Final Fantasy X is a single-player console RPG. It was released for the Playstation 2 on July 19, 2001 in Japan, then in America on December 18, 2001. It is a single-disk game, and the first of the franchise on the PS2.

The story centers around Tidus, a blitzball player from Zanarkand. During a game of the world's favorite sport, a giant fiend called Sin attacks the city, causing complete chaos and destruction. Tidus makes a valiant effort to save the city, with the help of his father's friend, Auron. Auron, however, seems to have different plans in mind. He tells Tidus "This is your story." When Tidus wakes up, he finds himself in a totally different world, and begins his quest to find a way home.

The story is excellently crafted, deep and intriguing throughout the entire game. It takes an average of 50 hours to play through, but due to the new experience system, it will take many, many more than that to max out your characters.

The game has seven playable characters, and eight summons that can be improved just as the PCs can.

Characters

Summons (Aeons)

One of the most notable changes to the game system is the absence of levels, and experience points. Instead, characters now gain Ability Points (AP), which cause one to gain Sphere Levels. Sphere Levels can be spent to change the location of the character on the Sphere Grid. Spheres can be spent to activate Nodes on the grid, which can teach characters new abilities or raise their attributes. There are also new maximums on HP and MP, 99,999 and 9,999 respectively.

The music of the game is very good, which is exactly what one would expect from Squaresoft and Nobuo Uematsu. Another interesting point is that instead of the pre-rendered backgrounds used in the previous 3 installments, the environments in FFX are all fully 3D, and rendered on-screen. Yuusuke Naora, the art director, did an incredible job implementing this, the game is beautiful. Finally, Yoshinori Kitase, the producer, has done an excellent job of tying the entire game together into a very presentable package.