Chrononauts (the game) is amazing fun. The main playing area is the timeline, an array of thirty-two cards representing dates from 1865 to 1999. These are divided into thirteen linchpins and nineteen ripplepoints. The time-travel philosophy adopted in the game is similar to that in the Back to the Future series of movies, and there's a nod to the series in the inclusion of an artifact called the Future Sports Almanac. Essentially, history is fairly elastic, but can be distorted by altering key events in history. These events are depicted by the linchpins, which have 'true' history on one side and alternate history on the other. Changes to these years 'ripple' forward, causing (hopefully temporary) paradoxes, where the future doesn't add up. By tweaking other details, these paradoxes are 'patched', completing the alternate history. When a patch card is played, the player doing so gets to draw an additional card, increasing his or her hand size and thus helping towards the ten-card victory. This aspect of play does not significantly affect the artifact side of things, except that there are two artifacts whose use can be prevented by a certain, specific play. Without further ado, Ladies and Gentlemen, the full Chrononauts timeline, as listed on the cards, with comments in italics by yours truly. The indented headings show the patches for each year.


And there you have it. Card information is copyright 1999, Looney Labs, Inc. Research and commentary by me.

A supplement to the game, 'Lost Identities', introduces a new quest, called 'The Most Toys', and lots of new IDs, including James T Kirk, H G Wells, another character who wants World War 3 to happen, and one who wants to destroy the whole universe.

It's quite diverting to work out what further dates might be included in any future (as it were) expansion. If anyone knows the reason behind alternate history dates I've not explained, I'd love to know.