Location: Washington
Latitude: 36.206 N
Longitude: 121.4 W
Height: 3,742 Meters (12,276 feet)
Type: Stratovolcano
Latest eruption more than 3,500 years ago

From a climbing standpoint, Mt Adams is a big pile of dirt. This has the side effect of having many beautiful meadows surrouding it, thick with birds and other wildlife. See Bird Creek Meadows.

It is located aproximately 2 hours from Seattle, or 1.5 hours from Portland, near the Columbia River. One entire side of it is under the authority of the local indian tribe, and access for that side must be granted via them, which is complicated.

Serving Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, and intermediate points

Amtrak train numbers: 752 and 753

Predecessor railroad train numbers: See Mount Rainier

In the early 1990s, the states of Washington and Oregon began to lay the groundwork for future high speed rail service between Eugene, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver. As part of the effort, Washington funded an additional Amtrak train frequency between Seattle and Portland, which debuted in 1994 as the Mount Adams, usually operated with a Talgo train that the state of Washington was leasing as a test of high-speed service on existing track.

The Talgo proved its worth, and eventually five new Talgo consists were built in the United States for Amtrak and the Washington State Department of Transportation. Once Talgos were providing all service on the corridor, all the trains were renamed to the Cascades.

Condensed historical timetables:

  READ DOWN                       READ UP
(1994)  (1997)                (1997)  (1994)
11:30A   8:00A Dp Seattle  Ar  9:50P  11:50A
12:20P   8:50A    Tacoma       8:49P  10:50A
 3:25P  11:55A Ar Portland Dp  6:00P   8:00A

The Amtrak Train Names Project

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.