Welcome to Everything2.com. Congratulations, you found us by searching for something random on Google. Surprisingly, you can't stop reading more and more. But why not stay a while longer and become a user? No? Well, perhaps I can talk you into it.

You can't run a cat over in a Humvee and then say, "The cat was trying to kill itself," unless you're on Everything2.

    What this equates to is two things
  1. Character is present in our nodes
  2. You never know what you're going to get here

You do however, have the ability to use a great search function, and find something you are looking for. Our inter-node web is perhaps one of the most extraordinary things here at E2. For instance, if you did a search for penis and clicked the ignore exact button, your results would bring up the following nodes:

To which side does your penis lean? - which you thought might be a political satire, but no, its actually a short factual about how everybody's penis lies to one side or the other on a normal basis.
Attempting to urinate with an erect penis - "An erect penis would not be problem in these circumstances if toilets were mounted on the wall..."
A pep talk for your penis - "Men with free e-mail services (like Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) received so many e-mails barraging them with negative messages about their members that the little guys actually shrank over the course of a year. Sad."

You can't find that anywhere else.

A place that allows you to search for a word, find informative commentary and humor, and you leave thinking you know at least one more random useless fact that you didn't know before. Or, maybe you did even learn something useful, like how to better give a woman better head like in Cunnilingus FAQ. If you took that word to Google, you'd get porn, take it to E2, and you get tips and step by steps!

You can't find that anywhere else.

And what about those soft links?
Not much explanation needed here. At the bottom of each node are wonderfully related or randomly related other nodes. You might be reading The penis mightier than the sword (well I wish that was actually written) and at the bottom you see The lack of pens at my local bank.

You can't find that anywhere else.

Community
I wish I could remember the long list of people who have commented on one of my writeups with constructive criticism. More than a few have caught my typos, spelling errors, and bad HTML. Others for better word choices, syntax, and grammar. Even a select few have taken me under their wing, and have substantially helped my writing skills. E2 has groups who have a bunch of writers with similar interests or knowledge, who come together on collaborating efforts. You can even start your own group of lackeys. I just started chess. In any case you'll make long term relationships with other geek-nerds who like to write too.

I'm writing to become a reporter. Due to E2 I've learned about ledes, and that alone is justification for joining E2. Further, every time I find something cool I bring it to e2 and share it with everyone else. Everyone else does the same thing too. E2 then becomes a collection of coolness.

    A list for the rest of reasons why E2 rocks
  • AspieDad is absolutely right. MySpace would be better without all the garbage layout. E2 is simple to the eye, but complex to the brain. Not to mention our editors spell check. And we have soul.
  • E2 is a place to disrespect and earn respect.
  • Voting, to find out how good your stuff is, and to tell everyone else how good/bad their stuff is.
  • It's better than Wikipedia.
  • E2 needs you, and you need E2.