Background and Info:

Monster.com originated in 1994 as Monsterboard.com and is considered the leading job search site. In January of 1999, TMP Worldwide merged Online Career Center (the internet's first employment site started in 1993), and Jeff Taylor’s Monsterboard.com to form Monster.com. Monster currently has local content and language sites in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Luxembourg, India, and Italy.

Monster allows job seekers to post their resume online for free and have use of the job database. Job seekers can use customizable agents to search for jobs, manage their resumes online, participate in online chats, seek advice from career professionals, post under the monster message boards, research companies and use the Interview Center and the Career Center. Employers posting positions to Monster.com have resume skills screening, real-time recruiting, and the resume database. Monster has expanded their site to include Chief Monster.com geared for senior executives, Campus Monster for recent graduates, Technology Monster for IT professionals, Monster Talent Market for free agents, as well as Monster Moving for help with relocation services.

Monster also has become the first dot com Olympic sponsor. In January 2000, Monster became the first web site to sponsor the 2002 Olympic Winter Games and the 2002 and 2004 U.S. Olympic Teams. Monster is providing financial sponsorship as well as generating a private online career management services to the Salt Lake Organizing Committee, the United States Olympic Committee, and U.S. Olympic Athletes.

Out of 25 blimps worldwide and 10 in the United States, two of which belong to Monster. On the East Coast is the Blimp “Trump” and the West Coast is “Skeeter”, named after two of the monster personalities found on the website.



How to use Monster.com to get a job:

OK, the obvious hints...

Use the pages geared towards your field: technology, sales, legal, etc. MonsterTrack for college students, ChierMonster for executive, Monster Talent Market for free agents. Use the career center, salary calculator, posting boards, chats, talk to career counselors.

The not so obvious hints:

First important thing to do: CREATE A PROFILE.
Most people bitch about making a resume since it takes a while and is a bit confusing. But it’s detailed so it will help you find a better job. Once you take the time to do that (and even copying and pasting your existing resume still takes time) the rest is done for you. Do it and take the time to do it right. An hour or two spent there will save you endless hours searching through job postings randomly.

The key to using monster is to create a resume in their database. It’s free. Employers want to see what’s there. They are looking for people to fill their jobs even as you are looking to fill their postings. Usually an employer will be given free access to the database if they purchase a job package, and they will use it. Recruiters use it, too. And they are not all bad. The most important thing to know about creating a resume is this: updating it. Most people go in, create a resume and then leave it. Which is all fine and good. Until you understand how the searches through that resume database work. When you update your resume, even if you change one space, one word, it gets flagged as an ‘updated’ or ‘new’ resume. When employers and recruiters search through this database, the default option for them is to see only new resumes. So an employer might look for a job with specific qualifications and ignore your resume since it’s not new or if they’ve seen it once. But. They go back, and search for a second, third, fourth posting they have available and never see your resume again. When you update your resume, it will get seen more. Way more. Update it often. Daily if you can. New jobs are added daily, more jobs are searched for daily. Take 5 minutes and change something. Once you take the time to create a profile, you do 5 minutes of work daily and you will have a job sooner than you ever would have hoped for. We’re talking days here, especially in the IT industry.

Second important thing to do: CREATE JOB SEARCH AGENTS.
You can create a few of them. Do so! What happens is you enter in a keyword search and you can receive an email daily of all the jobs that match your search. It’s essentially what you would do if you were looking through jobs. Except this is emailed to you. You get a specific email for every search you create. So if you are looking for a job programming, you create a search agent that looks for anything that matches perl and a second one for SQL. Don’t be too specific in these searches since they eliminate more job postings that will be emailed to you. The email sends you a link to the employer’s web site, you can go, quickly check out the company if the job sounds interesting. Then click the url contained in the email for the posting, and with the resume you created earlier, and in one click you apply for the job and your resume is mailed to the employer. No email, no cover letter, immediate response. Whenever applicable there is even a contact name contained in the posting. Email for more information. Send a txt copy of your resume along to the employer, saying you saw the job on monster.com and applied online but you’re sending an extra copy of your resume along via email...

Of course, there are a million more hints like follow up thank you emails and how to interview etc. But those two key aspects will start your job search off and you’ll be ahead of the million or so other people also using the page.

The Monster Network:

www.monster.be
www.monster.ca
www.monster.co.in
www.monster.co.nz
www.monster.co.uk
www.monster.com
www.monster.com.au
www.monster.com.hk
www.monster.com.sg
www.monster.cz
www.monster.de
www.monster.es
www.monster.fr
www.monster.hu
www.monster.ie
www.monster.it
www.monster.lu
www.monsterboard.nl
www.monsterIndia.com
www.monsterireland.com
www.monsterireland.ie
www.monsteritalia.it
www.monsterjapan.com
www.monsterscotland.co.uk