someone else, and I'm not saying anything. I didn't want to start a conversation because I couldn't really think of anything to say, especially to someone who looked as good as she did; I'd probably make a fool of myself.

But after a few minutes, she starts a conversation with me. She had looked at the numbers on my treadmill and thought it said I had been running for 14 miles. I told her that it was only 1.4. She asked me how long I had been going there, and I told her about two months. I gave her several opportunities to let the conversation end, but she kept the ball in my court. She apparently was not trying to avoid me; this is a situation I'm not accustomed to. We talked for a few more minutes until I had to get some water (I had forgot to take a drink before starting to work out).

Anyway, the gym was closing so I finished off with some weights. I was actually done with the treadmill - 30 minutes was my target and I had passed that while talking. They were already turning off the lights, so I thought it might be weird for me to go back over and run some more. I hung around for a minute near the front of the gym talking to the attendant, while hoping she would leave so I could say bye. I remembered I left some clothes in the locker room so I went back and go them. On my way out, she was still running, so I figured I'd see her there again sometime.

It really means something to me that an attractive lady comes over to me and starts a conversation. As far as I can recall, that's never happened to me before. It's amazing what little things can change your attitude. And she has no idea how much that meant to me, and how much it has brightened my day/week/month/life.


9:01PM

I got a response back from Sara. Still nothing new. I'm going nuts. Her responses are getting longer, so at least she's spending some time on writing me back. I've got to decide what I'm going to do when she gets back. The time is approaching. I should find out what she's got planned and if she sounds like she's got some free time I'll ask her out.

TC invited me to come along with her and her friends to South Beach tomorrow night. I'll give her a call tomorrow and see if it's still on. I should give CR a call as well and see what he's up to for New Year's.