Charmed is also shown on Ireland's TV3 (who spend an awful lot of money to import popular TV show, e.g. Coronation Street, and buy the rights to events such as international soccer matches and the Champions League, but who make nothing themselves, and also have god-awful sports commentators). It was probably inspired by the film The Craft, which featured the same cover of the Smiths' How Soon Is Now in the soundtrack.

Last I saw, Prue had been killed by a demon, and was to be replaced by a girl called Paige (Rose McGowan), who's actually the three girls' long-lost half-sister, and the daughter of their mother and her White Lighter.

Am I the only one here who finds it amusing that Marilyn Manson's ex-fiancee should star in a show like this?


OK, here's the basic background...

Originally, there were just three sisters, Prue, Piper and Phoebe; and they were very special witches - together they had the "Power Of Three", which helps them vanquish demons. The supernatural community knows them as "The Charmed Ones". They live in a very nice old house in LA (I think, or maybe it's San Francisco...), which has been in their family for years, and they run a bar/nightclub called P3. Also living there are Leo, their "White Lighter" (which is basically a type of angel who can teleport himself around the place and also heal all sorts of wounds) and Cole, who is a half-demon, half-human, constantly at war with his evil demon half (which is called Balthazar). Eventually, Leo gets married to Piper, and Cole ends up seeing Phoebe.

Apart from running the bar, what the girls do is vanquish demons, and protect "innocents". Any time something supernatural happens, it's usually down to a demon, so they consult The Book Of Shadows to find out what demon's behind it all; the book also often gives helpful tips on how to trap or kill the demon.

At the end of series three, Prue gets killed in a battle with The source, who is the "head demon" and the "source of all evil", so at the start of series 4 a new Halliwell sister, Paige is introduced.


Cast list: