Some people seem to have their self-esteem completely dependent on whether they're in a relationship or not. Others just think they can't handle the world alone. For whatever reason, some people fall into relationships with people who are completely wrong for them.

I don't get it.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but isn't it better to be alone than to be with someone who will break your spirit? Sure, you may have bouts of loneliness, but which is worse: being trapped in an unhealthy relationship, or being alone and having the option to look for somebody who will enrich your life?

Getting into a relationship just for the sake of being in a relationship is a bad idea. Take responsibility for your own happiness.

There is a difference between love and dependence.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop now.


Eraser_: I couldn't agree more. Of course you need to take chances. It's when you do it for the wrong reasons you'll have trouble. If you genuinely think a relationship could work out, or even if you're not sure, but you think you'd be better off trying, by all means, go ahead. But if you're just doing it out of fear of being alone or fear of being lonely, then you need to improve your relationship with yourself before looking for a relationship with someone else. (Psychobabble, I know, but I think it makes sense).

Well there is a simple solution so few people take. If you are in a bad relationship, get out. Easier said then done i know. I would rather experiment with people, have some ups and downs, then just be alone. If you look at the world as though everyone is out to break your spirit, then you will never find the one you are looking for. Sure breaking up with a mildly good SO will be tough for a few days, but getting out of an unhealthy relationship should be the easiest of all.

Now how people can stay in abusive relationships (or lack thereof) is beyond me. Maybe they grow dependant. But you have to take the chance to have a relationship. Like it or not having a relationship doesn't have to be with someone you are formally dating. In looking for that special someone you will get into many relationships. They might not be the go out and get married kind, but through talking, and finding out if that person is "right" or not, you have just had a relationship with them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.