Cloves used to be, and probably still are, used as a primitive sort of breath mint. When burned, they give off a strong smelling, dense smoke. This makes cloves the perfect additive for cigarettes.

Clove cigarettes were called Krektels by their inventors, since they crackle as the ground cloves in them explode as they are burned.

Sampoerna makes some fine clove cigarettes that are widely loved by goths.

Eugenia caryophyllata

Almost always refered to in plural, a clove is the small dried flower bud of an aromatic evergreen tree that is native to the Molucca Islands, and is grown today in many hot countries. It is a small tree which divides into long branches. The leaves are large, brilliant green, and tend to be extremely fragrent when crushed. The flowers are found at the tip of each branch. The flower petals are blue in colour. The seeds are large and oval in shape.

Cloves have many medicinal qualities. Clove oil will stop a *toothache when it is applied directly to the cavity. The warm stimulating effect of clove oil is also very useful with people who have cold extremities. Cloves will promote sweating with fevers, colds, and flu, and are often used in remedies for whooping cough. Cloves are also safe and effective for relieving vomiting during pregnancy. Unlike some other herbs they will not cause harm to the baby.

Cloves are commonly used in cooking, and herbal tea such as chai. They are also used in clove cigarettes (duh!). Can be found as an added ingredient to mouthwash, and clove oil can be used as an anaesthetic, germicidal, or as insect repellent. They are also a favourite ingredient in many mulled wines.

Cloves are said to have religious qualities too. Worn in an amulet they are said to drive away negativity, hostility, and stop gossip. They are also carried by some to stimulate the memory, and can be a component in love spells. Clove oil can be worn as an aphrodisiac, and if eaten whole the buds are said to stir up bodily lusts. Cloves can be combined with mint and rose to chase away melancholy, and to help a person sleep soundly. They are also said to bring comfort to the bereaved and mourning.

You can purchase whole or ground cloves from the spice section of any grocery store, health food store, or herbal supplier. Clove oil is also readily available.

*I have found from experience that adding a clove or two to a mug of black tea works miracles on a toothache, or a headache caused by teeth problems (including ever stubborn wisdom teeth). Tastes fantastic too!

Clove Essential Oil

Fragrant, pungent, warming, stimulating - all these words describe this spicy and versatile essential oil. Long used in aromatherapy to relieve pain, it is also an uplifting oil with a delightful scent.

Its use in treating toothache and mouth ulcers is well known and documented, but it is also used topically to relieve general aches and pains, and in evaporators and diffusers to reduce tension and improve concentration. Clove oil is occasionally used in preparations to treat digestive problems, too, and (when used with citrus oils) is an effective insect repellent!

For general pain relief, clove oil is used at three drops to 25ml of base oil, or a few drops added to a bath.

To lift the spirits, blend with cinnamon, orange, nutmeg or vanilla oils. Using this warming blend in an evaporator will soon fill the room and relieve winter blues. It has been used when treating people with mild SAD.

The active ingredients are: eugenol, eugenyl acetate, caryophyllene and isocaryophyllene. Many of these will irritate mucous membranes or sensitive skin, so great care must be taken.

Warnings. The oil should not be used if skin is sensitive or broken, and never undiluted - you must always use a base oil such as almond. Additionally, you should avoid it if you suffer from alcoholism, haemophilia, prostatic cancer, kidney or liver problems, and if taking anticoagulants.

Aromatherapy is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. If you have a health condition, consult your physician. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, consult your doctor before using any aromatherapy products. Do not take essential oils internally. Keep essential oils and all aromatherapy products out of the reach of children. - http://www.celestialtouch.com




http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoilsaf/clovebud.asp
http://www.celestialtouch.com/eopclove.html

The clove is the dried unopened flower bud from an evergreen tree. A small, pyramidal, trunk soon divides into large branches covered with a smooth grayish bark; leaves large, entire, oblong, lanceolate (always bright green colour), which stand in pairs on short foot-stalks, when bruised very fragrant. Flowers grow in bunches at end of branches.

Cloves grow most commonly in Southern Philippines and Molucca Islands, though the finest cloves come from Molucca and Pemba, where the trees grow better than anywhere else, but they are also imported from the East and West Indies, Mauritius and Brazil. Their botanical name is Eugenia Caryophyllata (from the N.O. Myrtaceae family). Nomen number: 50069 and their scientific name (Genus) is Syzygium. Translations: Dutch: kruidnagel, Latin: cariofilum, Maluco: chanque, Hindi: lavang, Kashmiri: rong, Tamil: krambu, French: girofle or clous aromatiques, German: gewurznelken.

The clove has been used in India and China, for over 2000 years as a spice to check both tooth decay and counter halitosis. In India it is also used as a folk medicine for diabetes. In Persia and China, it was considered to have aphrodisiac properties.

In ayurveda, cloves are considered to enhance circulation, digestion and metabolism and help counter stomach disorders such as gas, bloating and nausea. The essential oil of clove is used as an ingredient in oral hygiene products to promote tooth health and freshen the breath. The clove contributes the pungent and astringent tastes. Cloves help pacify Vata and Kapha and increases the Pitta dosha's.

Cloves are used both whole and ground in ayurvedic cooking. Whole cloves sautéed in Ghee with other spices such as cinnamon, bay leaves and peppercorns enhance the flavor of rice and pilafs. Cloves are an essential ingredient in curry powders and combine well with other ayurvedic spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, cumin and coriander.

Clove oil (Syzygium Aromaticum or Caryophyllus Aromaticus L.) is used in the manufacture of perfumes, soaps, and bath salts and as a flavouring agent (and also for its analgesic properties, according to Albert Herring) in medicine and dentistry.

Clove (?),

imp. of Cleave. Cleft.

Spenser.

Clove hitch Naut. See under Hitch. -- Clove hook Naut., an iron two-part hook, with jaws overlapping, used in bending chain sheets to the clews of sails; -- called also clip hook.

Knight.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clove, n. [D. kloof. See Cleave, v. t.]

A cleft; a gap; a ravine; -- rarely used except as part of a proper name; as, Kaaterskill Clove; Stone Clove.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clove, n. [OE. clow, fr. F. clou nail, clou de girofle a clove, lit. nail of clove, fr. L. clavus nail, perh. akin to clavis key, E. clavicle. The clove was so called from its resemblance to a nail. So in D. kruidnagel clove, lit. herb-nail or spice-nail. Cf. Cloy.]

A very pungent aromatic spice, the unexpanded flower bud of the clove tree (Eugenia, ∨ Caryophullus, aromatica), a native of the Molucca Isles.

Clove camphor. Chem. See Eugenin. -- Clove gillyflower, Clove pink Bot., any fragrant self-colored carnation.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clove, n. [AS. clufe an ear of corn, a clove of garlic; cf. cleofan to split, E. cleave.]

1. Bot.

One of the small bulbs developed in the axils of the scales of a large bulb, as in the case of garlic.

Developing, in the axils of its skales, new bulbs, of what gardeners call cloves. Lindley.

2.

A weight. A clove of cheese is about eight pounds, of wool, about seven pounds.

[Prov. Eng.]

Halliwell.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.