cite is an HTML tag that is used to specify a citation or reference within an HTML document. While seldom used, this tag is good for specifying book or movie titles, attributing quotes, or just generally pointing someone toward a reference (usually) without linking to it. While the tag usually renders text in italics, the tag should not be used for this purpose.

See also: blockquote, em, i, q

Attributes

The cite tag does not have any required HTML attributes. Nevertheless, it has numerous allowable attributes including:

Usage

To use the cite tag, simply place opening and closing HTML tags around the citation. For example:

In 1998, the <cite>International Electrotechnical Commission</cite> decided that 1024 bytes should be referred to as a kibibyte rather than a kilobyte.

On browsers that support this tag, this will typically cause the words "International Electrotechnical Commission" to be displayed in italics.

Everything2 Support?

E2 does provide limited support for the cite tag. It does not allow the use of any of its HTML attributes. Below is how your browser displays the example above here on Everything2:

In 1998, the International Electrotechnical Commission decided that 1024 bytes should be referred to as a kibibyte rather than a kilobyte.

If you would like to use this tag with any of its attributes, you can do so in your Notelet Nodelet.

Common Browser Implementations*

Most web browsers support this tag, as it has been around since at least HTML 2. Most browsers will display the citation in italics.

Previous HTML Tag: center (previous E2 supported HTML tag: br
Next HTML Tag: code
See Also: HTML tags and HTML attributes


* Please feel free to send me information about how other browsers implement this tag.

Cite (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cited; p. pr. & vb. n. Citing] [F. citer, fr. L. citare, intens. of cire, ci�xc7;re, to put in motion, to excite; akin to Gr. to go, Skr. to sharpen.]

1.

To call upon officially or authoritatively to appear, as before a court; to summon.

The cited dead, Of all past ages, to the general doom Shall hasten. Milton.

Cited by finger of God. De Quincey.

2.

To urge; to enjoin.

[R.]

Shak.

3.

To quote; to repeat, as a passage from a book, or the words of another.

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose. Shak.

4.

To refer to or specify, as for support, proof, illustration, or confirmation.

The imperfections which you have cited. Shak.

5.

To bespeak; to indicate.

[Obs.]

Aged honor cites a virtuous youth. Shak.

6. Law

To notify of a proceeding in court.

Abbot

Syn. -- To quote; mention, name; refer to; adduce; select; call; summon. See Quote.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.