I was down to the last 50¢ on my MetroCard, so even though the 6 train was just arriving as I got to the subway stand after work, I had to skip it to refill my card. So I waited for the next train; it turned out to be one of the brand-new ones, a contrast to the train I missed, which was one of the older models in the system (I think they're called Redbirds).

I'd seen the new trains being tested, throughout the summer and fall, on the test tracks of the 5 line, above 180th Street, and looked forward to actually riding them, since the city had graciously proposed to replace the oldest-of-the-fleet cars that most riders of the 5 and 6 must endure on a daily basis. But it seemed like it would take forever for the new ones to graduate from the test tracks.

One night, as I took the grueling ride from the East Village to the North Bronx, necessitating dealing with several transfers (the L to the 4 to another 4, due to construction, to the 2, to the shuttle at 180th that covers the last few stops in the absence of the 5, which doesn't run late at night) and long waits for each transfer, a set of the shiny new cars rode in, empty, and pulled to a stop at 149th Street, where I was waiting. It was on the downtown tracks, so we northbound huddled masses could only stand and watch; there were mainly subway maintenance people and a few civilians (plus this one guy) on the downtown platform. The doors opened, but they were the doors that faced away from the platform -- you couldn't board it unless you jumped down on the tracks and climbed up into the cars. Then the booming pre-recorded voice of Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett encouraged us to Please stand clear of the closing doors!, the doors closed, and the empty train was off, to the laughter of the testers and the maintenance crew. Those of us on the other side, waiting forever for our train to show up, were too tired to be amused.

So I got to ride in one of the new cars today. It was clean and brightly lit; we'll see how long that lasts. The ride was a little smoother. But the most excellent parts were the PA and the LCD displays -- the displays tell you what train you're on (e.g. "6 TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE"), what the next stop is ("NEXT STOP BLEECKER ST"), and what time it is. The PA is all pre-recorded, and, more importantly, audible; many of the older cars have non-functioning or barely-functioning audio -- if you know where you're going, maybe it isn't a big deal if you can't hear the conductor's regular announcements, but missing the special announcements can be either a trivial matter, like when the impending final score of game one of the World Series was given over the PA; all I could understand was the inning (the 13th?) and that one team had pulled ahead. You can also miss more-important announcements, like the occasional rerouting of the 5 train to the west-side 2 line (only the exodus of those grumbling riders who were able to hear the message can provide a clue), or the skipping of certain local stops by the 6.

I presume the conductor will still make those special announcements, but the routine calls are now prerecorded -- the aforementioned Mr. Pellett handles the closing of the doors, while a woman's voice, not unlike what you'd hear on a phone menu ("If you wish to place a collect call, press 1..."), handles the rest: This is Spring Street. Next stop, Bleecker Street.; I'm not sure how the locations are triggered -- if a train is suddenly rerouted, will the Menu Lady call out the right information? And already there's a bug...

Menu Lady: This is the Number 6 to Brooklyn Bridge. Next stop...
Pellett: Please stand clear of the closing doors!

It still needs some work. And after riding the shiny new train for a few minutes, I was returned to the regular sights and sounds of the subway -- parts of the Canal Street station, eternally under construction, look like some rundown, abandoned subway station you might see in some dystopian B-movie about NYC; the presence of what looked like fresh blood on one of the many steps I have to climb took me even further away from all things shiny and new.


I discovered Napster this week, too late in the game, perhaps. My rationalization, if one is needed, is that I own much of the material I'm downloading, except I have it on vinyl, rather than CD; I stocked up on some Gentle Giant and Muhal Richard Abrams, et al. It's like home taping, really -- something no-one apologized for back in the day, and actually a good form of try-before-you-buy, which worked for me, back in the aforementioned day, though my purchases, then as now, have tended to be from indie labels or the obscure back-catalog of The Cartel, rather than a dozen Kid Britney Rockin'sync'inem CDs to go (Do you want fries with that?). The only CD I have that's remotely "now" and "popular" is the newest one from God's Peed, which I'll bring to the annual company shroom picnic next week**. But I digress.

Boo-yaa!

**If such a thing existed.