if you ever get close to a human
and human behaviour
be ready to get confused

First adult solo album from Icelandic singer Björk. Released in 1993 on the indie label "One Little Indian" (Also a later version in 1995 with the additional song Play Dead), this was her first solo project since the mostly-cover album she made as a child. Debut is exactly was it claims to be, a debut. This is where the artist Björk presents herself and her style to the world for the first time. And boy, did she do it right. Björk came from the newly-split Sugarcubes in 1992, and started her solo career when she moved to London. She chose to go to London, since "A career in a fish factory making fish filets wasn't a viable choice" (Interview to SVT, 1995).

The sound of the album was like noone had heard before. Popish tunes, but not pop music. Björk adopted synths, vocals, hapsichords, guitars in a new sound. What made the sound so different from the other of that time was the strange vocals Björk blessed this album with. Her voice was everything but traditional crystal pure, with a strange northern accent.
Much of her album is about love in its many different angles. The songs reflect views upon love, from the exploding in love feeling of Violently happy to the caring unselfishness of Come to me. That said, the album is about more, but that's to the listener to decide.

Nevertheless, this was one of the defining albums of that year and firmly rooted Börk as an established singer. And hooked me on to Björk.

Human Behaviour - A song about the foolishness of mankind and also the first single from the album. The video was made by Stephane Sednaoui and was as strange at that time as the album was. Several mixes was released, and one mix by Underworld caught on in the London club scene.

Crying - A very popish tune about longing for your significant other. Strangely, it compells you to get up and move your booty.

Venus As A Boy - A playful tune about emo guys. The video features a playful Björk cooking an egg.

There's More to Life than This - Dance tune. But not in the way dance music usually is. This song is incapsulating. When she goes into the stall and locks the door, you feel like you're there with her.

Like Someone in Love - Romantic tune about being in love without quite understanding it.

Big Time Sensuality - The ultimate disco tune. Moby's MagiMix of this tune is so addictive, it should come with a warning label. The video was shot in NYC and features a dancing Björk on the back of a large trailer. She jumps, dances, skips and flirts with the camera, all in wonderfully static black and white. Fun fact: Her manager freaked when he saw what kind of danger she put herslf in by shoothing this video. One wrong step and she'd be under a NYC yellow cab.

One Day - Slower, more relaxing. Follow your dreams, dare to dream. It might come true. Slightly erotic song, but beautiful.

Aeroplane - The song is about understanding that the one you are with is the one for you, and what you would do for that person.

Come To Me - Simply beautiful song about a lover's unselfish commitment to take care of the one you love.

Violently Happy - A more aggressive tune. The video is rare and strange. Björk is filmed inside a confined space and cuts a teddy bear. Have you ever been in love? Like you feel that your heart wants to pop out of your chest and explode in wonderful fireworks? This song is all about that.

The Anchor Song - A toned down song, more like a sea chanty than anything else. I'm told that this is somewhat traditional song for Iceland, reflecting the love for the sea and the deep connection to the sea some Icelanders have. Wonderful sax duet as music background.


These songs were not included in the original album, but added later.

Play Dead - The title track from the movie The Young Americans, not a huge box office hit. This song was co-written with David Arnold and added to the second major revision of the album.

Atlantic - Haven't heard it. You can see some of the vids here: http://www.bjork.com/snipsbits/video/

D'e`but" (?), n. [F. d'ebut, prop., the first cast or throw at play, fr. but aim, mark. See Butt an end.]

A beginning or first attempt; hence, a first appearance before the public, as of an actor or public speaker.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.