One of the newer enemies of Spiderman. Carnage, like Venom, is a symbiont. He's a combination of an alien life form "suit" on the outside, and a crazy mass murderer human on the inside. What fun! Carnage's alien half is the spawn of Venom's alien half. While Carnage really hates Spiderman, he basically likes killing anything he can, including Venom. The cool thing about Carnage is that his suit has a much less stable look than Venom's. Venom has a nice black suit with a cool white distorted spider thing across the chest, while Carnage's suit is crazy blend of constantly flowing black and red that shoots right off of the human form in little tendrils. The suit can be used for all kinds of great things: Stuff gets stored by disappearing into it, you can mimic complicated things like clothing, and can also create big axe like weapons for chopping our friendly neighborhood Spiderman in half. Sweet.

A character in the Marvel Comics universe. Cletus Kasady, the human half of Carnage, first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #345, and Carnage himself first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #360.

Cletus Kasady probably killed his parents in a fire that sent him to an orphanage, but this has only been implied. Once at the orphanage, he was bullied mercilessly and abused by the caretakers. After all of that, he grew up to be a serial killer. He was serving multiple life sentences when he met up with Eddie Brock (aka Venom). They were cellmates while Eddie's symbiote seemed to be dead. When it broke him out of prison, it left behind its spawn, which Kasady found and bonded with.

Since this symbiote was spawned on Earth, it has slightly different abilities than Venom's. Carnage is stronger and faster than Venom. He doesn't set off Spider-Man's spider-sense, an ability that the symbiote inherited from the Venom symbiote. He is also able to shoot projectiles made of his symbiote, which are generally pointy things. He has a weakness to fire and such, but not to sonics, like Venom.

Using his symbiote, Kasady racked up a kill count in the hundreds. He was responsible for the 'Maximum Carnage' storyline, where he teamed up with four other bad guys to wreak havoc. They rampaged through New York City, killing dozens and setting off riots. Carnage was stopped and sent to Ravencroft, a maximum security mental hospital, where he was kept using microwaves. His symbiote could not be seperated from him because it became a part of his bloodstream. When he escaped, he was put in a silver shell of energy by the Silver Surfer, which he has since gotten out of.

Venom came and absorbed the Carnage symbiote while Kasady was imprisoned once again in Ravencroft. He also took out all the guards, allowing Cletus to escape again. Kasady is still at large, which is surprising, because it was revealed that he has an advanced case of stomach cancer that his symbiote keeps in check. Since he currently does not have the symbiote, you would think he would die. That's comics for you.

The title of the first and only videogame I made, back in high school. Not knowing any programming language, and seeing the success of Myst, I got down to work with Hypercard. The thing is, I absolutely wanted this game to be a first-person shooter, which is kind of an odd thing to do with Hypercard. However, including graphics and sound was really easy and even if I never finished the game, it was a lot of fun to play.

The opening screen was a badly mouse-drawn picture of a countryside landscape with a cute rabbit near a flower. The word 'Carnage' was printed in pink cursive letters on the blue sky, under a radiant sun. A cute piano tune was being played until the player clicked the mouse; then the screen would change to a close-up view of a gatling gun surrounded with lightnings, and an AC/DC song would play. After a short introduction in which two narrators would simultaneously tell two different stories, the player would then enter a giant mecha and go intrude an enemy base.

When playing, the interface was rather simple but quite appropriate: a Mindscape-like (see Deja-Vu, Uninvited, Shadowgate, etc.) navigation system was used for displacements, a 'screen' zone would show the outside of the mecha, a text field would present advices from the on-board computer (which was really a bully, always advocating brute force), and two buttons. The first was a 'scan' button, which when pressed would show additionnal information about the environment outside the mecha; the second was a 'fire' button.

Upon pressing the fire button, the screen zone would turn black and the text field would says 'shield up during gun operation'. The player would then hear an incredible gunning sound which I made with my own mouth, and the black screen would then usually reveal a completely destroyed (and quite often blood-painted) room. What a nifty trick!

For each room, there was two looks possible, shiny new and totally wrecked, and global variables would keep track of the state of each room when entering them. When navigating through the ennemy base, the mecha would make three loud thumps, directly taken from the exoskeleton scene at the end of Aliens: the Return.

There was an infinite amount of ammo, and as I said before, the player was encouraged to use it all. The player would die if he did not press the fire button soon enough when there was enemies. However, always pressing fire as the on-board computer suggested would often result in death too, since essential actions involving thought were required, too, such as taking the transparent red plastic strip to read a top secret document with red stripes all over it.

God this game was great. I wanted the final screen to picture the rabbit in the opening screen, with fierce looking eyes, eating the flower. Sometimes I wish I was I game designer instead of a boring engineer.

Car"nage (?), n. [F. carnage, LL. carnaticum tribute of animals, flesh of animals, fr. L. caro, carnis, flesh. See Carnal.]

1.

Flesh of slain animals or men.

A multitude of dogs came to feast on the carnage. Macaulay.

2.

Great destruction of life, as in battle; bloodshed; slaughter; massacre; murder; havoc.

The more fearful carnage of the Bloody Circuit. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.