Promotion is a way of getting the message of a product to the target market. It is used to get new customers and to maintain existing ones. The objectives of promotion can tie in with a business’ overall objectives, for example, to become well known within a certain area, to gain a good reputation in a certain area, to make a lot of sales, or to make repeat sales. These are only a few examples. The ‘certain area’ could be as small as a few streets, or as large as a country, or even a worldwide market, although promotion for a global product would differ in each country.

There are two main categories of promotion; above the line and below the line. Above the line is the traditional kind of advertising such as posters, radio ads, TV ads, newspaper ads, etc. Below the line advertising inludes things such as special offers and exhibitions. Below the line is sometimes much cheaper than doing huge television campaigns, but different types of expenses are involved. Re-branding a whole line of products, for example, is very costly.

In chess, "promotion" refers to a rule that states that pawns that reach the eighth rank are replaced by ("promoted to") the controlling player's choice of a queen, rook, bishop, or knight. Promoted pawns almost always promote to a queen, since that is the strongest piece. However in certain very specific situations it may be better to promote to one of the other pieces. The second most common piece that pawns promote to after a queen is a knight, typically in order to place the enemy's king in check, whereas pawns promote to rooks or bishops extremely rarely, generally only for the purposes of lulz and mockery, but sometimes to avoid a stalemate. Promoting a pawn to a piece other than a queen is known as "underpromotion."

Pro*mot"tion (?), n. [L. promotio: cf. F. promotion.]

The act of promoting, advancing, or encouraging; the act of exalting in rank or honor; also, the condition of being advanced, encouraged, or exalted in honor; preferment.

Milton.

Promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. Ps. lxxv. 6.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.