This is noded late, so I'll play a little ketchup.

I only had one day off, so I went to a couple bookstores (Eliot Bay Bookstore is huge, rambling and incredibly cool) and a toy store. I bought books for me, toys for the kiddies and wife. I found a really interesting book--"A book of ones own" by Thomas Mallon--excerpts of all sorts of diaries, just very good writing and interesting. Maybe I'll start daylogging again regularly. After spending everything but a single quarter, I lit up a cigar and wandered around the town, exploring downtown Seattle, watching people and just absorbing the place. I like the city--it's got a great vibe, caffeine charged and hallucinogenic, with a serious sense of historic place and value. Weighty, with java aftertones. Or something like that. I walked for about four hours, smoked two cigars and by the time I was done I wasn't sure if I could actually speak anymore or not, but that didn't really matter.

I would like to visit one of these places by myself some time and meet someone interesting and have conversations etc etc, but I think I'm too much of a loner, too much of an *observer* to interact that much. Weird, huh?

So anyway, that was actually all done on the 4th.

On the 5th I had duty, had to stay on the ship while P_I and the rest of the Northwestern/Canuck E2'ers met and had great fun and all that. I sat here on board and noded a little and read the Nerve.com site.

6th, Light off, general boredom, little watch, blah blah.

Ok, now we're caught up, sort of. Underway, leaving the bright lights of Seattle, and wishing I was home. Got email from my wife with very little of interst in it.I know she's busy, but a little more than just a --What day exactly will you be home? would be nice. But I'm just whining--too much bullshit and exile. I did read a great website today http://www.openletters.net. They publish a personal essay in the form of a letter every day, and send out a weekly compilation in a pdf file that you can print out and tote around, like a real magazine, which I like. I love printing things off the web and reading them later--the puder is not always the best thing for reading long things. How many really long nodes--noded etexts, chapters etc have you actually read all the way through? I have the attention span of a two year old on line. I can barely manage to pay attention to my own ramblings.

So, that's enough.

But oh, Avoid contact with the eyes.