In the Star Trek universe, Sarek is a Vulcan ambassador who also happens to be the father of Mr. Spock. The character is played by actor Mark Lenard (who also portrays the Romulan commander in the original series episode "Balance of Terror"), and first appears in the TOS episode "Journey to Babel" (Stardate 3842.3, aired November 17th 1967).

Sarek was born on Vulcan in 2164, and died in 2368; at 202 years of age. He married three times, and had two sons. One with his first wife (a Vulcan princess), Sybok, born in 2224. His wife died shortly after Sybok's birth, and Sarek remarried with the human Amanda Grayson in 2229; his second son, Spock, was born the year thereafter.

Sarek was never close to any of his children though, and broke all contact with Spock when the latter joined Starfleet instead of studying at the Vulcan Science Academy. However, after Spock saved his father's life through a blood transfusion during the USS Enterprise's transport of ambassadors to the Babel Conferences, they came on better terms with each other.

Finally though, all contact between the two was broken in the beginning of the 24th century; over the Cardassian issue. At about the same time, Sarek's second wife Amanda died, and he once again remarried, with a human woman named Perrin.

Sarek was diagnosed with Bendii syndrome in 2366 and finally died at his home on Vulcan in 2368.

 

Sources: http://startrek.com/ and memory.