A villain published by Marvel Comics. Sauron first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #59.

Karl Lykos was on a visit to Tierra del Fuego in southern Argentina, when he was attacked by pterodactyls. These creatures from the past had escaped from the confines of the Savage Land in Antarctica. The bite somehow triggered a change in Lykos, who now had the ability to drain the life energy from people. Lykos required this energy to live and continued to feed on people for his own survival.

One day, Lykos began to drain the unique energy of a mutant and the additional difference in the energy caused Lykos to transform into a pterodactyl-like human. Driven by a deep hatred of all things mammalian, this new creature began to call itself Sauron, in hopes of striking fear into the hearts of those who heard its name. Little did the lizard-brained beast realize that this name would strike fear in only those with really active imaginations, who had read Tolkien, while a name like Blood Lizard would scare the bejeezus out of the literate and illiterate alike.

But Sauron had very little to worry about in the frightening the crap out of the masses department. Looking like a cross between a pterodactyl and a man, Sauron had massive leathery wings under his arms, razor sharp claws, a nasty attitude, and a pair of indestructible pants. He also possessed the ability to hypnotize people with his gaze, placing him under his complete control. Where as most people would use this ability to make people act like a chicken in a comedy club, Sauron used the ability to cause people to attack each other.

Sauron clashed with the mutant X-Men on a number of occassions always being beaten back and often times returned to his form as Karl Lykos. At one point, he was believed to be cured from ever becoming Sauron again, but through the work of Mortimer Toynbee, the mutant known as the Toad and others, Lykos again became Sauron and joined Toynbee and others in the newest incarnation of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.