Short for SVeriges Television (STV and ST was already taken) meaning Sweden's Television, the government owned television company in Sweden. They have four channels; SVT1, SVT2, SVT24 and SVT Europa. SVT1 and SVT2 are both terrestrial analogue channels showing a mix of entertainment, news, documentaries and sports. SVT24 is their 24 hour digital news channel that noone watches. SVT Europa is their digital satellite channel for Swedes living outside Sweden. Unlike many European countries, foreign programmes are not dubbed but subtitled.

->Subtitled or Dubbed?

Actually, since 1999, SVT has eight channels, and then I'm not counting SVT Europa. Of these eight, six are digital; and of these six, five are regional. SVT1 and SVT2 are the "good" old channels that have been around since 1969, although they are now offered both digitally and analogue.

SVT24 is the one non-regional digital-only channel that they have. It consists of nothing but news 24 hours a day, and no one ever watches it. The reason is that no one has a digital decoder, and those few who have one won't waste it on news that are better delievered on EuroNews.

SVT also have five digital regional channels. These are SVT Syd (in the south of Sweden), SVT Väst (in the west), SVT Östnytt 24 timmar (in the southeast), SVT Mälarkanalen (in Stockholm) and SVT Mitt (in the central parts of the country).

All of these five are broadcasted through the digital terrestrial network only; SVT24 is broadcasted through digital terrestrial network, digital satellite transmissions and digitally through cable.

SVT Europa, which is transmitted only outside of Sweden, is transmitted digitally via satellite.

 

Sveriges Television started in 1956 and is funded through license fees, advertising is not allowed (with the exception of sponsorship during major sport events).

Also, to clear up a common misconception: SVT is not government or state owned. It's a limited company owned by a foundation, which is supposed to keep it free from both state and commercial interests. It is however a fact that SVT is in part controlled by the state, since it's in full financed by a de facto tax (the "license fees for ownership of a television set"), which is set yearly by the government. Also, the board of directors for the foundation has very rarely included an individual who wasn't a politician (either a member of parliament, or a politician on a slightly lower level).

The British/European Ford equivalent to their American SVT division is called RS, (for Rallye Sport). They, too, have turned out high performance RS variants of popular Ford vehicles sold in Europe, including:

Founded in 1991, the Ford Motor Company Special Vehicle Team is responsible for all of Ford's high-performance production cars. Since 1992, they have produced the flagship Ford Mustang Cobra and the Ford F-150 Lightning. In 2002, they added the SVT Focus to their lineup. In the past, they have also produced the SVT Contour and various years of the Mustang Cobra R. The Lightning was the world's fastest production pickup truck until Dodge created the Viper-engined Ram SRT-10.

In addition, they work on high-performance concept cars, from the tuner-esque Focus R to the unholy might of the Mustang Boss 10.0 L (which goes from 0-60 mph / ~ 0-100 km in 1.5 seconds by forcing 855 bhp and 790 lb.-ft. of torque through a three-speed transmission). Most other concept work is handled by Ford's Concept Vehicle Team (CVT).

Sadly, there will likely be no SVT cars produced for the 2005 model year. This is because all three base models are undergoing major changes for 2005. The F-150 and Mustang are undergoing admirable face-lifts, while the SVT Focus seems to be cancelled in favor of the 2.3-liter Focus ST sedan. The Lightning and Cobra are slated to return, although rumours of Caroll Shelby's involvement may relegate the Cobra to second-best. In the meantime, SVT is rumoured to be working on the Ford GT supercar and the possible production of a new Ford Shelby Cobra (yes, Shelby is likely to be part of the model name).


2004 Mustang Cobra
4.6 L / 280 cid V8, supercharged
390 hp at 6,000 rpm
390 lb.-ft. at 3,500 rpm

2004 F-150 Lightning
5.4 L / 330 cid Triton V8, supercharged
380 horsepower at 4,750 rpm
450 lb.-ft. at 3,250 rpm

2004 SVT Focus
2.0 L / 121 cid Zetec L4
170 horsepower at 7,000 rpm
145 lb.-ft. at 5,500 rpm

2000 SVT Contour
2.6 L / 155 cid Duratec V6
200 horsepower at 6,600 rpm
169 ft.-lb. at 5,500 rpm

Source: svt.ford.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.