Jo-jos are a common deli food in the Pacific Northwest, and I have not often seen them outside of that area. Sometimes they are referred to the much less catchy appelation savory potato wedges.

To describe a jo-ho as an overgrown french fry is somewhat accurate, but does not do full justice to the taste and texture of a jo-jo. For one thing, they are usually not salted and crispy as a french fry, giving the jo-jo a much more moist, chewy texture. Also, each they are usually spiced in a particular, jo-joey way.

Some jo-jo's are recognizable as a potato wedge that has been fried. Sometimes, when I am eating a jo-jo, especially one from Fred Meyer, I get the feeling that it is just a lump of potato products lumped together into a jo-jo shape.

Personally, as a vegetarian, I find jo-jos to be the best way to get my dose of greasy, spicy, deli food.

The residents of Vancouver, Washington, are known to have a special fondness for jo-jos.

Some of the best places to get good jo-jos include (but are not limited to): Smokey's Pizza in Vancouver, WA (sometimes you can get sweet potato jo-jos- yummy), the BP station just off of Yaquina Head Lighthouse in Newport, OR large wedges drenched in yummy goodness, and a particular shout out to the deli in Roy, WA for a particularly satisfying order of jo-jos.

Its best to avoid Fred Meyer jo-jos, as they are not the best jo-jos and will only disappoint you in most cases. A similar experience can be had all over the country by getting KFC potato wedges.

Some prefer ketchup but I love to dip them in ranch dressing.

Having grown up in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, OR), I find that I really miss the beer and the jo-jos.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.