It's All in Your Head

Eve 6 album released in 2003. They cover several genres with these songs, from a lyrical-folksy ballad, standard rock, and punk rock. This CD has a more mature sound than their earlier stuff, and each song has its own unique appeal, whether it be in the catchiness of the tunes, the poetic-emotional-angsty lyrics, or the particularly soul-stirring combination of both in "Hey Montana". The cover art for the album is rather interesting, too (a headless man...well, it can't be all in your head if you've lost your head, eh?).

Track listing:
  1. Without You Here 2:23
  2. Think Twice 3:43
  3. At Least We're Dreaming 4:08
  4. Still Here Waiting 2:15
  5. Good Lives 4:26
  6. Hey Montana 5:04
  7. Bring the Night On 3:32
  8. Friend of Mine 3:33
  9. Girlfriend 4:11
  10. Not Gonna Be Alone Tonight 3:46
  11. Hokis 3:31
  12. Arch Drive Goodbye 4:06

It's all in your head, luckily

Now a large meta-study (= a statistical analysis of a large number of previously performed clinical tests) has made the media, because it shows that the effectiveness doubts are indeed justified: the SSRI pills rarely perform better than placebo (Kirsch I, et al: Initial Severity and Antidepressant Benefits: A Meta-Analysis of Data Submitted to the Food and Drug Administration; PloS Medicine. Vol 2, No. 2).

This may be an interesting topic, in itself. But that is not what caught my eye in the report. Rather, it was the fact that in the cases where SSRI pills showed significantly better antidepressant effects than placebo (which happened with very severely depressed patients), then the control group (the severely depressed patients who had received the "fake pills", the placebo) didn't actually show any placebo effect at all. So the placebo effect can be turned off! This is a truly startling result, with far-reaching consequences, above all philosophical ones. In all tests of pharmaceuticals, even of surgical procedures, the control group (the ones who receive "fake" pills or are submitted to "fake" procedures) always get better as well. This is the ubiquitous placebo effect, constantly haunting medical researchers. Nobody knows how the placebo effect works, but everybody knows that it truly works and that it can be truly significant. The new SSRI pill meta-study shows that the placebo effect is indeed (mostly) present even in this case. But -- in patients with very severe depression, there is no longer any placebo effect. Severely depressed patients who receive "fake" pills don’t get any better, while all moderately depressed patients got significantly better from their placebo pills. To me this presents conclusive evidence that the old saying "it's all in your head" is literally true. Severely depressed people, whose "heads" are no longer working properly, don't have the mental power of combating illness. This may sound depressing, but in fact the reverse is true. It finally demonstrates that our sound minds DO HAVE a healing power over our unwell bodies. Because if something can be turned off, then this very fact proves its physical existence -- you can't turn off nothingness. So the placebo effect is not magic, not an "act of God", just a consequence of our marvellously well-designed brains, of evolution. We suspected this all along, of course. But now it has at last been scientifically demonstrated.

 

 

It's all in your head 

 

He told me this

repeatedly 

When I mentioned something about

the text messages on his phone or

notes he left in his pockets

 

It's all in your head

is what he said when I pointed out his drinking problem,

his hangovers or

his DWIs

plural 

 

It's not real, he said

feigning interest,  I suspect

when I told him I was past depressed

past unhappy

completely miserable 

 

Of course,  it wasn't in my head

it was in my chest

all along 

 

 

 

 

 

,

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.