The Puget Sound is an inlet, connected to the Pacific Ocean. The whole thing is in Washington and the body of water seperates the mainland from the Olympic Penninsula. The San Juan Islands and the island of Victoria are there. Seattle's waterfront is on the Sound, as are Olympia's and Bellingham's. Most of the islands are populated by the rich, the elderly, and large flocks of tourists.

Discovered in 1787, the Sound was explored and named in 1792 by Capt. George Vancouver for his aide, Peter Puget.

Which was, perhaps, an elegantly eighteenth century way of declaring (geographically and for all time) a love that dared not speak its name.

Serving Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, and intermediate points

Amtrak train numbers: 198 and 199, then 797 and 798

Predecessor railroad train numbers: See Mount Rainier

A nondescript train on the Seattle-Portland corridor, the Puget Sound was the Mount Rainier's sister train on that route from the beginning of Amtrak in 1971 until the Pioneer began running between Seattle, Portland, and Ogden in 1979. The Puget Sound was discontinued, but the new Pioneer meant there was still the same service frequency, three trains daily between Seattle and Portland.

Condensed historical timetables:

   READ DOWN                      READ UP
(1972)  (1975)                (1975)  (1972)
 8:30A   8:30A Dp Seattle  Ar 11:50A  12:45P
 9:20A   9:28A    Tacoma      10:50A  11:50A
12:15P  12:15P Ar Portland Dp  8:00A   9:00A

The Amtrak Train Names Project

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.