An overhand throw, thrown with the forehand grip, which causes the disc to start nearly vertical and finish its flight inverted. Useful for throwing over someone.

Hammer is a demihuman character in the Squaresoft game Xenogears.

He looks something like a rat and something like a camel; if he is based on any actual species at all, the world will never know.

He was a prisoner in Kislev's prison block (D) until Fei Fong Wong and co. won their freedom. Hammer was friends with Rico Banderas in some sense or other.

Hammer's my idea of a kind of tragic hero. He hasn't got a happy ending--his feelings of inadequacy put him in with the wrong people and he ends up a wreck (literally). The moral of the story is never to let a mad scientist take advantage of your low self-esteem.

Infamous quote: "Master, sir, did you just see my MAD SKILLZ?!

Characteristic quote: "I'm different from you all! I'm not special like you!"

Halloween Documents = H = hamster

hammer vt.

Commonwealth hackish syn. for bang on.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

In curling, a rink or Skip is said to have "the hammer" if they will take the last shot of the end. A coin is flipped to determine who has the hammer in the first end; after that, the team that does not score in an end gets the hammer in the next end. In the case of a blank end, the hammer is retained by the team that had it last.

In a close game, winning or losing may be determined by who has the hammer in the final end. A skip will often chose to forgo scoring a single point, and blank an end, in order to retain the hammer.

compiled overview of the 30 ton Hammer 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The leaders and high military commanders of the Free Worlds League have been awaiting the day when the Inner Sphere powers would shift their focus from their mutual Clan enemy to fighting amongst themselves once more. Seeking to be prepared for that day, the Free Worlds League military commissioned Free Worlds Defense Industries to design and produce a BattleMech that could effectively counter the Federated Commonwealth's Valkyrie design.

The Hammer boasts twin Coventry LRM-5s, each with Artemis IV fire control systems for better accuracy. Each LRM launcher is equipped with enough ammunition to launch 24 salvos in combat. Three tried-and-true Martell Medium Lasers complement the LRMs.

The Hammer's top speed of 81 kph matches the top running speed of the Valkyrie. Because the 'Mech was specifically designed to counter the Valkyrie, this was a necessity. The only argument for a lower speed was quickly eliminated when the engineers tested jump jets and found that the stress on the BattleMech's frame was beyond acceptable parameters. Because of that testing, however, the engineers decided to use endo steel. The savings of weight from the infrastructure allowed the placement of more armor over the volatile surfaces on the 'Mech's torso.

The communications system is also a well-tested one: the Datacom 50, in use throughout the Inner Sphere, especially in the Free Worlds League.

The Hammer has proven effective at providing long-range cover fire to companies of lighter 'Mechs who routinely have no substantial missile cover. The Hammer, while not an Archer (commonly used for fire support), can still force an opponent into a disadvantageous position.

The Hammer has been paired with another new design, appropriately known as the Anvil, and together they are being tested in combat simulations on Gibson.

In recent history the Duchy of Andurien has suffered from rebellious officials, pirate raids, and invasions by neighboring forces. Once the Free Worlds League government began to assert its control over the Duchy of Andurien more effectively, the decision was made to fieled test the new 'Mech designs in this arena. All units at the edge of FWL space have been assigned some of the new Hammers.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.
The Hammer Throw is an athletics event, that has been contested in the Olympics since the turn of the 20th century for men, and since 2000 for women. All women throw a 4 kilogram hammer, but high school boys throw a 5.45 kilogram hammer, junior boys throw a 6 kilogram hammer, and open (College and higher) throw a 7.26 kilogram hammer. Including the ball, the handle, and the wire, the length of a hammer is up to 45 inches. The throw is contested out of a 7 foot in diameter throwing circle and the hammer must land between two foul lines which are approximately 34.9 degrees apart. The men's world record is 86.74 meters, set by Yuiry Sedykh in 1986, and the woman's world record is 77.41 meters, set by Tatyana Lysenko in 2005. Technique for the hammer throw generally involves 2 winds and 3 to 4 turns. The thrower starts by performing two winds, where the hammer is swung around the torso and over the head to get the hammer moving. After this, the thrower either performs 3 heel turns, or 1 toe turn and 3 heel turns. Inexperienced throwers may do less then 3 turns, but it is rare to see a thrower do less then 3 turns in competition. A similar event to the hammer is the weight throw

Ham"mer (-mər), n. [OE. hamer, AS. hamer, hamor; akin to D. hamer, G. & Dan. hammer, Sw. hammare, Icel. hamarr, hammer, crag, and perh. to Gr. 'a`kmwn anvil, Skr. açman stone.]

1.

An instrument for driving nails, beating metals, and the like, consisting of a head, usually of steel or iron, fixed crosswise to a handle.

With busy hammers closing rivets up.
Shak.

2.

Something which in form or action resembles the common hammer; as:

(a)

That part of a clock which strikes upon the bell to indicate the hour.

(b)

The padded mallet of a piano, which strikes the wires, to produce the tones.

(c) (Anat.)

The malleus. See under Ear.

(d) (Gun.)

That part of a gunlock which strikes the percussion cap, or firing pin; the cock; formerly, however, a piece of steel covering the pan of a flintlock musket and struck by the flint of the cock to ignite the priming.

(e)

Also, a person or thing that smites or shatters; as, St. Augustine was the hammer of heresies.

He met the stern legionaries [of Rome] who had been the "massive iron hammers" of the whole earth.
J. H. Newman.

Atmospheric hammer, a dead-stroke hammer in which the spring is formed by confined air. --
Drop hammer, Face hammer, etc. See under Drop, Face, etc. --
Hammer fish. See Hammerhead. --
Hammer hardening, the process of hardening metal by hammering it when cold. --
Hammer shell (Zoöl.), any species of Malleus, a genus of marine bivalve shells, allied to the pearl oysters, having the wings narrow and elongated, so as to give them a hammer-shaped outline; -- called also hammer oyster. --
To bring to the hammer, to put up at auction.

 

© Webster 1913


Ham"mer, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hammered (-mərd); p. pr. & vb. n. Hammering.]

1.

To beat with a hammer; to beat with heavy blows; as, to hammer iron.

2.

To form or forge with a hammer; to shape by beating. "Hammered money." Dryden.

3.

To form in the mind; to shape by hard intellectual labor; -- usually with out.

Who was hammering out a penny dialogue.
Jeffry.

 

© Webster 1913


Ham"mer, v. i.

1.

To be busy forming anything; to labor hard as if shaping something with a hammer.

Whereon this month I have been hammering.
Shak.

2.

To strike repeated blows, literally or figuratively.

Blood and revenge are hammering in my head.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Ham"mer, n. (Athletics)

A spherical weight attached to a flexible handle and hurled from a mark or ring. The weight of head and handle is usually not less than 16 pounds.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.