In bowling, to knock down all ten pins on the first ball bowled (thus achieving the highest score possible on that frame). Note that, while in baseball and labor relations a strike is bad, in bowling a strike is always to be desired.

A strike is indicated on the scorecard by an X in the top right hand corner. Its score is ten points, plus the total of the next two balls (whether the next two balls comprise one frame or two). For example, should I bowl

  • A strike, then 7-2 on the next frame:
    I score 19 (10+7+2) for the strike frame, and 9 (7+2) for the second frame.
  • A strike, strike, 0-4:
    I score 20 (10+10+0) for the first frame, 14 (10+0+4) for the second frame, and 4 for the third frame.
  • A strike, strike, strike, 9-0:
    (Well, first of all, if this happens, my game got a lot better... :-) )
    I score 30 (10+10+10); 29 (10+10+9); 19 (10+9+0); and 9.

Two strikes in a row is known as a double, three strikes is known as a turkey; four strikes as a four-bagger.

Strike:

The action of removing the set from a stage after the last performance of a play. Generally refers to removing the furniture, properties, scenery, lights, and sound gear.

This ritual is usually accompanied by a traditional party held either at a cast members house, or the nearest bar and Grill.

There are almost as many striking methods as there are martial arts. Martial arts differ on even the essentials. One very heated argument: whether a fist should be executed horizontally (common in Karate, boxing, and most modern styles) or vertically (common in Wing Tsun, some Japanese and Chinese styles, and boxing around the turn of the century {From Si-Gung Keith Kernspecht's book On Single Combat}).

Some martial arts, such as phoenix-eye style (Chuka Shaolin), employ only a certain type of strike. In Chuka, for instance, only the phoenix-eye fist is employed, which is made by making a fist and then extending the first knuckle of the middle finger for use as a pressure point weapon.

Most striking methods in most martial arts follow the same basic tenet:

"Use hard to hit soft, and use soft to hit hard."

The meaning behind this axiom is that the key to successful striking is to internally damage the opponent. For instance, when striking the stomach or throat, which are soft areas, a fist or knife-hand should be employed because these will achieve greater penetration. Here, penetration does not imply that the skin is broken.

In contrast, if one is to hit the head, a punch would very likely damage one's own hand more than the target. Therefore, when striking the head, a palm strike is employed. This becomes more important in the later levels, when one can cause internal rupturing or unconsciousness through the transfer of vibration; when employing this technique, a greater surface area of contact means a better transfer of energy. Thus, the palm works better than the fist. Penetration is not the key, here; rather, delivery of a mushroom-shaped vibrating force that passes through the opponent.

A strike is the act of witholding labor in protest of conditions or wages. Jimmy Hoffa turned going on strike into an art form - using the leverage of unions to negotiate better working conditions, benefits and assigned hours for the Teamsters in the United States. A somewhat modern idea, the term came about when sailors refused to go to sea due to exceedingly poor conditions. The sailors would strike (lower) the sails while still in port - forcing the captain to either have them all shot or stock up on some tack that isn't spoiled.

'Strike' has since come to mean a general witholding of X - see tax strike, rent strike. Other examples of strikes include wildcat strike or general strike.



Also - an HTML mark-up that will 'strike out' text. This sentence, for example, is stricken. To use this tag simply place <strike> before the text you'd like stricken and </strike> afterwards.

Also also - an adjective describing a type of aircraft which is used to attack ground targets. e.g. "The A-10 Thunderbolt is a strike aircraft."

Baseball: A pitch that passes through the strike zone, or that is swung at and missed. Foul balls are counted as strikes, provided that the batter has fewer than two strikes. If the batter receives three strikes, he has struck out.

The Official Rules of Major League Baseball section 2.00 states:
A STRIKE is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire, which...
(a) Is struck at by the batter and is missed;
(b) Is not struck at, if any part of the ball passes through any part of the strike zone;
(c) Is fouled by the batter when he has less than two strikes;
(d) Is bunted foul;
(e) Touches the batter as he strikes at it;
(f) Touches the batter in flight in the strike zone; or
(g) Becomes a foul tip.

Once a batter has recieved one, two, three strikes, he is out. If, however, the catcher is unable to trap the ball following the third strike, and first base is open, the runner may make a mad dash for first base, hoping to get there before the catcher can find the ball and throw to first. Even if the batter does reach safely, the pitcher is still credited with a strikeout.

A strike is signalled by the umpire standing behind the catcher at home plate, called the umpire in chief, or more commonly the plate umpire.

The umpire typically signals that a ball is a strike by pivoting to his left and pointing or jabbing his right arm in a demonstrative fashion. If he is still crouched behind the plate, the umpire will typically begin to stand during the motion. If the umpire is already standing by the time he makes the call, he may instead extend his right leg and kneel slightly as he points. If the strike was particularly forceful or impressive, especially if it resulted in a strikeout, the umpire may choose to precede the right-arm thrust with a left-arm thrust, thus producing a "punch 'em out" effect.

In all cases the gesture is accompanied by some sort of noise. This can be a simple grunt, a clipped, drill-seargant yell of "Huyk", or even an elucidated, obnoxious "Steeeeee-riiiike", which may be followed by the strike count if you are Leslie Neilsen.

No motion or sound should accompany a pitch that is not a strike. The umpire should merely stand and relax while the pitcher and batter go through their elaborate pre-pitch rituals of spitting, staring, bat-swinging, glove- and crotch-adjusting, chest-crossing, bat-kissing, etc.

If the umpire wishes to drive the fans into a murderous frenzy he can, after a pitch has been thrown to the home team's batter, choose to stand and look around idly for a bit, causing the fans to think the pitch was a ball, and then call the pitch a strike in the manner described above.

Upon the request of the batter, pitcher, or catcher the umpire may signal the count of balls and strikes on the fingers of his left and right hands. If the fans, displeased by the strike calls and the manner in which they are made, have begun cursing and throwing beer bottles at the umpire, it is still not acceptable for him to signal a count of "one and one" with his middle fingers.

Strike (?), v. t. [imp. Struck (?); p. p. Struck, Stricken (&?;) (Stroock (&?;), Strucken (&?;), Obs.); p. pr. & vb. n. Striking. Struck is more commonly used in the p. p. than stricken.] [OE. striken to strike, proceed, flow, AS. strIcan to go, proceed, akin to D. strijken to rub, stroke, strike, to move, go, G. streichen, OHG. strIhhan, L. stringere to touch lightly, to graze, to strip off (but perhaps not to L. stringere in sense to draw tight), striga a row, a furrow. Cf. Streak, Stroke.]

1.

To touch or hit with some force, either with the hand or with an instrument; to smite; to give a blow to, either with the hand or with any instrument or missile.

He at Philippi kept
His sword e'en like a dancer; while I struck
The lean and wrinkled Cassius.
Shak.

2.

To come in collision with; to strike against; as, a bullet struck him; the wave struck the boat amidships; the ship struck a reef.

3.

To give, as a blow; to impel, as with a blow; to give a force to; to dash; to cast.

They shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two sideposts.
Ex. xii. 7.

Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow.
Byron.

4.

To stamp or impress with a stroke; to coin; as, to strike coin from metal: to strike dollars at the mint.

5.

To thrust in; to cause to enter or penetrate; to set in the earth; as, a tree strikes its roots deep.

6.

To punish; to afflict; to smite.

To punish the just is not good, nor strike princes for equity.
Prov. xvii. 26.

7.

To cause to sound by one or more beats; to indicate or notify by audible strokes; as, the clock strikes twelve; the drums strike up a march.

8.

To lower; to let or take down; to remove; as, to strike sail; to strike a flag or an ensign, as in token of surrender; to strike a yard or a topmast in a gale; to strike a tent; to strike the centering of an arch.

9.

To make a sudden impression upon, as by a blow; to affect sensibly with some strong emotion; as, to strike the mind, with surprise; to strike one with wonder, alarm, dread, or horror.

Nice works of art strike and surprise us most on the first view.
Atterbury.

They please as beauties, here as wonders strike.
Pope.

10.

To affect in some particular manner by a sudden impression or impulse; as, the plan proposed strikes me favorably; to strike one dead or blind.

How often has stricken you dumb with his irony!
Landor.

11.

To cause or produce by a stroke, or suddenly, as by a stroke; as, to strike a light.

Waving wide her myrtle wand,
She strikes a universal peace through sea and land.
Milton.

12.

To cause to ignite; as, to strike a match.

13.

To make and ratify; as, to strike a bargain.

⇒ Probably borrowed from the L. fœdus ferrire, to strike a compact, so called because an animal was struck and killed as a sacrifice on such occasions.

14.

To take forcibly or fraudulently; as, to strike money. [Old Slang]

15.

To level, as a measure of grain, salt, or the like, by scraping off with a straight instrument what is above the level of the top.

16. (Masonry)

To cut off, as a mortar joint, even with the face of the wall, or inward at a slight angle.

17.

To hit upon, or light upon, suddenly; as, my eye struck a strange word; they soon struck the trail.

18.

To borrow money of; to make a demand upon; as, he struck a friend for five dollars. [Slang]

19.

To lade into a cooler, as a liquor. B. Edwards.

20.

To stroke or pass lightly; to wave.

Behold, I thought, He will . . . strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper.
2 Kings v. 11.

21.

To advance; to cause to go forward; -- used only in past participle. "Well struck in years." Shak.

To strike an attitude, To strike a balance. See under Attitude, and Balance. --
To strike a jury (Law), to constitute a special jury ordered by a court, by each party striking out a certain number of names from a prepared list of jurors, so as to reduce it to the number of persons required by law. Burrill. --
To strike a lead.
(a) (Mining) To find a vein of ore.
(b) Fig.: To find a way to fortune. [Colloq.] --
To strike a ledger, or an account, to balance it. --
To strike hands with.
(a) To shake hands with. Halliwell.

(b) To make a compact or agreement with; to agree with. --
To strike off.
(a) To erase from an account; to deduct; as, to strike off the interest of a debt.
(b) (Print.) To impress; to print; as, to strike off a thousand copies of a book.
(c) To separate by a blow or any sudden action; as, to strike off what is superfluous or corrupt. --
To strike oil, to find petroleum when boring for it; figuratively, to make a lucky hit financially. [Slang, U.S.] --
To strike one luck, to shake hands with one and wish good luck. [Obs.] Beau. & Fl. --
To strike out.
(a) To produce by collision; to force out, as, to strike out sparks with steel.
(b) To blot out; to efface; to erase. "To methodize is as necessary as to strike out." Pope.

(c) To form by a quick effort; to devise; to invent; to contrive, as, to strike out a new plan of finance.
(d) (Baseball) To cause a player to strike out; -- said of the pitcher. See To strike out, under Strike, v. i. --
To strike sail. See under Sail. --
To strike up.
(a) To cause to sound; to begin to beat. "Strike up the drums." Shak.

(b) To begin to sing or play; as, to strike up a tune.
(c) To raise (as sheet metal), in making diahes, pans, etc., by blows or pressure in a die. --
To strike work, to quit work; to go on a strike.

 

© Webster 1913


Strike (?), v. i.

To move; to advance; to proceed; to take a course; as, to strike into the fields.

A mouse . . . struck forth sternly [bodily].
Piers Plowman.

2.

To deliver a quick blow or thrust; to give blows.

And fiercely took his trenchant blade in hand,
With which he stroke so furious and so fell.
Spenser.

Strike now, or else the iron cools.
Shak.

3.

To hit; to collide; to dush; to clash; as, a hammer strikes against the bell of a clock.

4.

To sound by percussion, with blows, or as with blows; to be struck; as, the clock strikes.

A deep sound strikes like a rising knell.
Byron.

5.

To make an attack; to aim a blow.

A puny subject strikes
At thy great glory.
Shak.

Struck for throne, and striking found his doom.
Tennyson.

6.

To touch; to act by appulse.

Hinder light but from striking on it [porphyry], and its colors vanish.
Locke.

7.

To run upon a rock or bank; to be stranded; as, the ship struck in the night.

8.

To pass with a quick or strong effect; to dart; to penetrate.

Till a dart strike through his liver.
Prov. vii. 23.

Now and then a glittering beam of wit or passion strikes through the obscurity of the poem.
Dryden.

9.

To break forth; to commence suddenly; -- with into; as, to strike into reputation; to strike into a run.

10.

To lower a flag, or colors, in token of respect, or to signify a surrender of a ship to an enemy.

That the English ships of war should not strike in the Danish seas.
Bp. Burnet.

11.

To quit work in order to compel an increase, or prevent a reduction, of wages.

12.

To become attached to something; -- said of the spat of oysters.

13.

To steal money. [Old Slang, Eng.] Nares.

To strike at, to aim a blow at. --
To strike for, to start suddenly on a course for. --
To strike home, to give a blow which reaches its object, to strike with effect. --
To strike in.
(a) To enter suddenly.
(b) To disappear from the surface, with internal effects, as an eruptive disease.
(c) To come in suddenly; to interpose; to interrupt. "I proposed the embassy of Constantinople for Mr. Henshaw, but my Lord Winchelsea struck in." Evelyn.

(d) To join in after another has begun,as in singing. --
To strike in with, to conform to; to suit itself to; to side with, to join with at once. "To assert this is to strike in with the known enemies of God's grace." South. --
To strike out.
(a) To start; to wander; to make a sudden excursion; as, to strike out into an irregular course of life.
(b) To strike with full force.
(c) (Baseball) To be put out for not hitting the ball during one's turn at the bat. --
To strike up, to commence to play as a musician; to begin to sound, as an instrument. "Whilst any trump did sound, or drum struck up." Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Strike (?), n.

1.

The act of striking.

2.

An instrument with a straight edge for leveling a measure of grain, salt, and the like, scraping off what is above the level of the top; a strickle.

3.

A bushel; four pecks. [Prov. Eng.] Tusser.

4.

An old measure of four bushels. [Prov. Eng.]

5.

Fullness of measure; hence, excellence of quality.

Three hogsheads of ale of the first strike.
Sir W. Scott.

6.

An iron pale or standard in a gate or fence. [Obs.]

7.

The act of quitting work; specifically, such an act by a body of workmen, done as a means of enforcing compliance with demands made on their employer.

Strikes are the insurrections of labor.
F. A. Walker.

8. (Iron Working)

A puddler's stirrer.

9. (Geol.)

The horizontal direction of the outcropping edges of tilted rocks; or, the direction of a horizontal line supposed to be drawn on the surface of a tilted stratum. It is at right angles to the dip.

10.

The extortion of money, or the attempt to extort money, by threat of injury; blackmailing.

Strike block (Carp.), a plane shorter than a jointer, used for fitting a short joint. Moxon. --
Strike of flax, a handful that may be hackled at once. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.] Chaucer. --
Strike of sugar. (Sugar Making)
(a) The act of emptying the teache, or last boiler, in which the cane juice is exposed to heat, into the coolers.
(b) The quantity of the sirup thus emptied at once.

 

© Webster 1913


Strike (?), n.

1.

A sudden finding of rich ore in mining; hence, any sudden success or good fortune, esp. financial.

2. (Bowling, U. S.)

Act of leveling all the pins with the first bowl; also, the score thus made. Sometimes called double spare.

3. (Baseball)

Any actual or constructive striking at the pitched ball, three of which, if the ball is not hit fairly, cause the batter to be put out; hence, any of various acts or events which are ruled as equivalent to such a striking, as failing to strike at a ball so pitched that the batter should have struck at it.

4. (Tenpins)

Same as Ten- strike.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.